collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Only top 6 have lost fewer.  (Read 7861 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Only top 6 have lost fewer.
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Didn't know where to put this, so started a thread.

Only the current top 6 have lost fewer games than us. Which obviously means to many draws because we Definitely haven't won enough.

I know stats can be misleading but does this indicate that with a stronger defence we will be a much more effective team?
I'm sure we have lost the most points from winning positions aswell.

The one thing I would trust Alex McLeish to do, is build a solid defence if he can buy the players.

Now I would rather we replace Alex, but all the signs are that he is here to stay and Stan Collymore has said (yesterday) that There is going to be major investment in the squad this summer,

So has McLeish had a rough ride or is he really a negative manager who is scared of 'bigger' teams? Or is it just that he has realised our defence is that shit we just have to survive this season to start again in the summer?

Offline picicata

Re: Only top 6 have lost fewer.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
No, this is how his teams play. The number of wins and losses will vary very slightly but his teams in the premiership have always drawn more than anything else.

He is an over cautious and negative manager and he will remain so.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
We're always among the top drawers and it's why most people think we are boring aston vanilla.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
7th place is very good after the loss of Young and Downing.
Randy should offer Alex a longer improved contract. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »
I wonder how many teams who have lost more at home than us?

Offline Holte132

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
I wonder how many teams who have lost more at home than us?

WBA (9), Bolton (10), Blackburn (10) & Wolves (11). QPR have lost the same amount at home as us (7).

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
Or to put it another way, only the bottom two have won fewer games than us. 

Offline wombat

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
Or to put it another way, only the bottom two have won fewer games than us. 

I think this is more the point. I personally would say we aren't very difficult to beat despite the stat that we haven't lost as many as the middle/lower table.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
Only Wigan have scored fewer goals at home than we have. That just about sums up the entertainment on offer at Villa Park.

Offline moetvillain

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:29:57 PM »
How many of the top 6, even the league, have played as many home grown players as we have this season?  That makes me more proud than anything else written on these pages, and something I dont think any of the other teams can boast.  Brilliant work by the coaches and early talent spotters.  Thats entertainment to me.  Zogman, have you watched Wigan play?  In terms of "football entertainment" I would suggest that they rank well above a lot of teams higher in the league.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
Well quite, maybe I should have said that the stat was an indictment of our football's efficacy rather than its entertainment.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »
No, this is how his teams play. The number of wins and losses will vary very slightly but his teams in the premiership have always drawn more than anything else.

He is an over cautious and negative manager and he will remain so.
Whilst he is our manager we will never average much more than a goal a game.  That is why we will never be anything but crap under him.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »
You could look on the positives of that statistic, but it's undeniable we have been absolutely dreadful in a fair few of those games and thoroughly deserved to lose.

Fulham away, Everton home, Everton away, QPR at home, Newcastle home coming to mind (although I may be wrong, just recalling).

QPR away and Sunderland away were games that we lost late leads, but were bettered in terms of our play on the day.

Then there were Swansea away and Wolves at home where the opposition were so poor that any sort of period of attacking dominance would have surely seen us pick up extra points.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
How many of the top 6, even the league, have played as many home grown players as we have this season?  That makes me more proud than anything else written on these pages, and something I dont think any of the other teams can boast.  Brilliant work by the coaches and early talent spotters.  Thats entertainment to me.  Zogman, have you watched Wigan play?  In terms of "football entertainment" I would suggest that they rank well above a lot of teams higher in the league.

I agree.  Blooding all these Academy lads is making this season for me.  If they form the nucleus of future Villa sides then all the frustration will be worthwhile. 

Offline Aston Manor

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »

I agree.  Blooding all these Academy lads is making this season for me.  If they form the nucleus of future Villa sides then all the frustration will be worthwhile.

I know the point you're making but I fear that if they are the nucleus of the team then we'll be in a division below the one we're in now. For me the team has a slight Paul Kerr, David Norton, Darren Bradley etc feeling to it at the moment and look what happened to that team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal