collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby named as captain  (Read 24821 times)

Offline villanic

Re: Gabby named as captain
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
Poor decision in my opinion and a populist one, let's get them off my back by naming Gabby skipper.
Better candidates are Collins or Cuellar, or in fact anyone with an ounce of leadership qualities, which Gabby does not posess.

Collins doesn’t strike me as captain material and there are rumors he is off in the summer. Cuellar could do the job but again might be going at end of season.

I’m not saying Gabby is the best choice but I think he’ll be here next season and I think it’s a potential long term appointment because there is a good chance Stan won’t be back next season if at all.

Offline frank black

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Shows the calibre of our squad if Gabby is the best option after Petrov. That's one priority for next season IMO, a leader on the pitch.  Oh and a manager off it.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
Im amazed Heskey didnt get it

Why? It's not like he's a regular starter is it.

because the manager and all players look up to him.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
This season can't end quick enough.

Online ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Poor decision in my opinion and a populist one, let's get them off my back by naming Gabby skipper.
Better candidates are Collins or Cuellar, or in fact anyone with an ounce of leadership qualities, which Gabby does not posess.

Collins doesn’t strike me as captain material and there are rumors he is off in the summer. Cuellar could do the job but again might be going at end of season.

I’m not saying Gabby is the best choice but I think he’ll be here next season and I think it’s a potential long term appointment because there is a good chance Stan won’t be back next season if at all.

I agree it will be long term under McLeish, but I think it is a dangerous appointment long term. Short term, I would have gone for Collins till the end of the season as he was essentially doing the job at the weekend, Gabby was non existent and just does not give me confidence in him as a leader. I don't like forwards as captains anyway, defenders are always my choice but there you go. Lets hope he can lead us out of trouble. Long term, I am not even sure if he fits into the team effectively, let alone supposedly being a legend. The manager knows fans just blindly think he is Villa therefore some kind of demi god.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
Its a McLeish , trying to get the fans on his side to me , with Gabby being a Villa fan . It should have been Collins.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »
I think Given would have probably made a decent skipper.

Misread that as decent keeper.

Which I thought he was untill this season. Overated by the Geordie obsessed media, we should have known really as they were never famous for their defending. Probably one of the worst goalies we've had at dealing with crosses since Burridge. In the current atmosphere of 'blame it all on McLeish' he's got away with a few in recent weeks. 2 at Arsenal and another two corners on Saturday.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:49:51 PM by John »

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
Sorry but I can't believe anyone would suggest Collins (or Dunne for that matter) as captain of our great club. These are people whose idea of leadership and setting examples to the younger players was to get pissed and allegedly attack one of the coaches, one of our greatest players. They shouldn't even still be at the club let alone be captain.

It shows exactly what our problem is when you have to pick a captain out of a pool of senior players consisting of Collins, Warnock, Cuellar (nothing against him but probably off in the summer), Ireland, Heskey and Gabby (again nothing against him but a leader of men? Never).

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
I was wondering when Draculas name would crop up. Budgie too was a great shot stopper but lacked confidence in controlling his area. However we knew what to expect with Shay as hes always been like that but his general goalkeeping for us has been excellent until the last few games.

Bosnich was first rate at crosses and intimidating the opposition.People tend to remember him for flattening Herr Klinsman in the area. He also sent God flying in the same incident.  Scared of nobody Bosnich but weak at goal kicking.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
Good call.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »
Best option really. I'm fully in favour for the principle of just giving it to the longest-serving player anyway.

If there's somebody who is great at geeing other people along then they don't need a bit of elastic to get on with it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
I'd have gone for Ciaran Clark if he was fit.  Yes he's young but he's one of the few players in the squad who is very vocal.  I think he'd have been a better player for it as well as he comes across as the kind of player who likes to be a big part of things and have a say in what's going on.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »
Gabby is dangerously out of form and lacking in confidence imo, He does not need to concentrate on motivating everyone else. Bad move, Given or Collins for me

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:17 AM »
Yeah. give it to Collins. He's built like a brick shit house, moans at the ref and fouls a lot. It's makes perfect sense.

In the real world, Collins is bloody lucky to be a Villa player after last season's antics.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
Yeah. give it to Collins. He's built like a brick shit house, moans at the ref and fouls a lot. It's makes perfect sense.

In the real world, Collins is bloody lucky to be a Villa player after last season's antics.

And he's a bit rubbish anyway, is James 'Magners in the socks' Collins. At least Gabby's just in bad form - Collins just isn't a very good player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal