collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Celtic Friendly  (Read 37646 times)

Offline villanic

Re: Villa v Celtic Friendly
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
Ian Taylor on Talksport in a bit giving his backing to getting this game on.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
The politics of this make it unwise.

The Stan connection is nice, but you cannot undo the past.

Eh?

Celtic are a nationalist, separatist, anti- British club with a history of overt IRA support amongst their fans,and  banning poppy day collections.This isn't ancient history- this is now, this bile which still prompts fines and arrests amongst their support.

Many of our support remember the pub bombings and are disgusted by the substantial support amongst their support  for views that many in Northern Ireland have moved on from.

I have no problem with Celtic offering whatever moral or financial support for Stan that they may wish either directly, or for charitable causes.

You may disagree with me, and that is fine. But I am surprised that you are unaware of the vitriolic bigotry which charecterises a significant section of their support and the affront that causes many of us with Birmingham roots.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
Any more politics on this thread and it will be locked for the second time, which will be shameful considering its theme.

Offline SX150

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »
A model professional and a worthy cause but a definate no for Villa Park.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
Any more politics on this thread and it will be locked for the second time, which will be shameful considering its theme.

Hear Hear

Offline Aston Manor

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
I think the game definitely should be at Villa park as this is where Stan plays, his family live, and he is the captain of this club.

As for the politics I understand why certain supporters may not like the political persuasions and certain view points of certain sections of the Celtic support but this is about Stan. Let's try and remember that and not gt into petty insults.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
The politics of this make it unwise.

The Stan connection is nice, but you cannot undo the past.

Eh?

Celtic are a nationalist, separatist, anti- British club with a history of overt IRA support amongst their fans,and  banning poppy day collections.This isn't ancient history- this is now, this bile which still prompts fines and arrests amongst their support.

Many of our support remember the pub bombings and are disgusted by the substantial support amongst their support  for views that many in Northern Ireland have moved on from.

I have no problem with Celtic offering whatever moral or financial support for Stan that they may wish either directly, or for charitable causes.

You may disagree with me, and that is fine. But I am surprised that you are unaware of the vitriolic bigotry which charecterises a significant section of their support and the affront that causes many of us with Birmingham roots.

Celtic are a Scottish club - the first British one to win the European Cup.  Their former Chairman was John Reid former Armed Forces Minister for the UK government. 

A lot of Celtic fans are Irish as the club was founded by the Irish diaspora in the UK (Glasgow, Scotland).  It's a small minority of supporters who would be of the knuckledragger mentality associated with the politics of Northern Ireland. 

You can't tar a whole football club because of the actions of a vocal minority.  I've known plenty of Celtic fans serving in the British armed forces.  A match between our two clubs would be a magnificent gesture to Stan Petrov - that is all that matters here.  Inaccurate generalisations is the cause of all the problems between Celtic and Rangers, it's not our business as Villa fans, surely,  to fall into the small minded trap of quack politics?  Aston Villa is above all of that.

The clubs have played each other  on a number of occasions in the past (as recently as '86)...why on earth should they not play now?  I can think of no more fitting or appropriate reason for a friendly between two clubs.  Playing for Stan and raising money is all that matters here.  This is what football should be all about: doing good for society and helping people.  A match between the two clubs for Stan would be in the best traditions of Aston Villa and William McGregor.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
Absolutely should be at VP.  He's our captain.
No disrespect to Gabby.  Or, indeed, anybody else.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
Why not make it 2 legged - one at start one at end of season.

All then happy.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Interesting reading the comments on the Celtic forums about Stan, they really love him, putting him in the their top 3 players of recent times and add to the fact he spent 7 years up there, they're obviously very upset to hear about his illness. The mention of a game against ourselves has drawn great support, giving them an opportunity to demonstrate their affection for him.

As I mentioned in the 'other' thread, I'd expect nothing less than a love-in and an unforgetable atmosphere at Villa Park but all for the right reasons. The only issue is the number of Celtic fans that would want to attend the game, so the most logical solution would be to have two games, one at Villa Park and one at Parkhead. I for one hope it can be arranged.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Stan and his family must be fully consulted at all stages and hopefully he is well enough to attend,  I would love to see a two legged event and the winners presented with the Petrov Cup by the man himself. Admission prices £19 at each game, maybe with a Villa v Celtic old stars game before the main event.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Obviously there would be a large contingent from Celtic that would want to attend along with plenty of Villa fans so how about playing it half way between the 2 at a larger capacity stadium where both sets of supporters get
50/50 allocation. Only Villa & Celtic can sell tickets to keep some control. Maybe moneybags citeh could allow the use of the Ethiad. Just a thought.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
The whole idea is spiralling a bit out of control with talk of neutral venues.

A game at each venue sounds the fairest way to do it given Stan's popularity at Celtic.

Offline Drakhan

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »
Stan and his family must be fully consulted at all stages and hopefully he is well enough to attend,  I would love to see a two legged event and the winners presented with the Petrov Cup by the man himself. Admission prices £19 at each game, maybe with a Villa v Celtic old stars game before the main event.

A two legged event would be a great idea. Also, the old stars game would be a good idea.

If it is allowed why not have a smaller sized replica of the European cup with both clubs engraved on it showing the european cup " Celtic Fc European cup winners 1967 winners" on one side and "Aston Villa European cup winners 1982" on the other side and headlined with "STILYIAN PETROV CUP" above them.
Both clubs could play for it.
The first match i think should be held at Villa Park.

As for politics, please don't bring it into this. I am ashamed of some of the idiots who still sing those reprehensible songs, as is the club and they are gradually being weeded out.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
I have read the threads and thought about this. I really believe that this could be the start of a great friendship between our clubs. It would be great for Stan it would raise money for a great cause.
This not about politics it is about a genuine feeling for a very decent man and allowing people to come together and feel that they can help in some way. I would look forward to sharing a few beers with our friends from across the Border.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal