collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you have ANY faith left in McLeish ?  (Read 42690 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Do you have ANY faith left in Mcleish ?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
None whatsoever Even if he bought good players in, he would turn them into crap ones  soon enough with his negativity.We are talking about a manager who has managed to blunt one of the most prolific strikers in the PL who scored for fun at bloody Charlton
I think the reason behind Bent is the fact that his supply line, Young and Downing, were both sold prior to AMcL coming and the replacements aren't up to scratch.

Offline nigel

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
Nigel, dont feel sorry for mcleish , he is on good wages here and will get a good payoff for making a pigs ear of the job- shambolic!
Eastie, I don't feel sorry for him and believe me my patience is wearing too

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
None whatsoever Even if he bought good players in, he would turn them into crap ones  soon enough with his negativity.We are talking about a manager who has managed to blunt one of the most prolific strikers in the PL who scored for fun at bloody Charlton
I think the reason behind Bent is the fact that his supply line, Young and Downing, were both sold prior to AMcL coming and the replacements aren't up to scratch.
We have plenty of players that could have supplied Bent,set up the right way.Bent scored for fun under Steve Bruce FFS!!

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 09:55:59 AM »
Please don't lock it I know for a fact they have people constantly reading the messageboard at Villa .They need to know the strength of feeling. The more the merrier
And the fact that the club read these boards you would think that some posters ought to think very carefully about some of the personal abuse dished out to AM. I'm not going to give examples, just skim through the McLeish threads.
He has always come across as a decent human being, he's just not very good at football management. But that doesn't give us the right to abuse him personally.
If we just stick to the facts about his tenure at VP and got rid of the name calling the club might take our concerns a bit more seriously.
Rant over. The answer to the question is no.

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
I'm a firm believer in longevity in management, but you've hot to get the fundamentals right and put the right man in charge in the first place which we failed to do with the appointment of McLeish.

Offline spk

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 10:01:50 AM »
Please don't lock it I know for a fact they have people constantly reading the messageboard at Villa .They need to know the strength of feeling. The more the merrier
And the fact that the club read these boards you would think that some posters ought to think very carefully about some of the personal abuse dished out to AM. I'm not going to give examples, just skim through the McLeish threads.
He has always come across as a decent human being, he's just not very good at football management. But that doesn't give us the right to abuse him personally.
If we just stick to the facts about his tenure at VP and got rid of the name calling the club might take our concerns a bit more seriously.
Rant over. The answer to the question is no.
bang on the nail this

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
I have always said he has to be given time.

I do feel it was the wrong move by Randy, an unpopular choice with very little chance of success given the constraints he'd have to work under.
But, he still came, despite all the constraints, that took some balls. And I feel that is the reason why he must be given time, not endless, but he must have the chance to build his team and not be expected to be using MO'Ns players 5 years on.
Personally I'd say until Christmas next season. By then his team should be in place and if we're struggling then maybe that will be the time for Randy to decide.

It took balls for himto accept the job?  Sorry Nigel but that kind of nonsense gets my goat. It's like saying it takes balls to win the lottery.  He's on two million quid a year, more than most will earn in an entire lifetime.  His PL credibility was non-existent, I can't imagine any other PL club touching him with a bargepole, and he gets offered a lifeline.  And the worst he'll endure is a bit of abuse and then eventually the sack.  I bet he pisses himslef laughing when he hears about people feeling sorry for him.

Offline eastie

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
Decent human being- he quit his last club by e mail, wheres the decency there?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »

When you say blunt, do you mean pretty much kept up the goals to games record he's had all his career?

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 10:10:47 AM »
I'm sick of hearing the whole "AM showed some balls to take our job etc"
He's being PAID £2.5million a year to do it! If he was doing voluntary service to save us the cash and 'prove' himself then yes but for the love of god he's being made a very rich man to mismanage us

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
I have very little faith in anything apart from Gary Gardner and Cieran Clark.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
Unfortunately, I just cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. I sat there watching Blackburn put up a fight against  man U last night. They were against a vastly superior team chasing the title with a dearth of quality players who basically battered them for 90minutes. But Blackburn had a game plan. They stuck to it to the man, were determined and dogged, fashioned 4-5 good chances to score on the break and could have conceivably won the game, let alone lost it. It reminded me of us under MON and whilst not amazing to watch i couldnt help but think I miss it. We did it against chelsea away which was our best result of the season, but that is it. Someone should print out the post arsenal and post man utd threads and send them to him.
People wouldnt mind so much losing if we made an attempt to win but we just dont.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
No.

Get rid of the porridge faced moron.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

When you say blunt, do you mean pretty much kept up the goals to games record he's had all his career?
10 1n 25 this season 9 in 16 under GH

36 IN 63 for Sunderland
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:23:47 AM by ZoggyAlways »

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
Previous polls have shown that AM still has some backing amongst supporters. The argument for has always been that he needs  time and money to build his own squad and should be given a chance to do that. I think it was up around 17% - 20%, backing him last time we had a poll.

But, there does seem to have been a shift recently and its difficult to see anyone backing him...at all.

So, my question is does ANYONE still have faith that he is the right man for the job, if he was given the resources or should he walk, regardless.     

MODS - if this is a Mcleish thread too far, then delete if necessary.

I don't think it's a matter of faith, but rather an uncertainty that he's not, given the limitations he's had to work with:-
1.  A poor defence he couldn't ship out.
2.  A loss of a number of key players he didn't have the finances to replace.
3.  A section of the fans waiting for him to fail.

Yes, he should be doing better, but he was never going to do 'well' given all that.  If Randy pulls the trigger I think neither he nor I could argue about it, but I do not preclude the possibility he could turn things around if given some backing by Randy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal