collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:00:26 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:57:59 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:00:26 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:57:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Demitri_C
[Today at 12:51:31 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 12:48:46 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shay Given  (Read 15344 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Shay Given
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Didn't we have the same problem last year though?
We have since we stopped playing 3 CB's along the back. It has got even worse this year though. We have let in more than anyone else I'm sure.
I'm not sure if its a problem with the keeper or the defenders to be honest but it is a massive problem. If every match the commentator is mentioning our weakness I'm sure any team that plays us will try and win corners, free-kicks and throw-ins and have a massive belief they will score from it.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 08:23:55 AM »
Given's top class for me. He's not a big guy so getting off his line is more difficult. If he's  "great shot stopper" I'd rather him stay on his line and try to make a save than come up painfully short when punching a cross.
If he's coming up 'painfully short' in any area of his game (which he is) then he's hardly 'top class' is he?

It's not like we're in the position to be that picky about a lot of positions so it's not the end of the world, but Given is precisely what I thought we were getting in the summer. A fantastic shot-stopper who is very mediocre at most other aspects of goalkeeping.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:31:01 AM by Dave »

Offline Archie

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
It is true that Given is  a good shot stopper but  struggles from crosses,  but he can't be the problem, as he is at his first year in claret and blue, and we have been conceding goals from set pieces since three years. The prpblem is the the CB can't defend on set pieces.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
Given's top class for me. He's not a big guy so getting off his line is more difficult. If he's  "great shot stopper" I'd rather him stay on his line and try to make a save than come up painfully short when punching a cross.
If he's coming up 'painfully short' in any area of his game (which he is) then he's hardly 'top class' is he?

It's not like we're in the position to be that picky about a lot of positions so it's not the end of the world, but Given is precisely what I thought we were getting the summer. A fantastic shot-stopper who is very mediocre at most other aspects of goalkeeping.

You are saying given is very mediocre at most aspects of goalkeeping ? This coming from someone who last summer was singing the plaudits of brad guzan- ridiculous dave !
shay given is one of the few reasons we are out of the bottom 3 right now and saved us many points this season.

You never wanted him here in the 1st place.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:38:36 AM by eastie »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »

It's not like we're in the position to be that picky about a lot of positions so it's not the end of the world, but Given is precisely what I thought we were getting the summer. A fantastic shot-stopper who is very mediocre at most other aspects of goalkeeping.

You are saying given is very mediocre at most aspects of goalkeeping ? This coming from someone who last summer was singing the plaudits of brad guzan- ridiculous dave !

I'm struggling to see which bit is ridiculous. Our greatest period of defensive stability this season came with Guzan in goal rather than Given. They were playing behind the same defence, so what do you put that down to?

If you want to let us know which other bits of goalkeeping Given excels at apart from shot-stopping, feel free to make us a list.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
He does exactly what Friedel did - stay on his line, but he's slightly more agile and a better shot stopper.
We could expect better but its not as vital as other positions and I cant see him being dropped any time soon. It's important to get a really good number 2 until Siegrist is ready for senior action in a couple of years.
I'd like Guzan to stay but I reckon he will do one.

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
The problem is the defence , not shay given, he has been a top keeper for over a decade , hardly mediocre , yes he struggles at times on crosses but who doesnt , shay given is our best keeper since bozzy.

we need a total new back 4 in the summer but i have no worries about the keeper.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »
Guzan will rightly go, I think he has the potential to become a top keeper in the mould of Freidal, and Given is blocking him now. If it were me I would sell Given and play Brad Jnr, but we won't do that, Given has a 5 year deal on 50k a week, so we have to defend in a way which makes up for his complete lack of authority on crosses.

Peter was spot on above though, we concede set piece goals in the main through an inability to get a blocker on the near post. We are a fairly little team in truth, and the 2 centre backs often end up with people having the run on them as the ball comes across. Heskey when on the field should be near post with 1 aim, but for some reason rarely is used like that. I would love a couple of our signings this summer in midfield and upfront to be 6"2 plus, to give us that extra height in there.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
Given is Burridge...in disguise!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »
There was one incident yesterday when Baker could have let the ball run to Given but it appeared that the keeper did not give the defender any instructions, so Baker did the right thing and put the ball out of play.

Given's command/communication appears lacking.

Not sure that Brad Jr is any better though

Offline picicata

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
Great shot stopper? Yes. Great Goalkeeper? No. He doesn't communicate and organise his defence well enough, along with his obvious failings at crosses, to be considered a great keeper.

However, as we are a club that now aspire to be mid table at best he is good enough for where we are, although I still think it was madness giving him a 5 year contract!

Offline philthebar

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
I am getting fed up of saying this;

He does not command the area
He does not guide/talk to his defenders enough
He does not come for crosses
His distribution is poor.

He is a good shot stopper, but how many of those shots have come from the opposition picking the ball up from our defensive headers, when the keeper should have either taken the ball himself or directed the centre half to try to clear the ball in a certain direction.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
You can count the number of keepers that dominate their space on one hand the reason being the opposition place a forward immediately in forn of him to stop his run, a few years back it would be penalised for obstruction but it's gone the way of shirt pulling and holding on. He saved a couple against Pool that not many would have had the reflexes to save, of all our problems he comes way down the list.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
Yesterday would have been a good time to play Guzan.

Given is good at shot stopping but Stoke don't shoot.

Brad would have been better dealing with the rough stuff.

Offline eastie

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
You can count the number of keepers that dominate their space on one hand the reason being the opposition place a forward immediately in forn of him to stop his run, a few years back it would be penalised for obstruction but it's gone the way of shirt pulling and holding on. He saved a couple against Pool that not many would have had the reflexes to save, of all our problems he comes way down the list.

This.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal