collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Ads
[Today at 04:16:40 PM]

150 celebrations by Dave P
[Today at 04:16:04 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 04:16:00 PM]

NSWE Investment by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:13:28 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:12:44 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:09:00 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Villan82
[Today at 04:07:38 PM]

Fog stopped play by Bernie
[Today at 03:42:03 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: An observation  (Read 4778 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
An observation
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:02:17 AM »
When we equalised against Chelsea the player that celebrated hardest was Ireland, he has had some bad notices over the season but on this occasion he didn't behave like a player who didn't give a dam. I think all of the players care but are totally leaderless at the moment, from top to bottom.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: An observation
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:27 AM »
He's the best player on our team. He's the only player that has a competent Premier League brain on the ball. He can actually string a few passes together, and link up in a transitional offense.

Good footwork, good risk to reward passing decisions and an asset when allowed to attack freely. He knows this, and I'm glad he finally seems happy because now not only does he feel wanted, he knows he's needed.

Come on Stevie.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:26:32 AM by villadelph »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:31 AM »
I think you've summed him up pretty perfectly there Villadelph.

He's got the potential to be something special.  I like the way that he runs his bollards off for the team despite the fact that his primary role is to be the creative force.  Compare his work ethic to say Nzogbia who seems to think that defending is beneath him.

Ultimately he's the sort of player that I like watching, his subtle movement off the ball and his awareness are like a rocking horse shit at Villa at the moment.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »
I was impressed at the amount of closing and pressing he did on Sat. Need to build our new side around the mad hatter.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »
The weird thing about Ireland is that I think he would be even better in a better team someone like arsenal would suit him down to the ground.

Half the time our players are not on his wave length and our style of play whatever it is doesn't really suit him.

But at the minute he doesn't deserve a better team and maybe the penny's dropped and he realizes hes got to get on with it

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
I was suprised how many posters on here said Ireland was the worse player on Saturday . He looked about the best to me with Weimann a close second .  Ireland is the one who always looks like getting the attacks going with those passes that only he can seem to do in this team.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
I think there are some good points made here.
I too thought Ireland was our best and most committed player on Saturday ( who would have predicted that 6 months ago?) and we need to forget about whatever happened before, and deal with the player as he is now. He may be barking but is a big talent.
Also, I agree with us being leaderless..it's plain we have some good players, and plain they for the most part want to play, but where is the leadership? In any business you can see when there is no one leading and no one giving direction, we need that now. We need a manager and chief exec who understand football and are able to plan and give clear guidance as to what is expected at all levels within the club.

Offline VWBelgian

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
If we had him along Young & Milner with Downing, that would be a team.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
If we had him along Young & Milner with Downing, that would be a team.

yes , Downing can fook off ;)

Online FatSam

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »
He was also the only player to come over to the away section at the end of the Arsenal game, and gave his shirt to a supporter - his attitude seems right at the moment.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
Very good player and works very hard for the team and the plater most capable of spotting a pass.One great ball to Gabby on Saturday just after Cahill game on that Gabby hit well wide and nice threaded ball that set up the move for the second goal.

Could benefit with Wiemann playing as his movement off the ball is pretty good

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
As I've said before, in terms of natural technical ability our best player by a mile. He's been improving steadily from what I've seen but we don't seem to have many other players in the team on his wavelength at the moment with the absence of Bent & N'Zogbia. He's a big talent though and having come this far, we should persist with him I think. 

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »
Totally agree with you Matt C. Trouble is will he persist with us?

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »
Ireland is the only player in the team who makes time for himself on the ball.  I think him sitting infront of Herd and Gardner in a 3 man midfield  (not on the bloody wing in Gardners case ) has the makings of a useful midfield

oh and Bannan sweeping    ;) :)

Offline mal

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »
When we equalised against Chelsea the player that celebrated hardest was Ireland, he has had some bad notices over the season but on this occasion he didn't behave like a player who didn't give a dam. I think all of the players care but are totally leaderless at the moment, from top to bottom.

Guilt for having let Mata run free for the first goal?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal