collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How about a Villa v Celtic charity game ?  (Read 21540 times)

Offline Desi

Re: How about a Villa v Celtic charity game ?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »

Offline beness

• GM : 21.01.2018
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
We played Hibs in a pre season.

Yes I remember that one al their union flags with green . First time I'd seen that.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
was it really that bad?

Yes, it was really bad. It was also 36 years ago, and we should not be hostages to history.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
I don't see why the Rangers 'friendly' in '76 should have any bearing on the decision whether or not to have a charity match against Celtic 36 years later,  which would be taking place for very different reasons. They'd only get a limited amount of tickets for a start, secondly, there would be loads more Villa fans there, and thirdly, the travelling Celts seem to behave themselves on their travels.

Offline Stu

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
was it really that bad?

Yes, it was really bad. It was also 36 years ago, and we should not be hostages to history.

Exactly. I can't believe a few are scared of the possibility of a few thousand fans coming down from Scotland for a charity game.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Three fundraising legs: Villa vs Celtic. Celtic vs Villa. Winners play Bulgaria.

The 'wegies aren't a bad bunch, the Irish side of my family are all rabid for the Celtic. On the whole they seem to have some respect for the Villa, even if slightly grudgingly. But that's the 'wegie way, innit.

Offline forzavilla

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »
I don't see why the Rangers 'friendly' in '76 should have any bearing on the decision whether or not to have a charity match against Celtic 36 years later,  which would be taking place for very different reasons. They'd only get a limited amount of tickets for a start, secondly, there would be loads more Villa fans there, and thirdly, the travelling Celts seem to behave themselves on their travels.

Seem to behave themselves on their travels ?

When they played over at the Blues,there was absolute chaos all day in Digbeth and Small Heath

Oh and this is them behaving themselves on there travels as well

Thats our troops there referring to by the way !!!

Offline Stu

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »

When they played over at the Blues,there was absolute chaos all day in Digbeth and Small Heath

Villa fans, by contrast, are absolute angels in comparison during the derby games. Youtube video just shows some pissed up twats.

I don't even think this would happen anyway. The schedule is already full. Nice idea though.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
While I understand some worry about playing one of the Infirm, if it was a game dedicated to Petrov I can't believe there would be any trouble.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

Villa fans, by contrast, are absolute angels in comparison during the derby games. Youtube video just shows some pissed up twats.

I don't even think this would happen anyway. The schedule is already full. Nice idea though.

I dont see our schedule as full. We have three free weekends between coming back from the US tour and the opening of the season.

Offline forzavilla

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 02:11:05 PM »
While I understand some worry about playing one of the Infirm, if it was a game dedicated to Petrov I can't believe there would be any trouble.

Lovely sentiment,but i'd point you in the direction of my link which is a game they played in  is a pre-season friendly
Vile,horrible,reptiles,they need keeping as far away from Villa Park as possible

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
Im sure we could get Cska Sofia over at some point, or get an XI of players he's played with at Sofia, Celtic, Bulgaria and former Villains who played alongside to him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:29:10 PM by MonsXI »

Offline VillaBobby

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
Having witnessed the support of Celtic fans I would shy away completely.

They still sing pro-IRA songs, denounce our troops and most things British. The one thing they don't denounce is the British pound they seem to quite fond of.

Nothing canbe gained from such a game apart from Villa Park being a venue for bigotry and giving this cities victims to murderous terrorism I sense there could only be trouble.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »

Lovely sentiment,but i'd point you in the direction of my link which is a game they played in  is a pre-season friendly
Vile,horrible,reptiles,they need keeping as far away from Villa Park as possible

We could always play up there... bigger ground = bigger gate receipts = more money to charity. Plus they might be unwilling to travel too far with European Cup qualifiers to prepare for.

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
Nice sentiment , but a daft idea ,  it would be utter carnage , any self respecting Brummie would get rather upset if the Celtic supporters go through thier UP THE RA repotoire , and trust me they will.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal