collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pre-match drinking - all change next season  (Read 97947 times)

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
Re: Pre-match drinking - all change next season
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 10:57:53 PM »
Is the Aston Tavern big enough to house all the folk who use the Ads, Social and Eddies on matchdays?  I don't think so?

I rember playing pool in the Aston tavern in the 80's.A lovely pub. What I don't understand is how it that can be a viable business when the Holte pub (with all the marketing and promotion of a huge organisation) has now been all but mothballed except for matchdays.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
Is the Aston Tavern big enough to house all the folk who use the Ads, Social and Eddies on matchdays?  I don't think so?

I rember playing pool in the Aston tavern in the 80's.A lovely pub. What I don't understand is how it that can be a viable business when the Holte pub (with all the marketing and promotion of a huge organisation) has now been all but mothballed except for matchdays.

It isn't a viable business. Look at it.

Are you thinking of somewhere else?

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
The aston tavern has been derelict for a long old time now, walked past it a couple of weeks agoand it looked like it could do with knocking down and rebuilding.

If it does not re open then won't the swan and mitre be the last pub on that side that's close to the ground?

Here is the Aston Tavern (pictures of the inside) in 2008...

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=35267

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
And for other interesting Birmingham things that are falling down go here...

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/tags.php?tag=birmingham

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:27 PM »

The pub under the Aston express way.If it is refurbed they wont be selling Sausage and Chips for £1.50 like the Social.The Yew Tree has just recently  been refurbed,  everytime I go past non matchdays it is either shut or empty-it probably makes a mint matchdays, but can't survive just on that.

Offline myf

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
Paulie - only if jobs are actually created but can't see where they are coming from. the council and awm done a great job flattening  eastside and we're  left with a derelict wasteland with no soul or heritage.

I don't see why pubs and jobs are mutually exclusive - why can't they accommodate the pubs as part of the scheme?

I'm sure the council aren't going to be flattening any land without an idea of what's going to go there. Any development will provide more jobs than three pubs that only really get busy about 20 times a year.

Maybe the pubs would be accomodated if they had some architectural merit - but where's the merit of the Ads or the Social?

There's merit in the KE. besides if the jobs are created, which is a longshot, why couldn't they become viable businesses with more employees and residents? The council has form with eastside in clearing land for redevelopment when there's no market for it
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:29:53 PM by myf »

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:31 PM »
Shame but understandable I suppose. I used to love visiting the 150 club as a kid on match days. My dad loved a drink so we'll be in there really early playing football by the toilets. Then it filled up and the game was stopped

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »

The pub under the Aston express way.If it is refurbed they wont be selling Sausage and Chips for £1.50 like the Social.The Yew Tree has just recently  been refurbed,  everytime I go past non matchdays it is either shut or empty-it probably makes a mint matchdays, but can't survive just on that.

The Yew Tree was shut on Saturday.

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 04:05:31 AM »
After Saturday's game I was in King Eddies drowning my sorrows with a mate and got talking to Paul the owner. I was told that due to a Council redevelopment plan King Eddies, Aston Social and The Adventurers are all subject to compulsory purchase orders and will be disappearing sometime next season. Sad news indeed....

I smell a developer !

Only slight positive news was that the Aston Tavern will be getting renovated and will reopen before any of them disappear.

I don't live in Birmingham so not sure whether this is common knowledge or not but thought I'd share it.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »
It's a shame if it does happen.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »
Aston Tavern used to be my pre-match drinking hole of choice, way back.
Also attracted alot of away fans.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »

I played pool in that back room. The Aston Tavern was the first pub I went in when we got back from Arsenal when we won the league. It would be great to see it open again. The question is, what is happening with the Upper Grounds / Ratpan? It has been totally gutted and extended with claret and blue roller shutters on it. Probably another greengrocers.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
And there's me opening up this thread expecting an announcement that Panda Cola and Happy Shopper were to be our new drinks sponsors next season.

Good news the tavern will be open, it's a lovely pub. The King Eddie is a lovely building too so it's a shame it will fall foul to the bulldozers. It's a good job match day attendances will be down next year as surely there no way all the drinkers from the social, Eddie, adventurers will all fit in the tavern.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
There's merit in the KE. besides if the jobs are created, which is a longshot, why couldn't they become viable businesses with more employees and residents? The council has form with eastside in clearing land for redevelopment when there's no market for it

Eastside has become a victim of the recession, several planned schemes were abandoned by developers, not sure if any are now back on the cards if the recovery steps up, and if the High Speed Rail link does get built then it will benefit as the Brum terminus will be around Curzon Street.
 The KE is the only one of the three that has any merit to be kept, and then only for the architecture rather than it's viability as a pub. Office workers aren't generally the type to drink enough at lunchtime to keep a pub open, maybe if it became a bit 'foodie' but then you'd all complain that it wasn't the pub you loved to have a few pints in pre-match!

Offline philthebar

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
What the Social should be doing is starting a petition and making representations to be allowed to open a new club in the new development, thereby catering not only for us lot, but for new residents and workers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal