collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer budget for next season  (Read 19900 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Transfer budget for next season
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
The one saving grace I thought after they appointed the negative tit was that they had to throw some money at it to give him and them any chance of it working.

They didn't last summer and I don't hold out much hope for this. I think Bent will be on his bike mind so it depends what deal we do there I suppose.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
Bent will go and the proceeds will go to RL (a la Young, Downing) Depending on which league we're in (likely to be the Championship) there will be no budget - just a reliance on Bosmans and our youth system.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
Bent will go and the proceeds will go to RL (a la Young, Downing) Depending on which league we're in (likely to be the Championship) there will be no budget - just a reliance on Bosmans and our youth system.

The proceeds from Young & Downing did not "go to RL" and we're not likely to be in the Championship.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
Isn't the wage bill as  big a factor as any net transfer budget spend ? Both in terms of players being cleared off the wage bill and what ridiculously inflated amount you have to pay for average journeyman footballers. 

Offline Villanation

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
For me there is no way around this, even with a new manager he will need to get into the transfer market with 25ML+ at least, Villa need a complete rebuild and any monies from players sold should also go straight into the kitty in addition.

IMO we need 35 to 40ML worth of new player, bearing in mind the inevitable departures.

Offline ez

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
Don't forget Randy mentioned a big name signing in the summer a little while ago :)

Offline Villanation

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
Don't forget Randy mentioned a big name signing in the summer a little while ago :)

I know who that is, its been on the cards since Jan  ;)

Offline picicata

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

*Insert Vennegoor of Hesselink joke here*

Offline picicata

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »
It makes no sense to me that Randy would, after cutting off large investment in the squad and selling all our better players, suddenly decide to start investing in the playing squad again. That would be completely stupid and nonsensical.

The manager will get what ever he raises from player sales plus £10 for his birthday in a nice card.... unless we get outside investment.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
I heard the tenner was in the form of a book token.

Offline picicata

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »

Probably a token for GAME knowing our management.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »
I go with the scottish bruisers notion.   Loads of players with tattoos and shaven heads and scars not caused by football and wives who look like Brian Moore.   Hutton clones.

He will be like Navin R Johnson in The Jerk.   All I want is this remote.   All I want is this remote and this lamp.   All I want is this remote, this lamp and this ashtray.   All I want is this remote, this lamp, this ashtray and this telephone.   All I want is this remote...etc...etc...

£3-5 million tops.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
It makes no sense to me that Randy would, after cutting off large investment in the squad and selling all our better players, suddenly decide to start investing in the playing squad again. That would be completely stupid and nonsensical.

The manager will get what ever he raises from player sales plus £10 for his birthday in a nice card.... unless we get outside investment.

It does in a way doesn't it? He had to reign in the spending a bit in order to get the wage budget under control.

I don't think we'll spend big, certainly not this Summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did again in the future under Randy.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »

Probably a token for GAME knowing our management.

*Insert Vennegoor of Hesselink joke here*

Two visits, two scores.  Good work feller  ;)

Offline picicata

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
It does in a way doesn't it? He had to reign in the spending a bit in order to get the wage budget under control.

I don't think we'll spend big, certainly not this Summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did again in the future under Randy.

But we are now pretty much back where he found us when he took us over. In order to get us back to challenging the top 6, he would again have to invest pretty heavily and/ or find an exceptionally talented management team. If he was still interested in winning things and being at the right end of the league surely a more controlled manner of wage cutting would have been employed rather than stopping investment in the squad completely. I just can't see him investing in the squad again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal