collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you have ANY faith left in McLeish ?  (Read 42726 times)

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: Do you have ANY faith left in Mcleish ?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »
I voted 'no'.

He will do as he typically tends to: Defensive, dull, 31 goals in 30 games football.

What they saw in him to hire him still alludes me.

Offline villanic

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Absolutely non at all.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »
I have always said he has to be given time.

I do feel it was the wrong move by Randy, an unpopular choice with very little chance of success given the constraints he'd have to work under.
But, he still came, despite all the constraints, that took some balls. And I feel that is the reason why he must be given time, not endless, but he must have the chance to build his team and not be expected to be using MO'Ns players 5 years on.
Personally I'd say until Christmas next season. By then his team should be in place and if we're struggling then maybe that will be the time for Randy to decide.

It took balls for himto accept the job?  Sorry Nigel but that kind of nonsense gets my goat. It's like saying it takes balls to win the lottery.  He's on two million quid a year, more than most will earn in an entire lifetime.  His PL credibility was non-existent, I can't imagine any other PL club touching him with a bargepole, and he gets offered a lifeline.  And the worst he'll endure is a bit of abuse and then eventually the sack.  I bet he pisses himslef laughing when he hears about people feeling sorry for him.

Spot on from kt.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
We have some superb young players coming through at the club, as demonstrated by the 7 players playing on Saturday who came via our academy. If he stays - he'll destroy them and all the work put in by others to get them where they are.  Petrov's illness (quite rightly)  took the focus away from McLeish on Saturday and probably will for the remainder of the season.
I've been a massive fan of Randy Lerner and thank him for all he has done at this club, but his choice of managers is baffling and shows exactly his lack of football knowledge. He needs to get a Graham Taylor/Ron Atkinson/Brian Little type figure on the board who identifies with the fans and knows the game....and quickly.

He won't sack McLeish, we can't afford to.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
10 1n 25 this season 9 in 16 under GH

9 in 16 was a real purple patch for him.  His top flight career record is 100 in 229 games.  He's played 22 league games for us under AM and scored 9.  Basically, he's scored his average this season, so hardly 'blunted'.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »

9 in 16 was a real purple patch for him.  His top flight career record is 100 in 229 games.  He's played 22 league games for us under AM and scored 9.  Basically, he's scored his average this season, so hardly 'blunted'.
What about the 36 in 63 for Sunderland?
He'd have scored more under practically anyone else
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:33:02 AM by ZoggyAlways »

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 10:31:43 AM »
He was on a hiding to nothing from the day he took the job with a large section of the fans not wanting him.In my opinion the players have hidden behind his unpopularity and delivered far too many substandard performances.I can't blame McLeish for example for the amount of goals we've gifted the opposition from set pieces.Basic football skills which are learnt as a schoolboy haven't been produced.The problem with having McLeish at the helm is that they are out of the spotlight and the manager receives the flak instead.
His signings.......Well I can't recall seeing too many negative posts when N'Zogbia and Given were signed.In fact there was a hint of genuine excitement with N'Zogbia.For me he's been a major disappointment but i'm not knocking McLeish for that.IMO Mcleish strikes me a good guy and has more success than failure on his CV.However, he'll never be the right man for the Aston Villa job.Similar to the way George Graham who despite winning a cup was never the right man for Spurs.
In all my time following Villa we've had fans who seem to revel in moaning.Even during my favourite spell under big Ron there were grumbles, top 6 and Wembley appearances under MoN wasn't enough either.Throw in a manager who many didn't want in the first place and it's meltdown time. We're no longer in the financial position to compete with the top 4, but as Everton show consistently and Newcastle have this term we have the resources to trouble the top six. A change of manager and all round attitude of the club is called for, and for me i'd be going all out to appoint Paul Lambert, but unless we do get relegated i can't see anyone but McLeish being in charge next season. Time to get on with it and support the team to the points we need to ensure we aren't looking at fixtures such as Peterborough away next season.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
I'm still wary about the clamour for Rodgers and Lambert, i'd like to see how they perform in their second seasons.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
I'd even give Di Canio a shot over AM. A least things would be entertaining! Plus he wouldn't accept not being a winner!

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
I'm still wary about the clamour for Rodgers and Lambert, i'd like to see how they perform in their second seasons.
Norwich are below us in the form table at the mo.I'd still take Lambert like a shot over Mcleish

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
No, Non, Nine, fuck off now!

The fact we'll have to pay him off to get rid of the ****** annoys me

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »

Lambert was my choice in the summer. He's taken Norwich from the bottom of league one to Premiership safety and that for me is a tremendous achievement. I reckon should Redknapp take the England job, Moyes will go to Spurs and Lambert will go to Everton.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »

A claim that is, of course, impossible to prove either way and takes no account of losing his main supply lines from last season.

The fact remains his career average is just under 1 in 2 and this season he's scored just ubder 1 in 2, so again I think the use of the word 'blunted' is just plain wrong.   

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
Re Lambert and Rodgers, similar things were being aid about Phil Brown a few years ago and even Golloway last season.  Also George Burley when he had a good first PL season with Ipswich - followed by relegation and oblivion.   I do like the way they try to play proper football though.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »

A claim that is, of course, impossible to prove either way and takes no account of losing his main supply lines from last season.

The fact remains his career average is just under 1 in 2 and this season he's scored just ubder 1 in 2, so again I think the use of the word 'blunted' is just plain wrong.   
OK,I believe Mcleish's poor tactics and negative outlook has had a noticeable effect on Bents goal tally and 10 in 25 is as close to 1:3 as it is to 1:2

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal