collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:43:21 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by London Villan
[Today at 06:35:55 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How about a Villa v Celtic charity game ?  (Read 21622 times)

Offline Billy Walker

Re: How about a Villa v Celtic charity game ?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »
I cannot remember a Scottish team visiting us since the infamous 1970s game with Rangers, so it is long overdue.

Nearly 40 years later I'm still scarred from that game. I'd imagine many who were there that day would feel the same and would think twice about attending any match against either of the Glasgow clubs, regardless of the charitable reasons.

This

Liverpool and Manchester United have links with Celtic - we do not.

I admire the sentiment but I still recall the hordes descending on Brum two to three days before the game - it wasn`t an enjoyable experience and I was a Rangers "follower" at the time.

What "links" do these clubs have with Celtic?  None whatsoever would be my view.  Beyond competitive football, they've played each other a few times in friendlies and that's about it as far as I can see.  I fear people are reading far too much into matches against either of the Old Firm and fearing we will somehow be getting drawn into their nonsense if we play either of them.

The idea of Villa playing Stan's former club in a friendly to raise money for Stan's illness is fantastic.  Anyone who takes such a match at anything other than face value is missing the point entirely I fear.  I recall us playing a friendly against Blues for Paul McGrath many moons ago - does this mean we have links with them (or any other club we've played friendlies against)?  Of course not.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
Are people in denial about Celtic supporters?

They sing pro-IRA songs, this city has innocent dead because of the cowardly murdering terrorist organisation called te IRA.

So if they promise to behave then that's ok?

Villa Park should not be the home to bigotry nor should we entertain idiots who glory in my fellow Brummies deaths.

Let's go the whole hog and say Stan Petrov shouldn't have played for them.  And Alan McInally.  And plenty of other former Villa players.  What were the people at Wembley Stadium thinking when they invited Celtic to that pre-season tournament a couple of years ago? How could they invite such animals to London?  Barry Bannan is a Celtic supporter, let's give him the boot, too.

Celtic - like ourselves - have a fair few arses following their club.  Let's not tar them all with the same brush though.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
Supporters  of Celtic are not an `abominable sect`, the majority of them are just passionate followers of the local football club followed by their fathers and grandfathers. No doubt a  minority of them have extreme and unacceptable views, but that is no reason to tar them all with the same brush. I expect amongst AVFCs tens of thousands there has to be a few who are probably bigotted neo nazi white supremacists or hold other extreme views. The same as if you took any large cross section of the population.
I am well aware that secretarian issues exist within Glasgow and the Celtic/Rangers rivalry has a slant to it unlike other big city football rivalries, but crass generalisations is usually the reason for most bad feelings and misunderstanding.
I dont mind that some just ask the question about possible crowd disorder, personally I think thats unlikely. But I do find it sad that a suggestion for a friendly charity game for a good cause should be so quickly politicised by someone who appears to have an axe to grind probably relating to the pub bombings and other atrocities. Hoepfully those of us who try to promote the hand of friendship amongst fans of different clubs will outnumber those who appear to want to throw heat onto a situation instead of light.

Oh by the way...Get well soon Stan. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:36:51 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline eastie

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »
Celtic v villa at parkhead would get my vote and probably attract a bigger crowd too- stan petrov although highly regarded at villa is a huge player in celtics recent history and the fans love him up there .

It would be great to show our feelings towards him in a pre season charity raiser for leukemia.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:34:09 PM by eastie »

Offline VillaBobby

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

They sing pro-IRA songs, this city has innocent dead because of the cowardly murdering terrorist organisation called te IRA.

Villa Park should not be the home to bigotry nor should we entertain idiots who glory in my fellow Brummies deaths.

Let's go the whole hog and say Stan Petrov shouldn't have played for them.  And Alan McInally.  And plenty of other former Villa players.  What were the people at Wembley Stadium thinking when they invited Celtic to that pre-season tournament a couple of years ago? How could they invite such animals to London?  Barry Bannan is a Celtic supporter, let's give him the boot, too.

Celtic - like ourselves - have a fair few arses following their club.  Let's not tar them all with the same brush though.

It's nothing to do with the club itself, I refer to the majority of its support. I have been to several Celtic games as my family a Catholic Glaswegians. I have family members who believe in the United Ireland stuff.

The bigotry is prevlant at every game and is not undertaken by a minority but the majority.

Have you been?

Have you been into the pubs and clubs by Parkhead?

Both Rangers and Celtic are vessels of political and religious bigotry.

Bring either to Villa Park and I guarantee a negative reaction which will counter the reason of the clubs being brought together.

I believe Celtic have visited several English clubs for friendliest, Birmingham, Chelsea, Arsenal and United for CL.

All have seen trouble because of the conflict in the Provisional attitude of the Celtic supporters.

Offline VillaBobby

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
Supporters  of Celtic are not an `abominable sect`, the majority of them are just passionate followers of the local football club followed by their fathers and grandfathers. No doubt a  minority of them have extreme and unacceptable views, but that is no reason to tar them all with the same brush. I expect amongst AVFCs tens of thousands there has to be a few who are probably bigotted neo nazi white supremacists or hold other extreme views. The same as if you took any large cross section of the population.
I am well aware that secretarian issues exist within Glasgow and the Celtic/Rangers rivalry has a slant to it unlike other big city football rivalries, but crass generalisations is usually the reason for most bad feelings and misunderstanding.
I dont mind that some just ask the question about possible crowd disorder, personally I think thats unlikely. But I do find it sad that a suggestion for a friendly charity game for a good cause should be so quickly politicised by someone who appears to have an axe to grind probably relating to the pub bombings and other atrocities. Hoepfully those of us who try to promote the hand of friendship amongst fans of different clubs will outnumber those who appear to want to throw heat onto a situation instead of light.

Why have you referred to Villa fans as having white supremacists amongst our ranks?

I have never seen nor heard any neo nazi supporters at Villa Park so I find your comparison to 2 sets of supporters where one has an open agenda of political and religious bigotry to comparing my fellow Villa fans as far right extremists with no foundation offensive.

Keep intolerance out of Villa Park.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »
And the lesson we have learned from this thread is.........Never let the chance to raise money for charity get in the way of a bit of bigotry from both sides of the argument.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »

Why have you referred to Villa fans as having white supremacists amongst our ranks?

I have never seen nor heard any neo nazi supporters at Villa Park so I find your comparison to 2 sets of supporters where one has an open agenda of political and religious bigotry to comparing my fellow Villa fans as far right extremists with no foundation offensive.

Keep intolerance out of Villa Park.

I am simply saying if you took any cross section of say 30,000 people you will find some have disgusting views of some description. They may or may not be openly aired. It may or may not be tagged on to the organisation that those tens of thousands of people have in common.   

Offline VillaBobby

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
And the lesson we have learned from this thread is.........Never let the chance to raise money for charity get in the way of a bit of bigotry from both sides of the argument.

If only life was that simple then we could arrange a charity walk.

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »

Your right. It was a bloody silly suggestion. A well known sportsman from Bulgaria gets a life threatening illness and its results in an argument about the IRA. In retrospect, I suggest Celtic play a game against Bulgaria for charity and the Villa stay out of it.

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »
This is for a great cause,  but when it descends into chaos , maybe just maybe some people will take there rose tinted specs off.

For some any singing of political songs is not acceptable , but songs that mock the lads serving , and promote an organisation that murdered 21 of our own.

Is crazy ,   

My opinion.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:05 PM »

An Orange march? :o

Offline VillaBobby

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »

Not In my name.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »

Not In my name.

its a SELL OUT

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »

It's nothing to do with the club itself, I refer to the majority of its support. I have been to several Celtic games as my family a Catholic Glaswegians. I have family members who believe in the United Ireland stuff.

The bigotry is prevlant at every game and is not undertaken by a minority but the majority.

Have you been?

Have you been into the pubs and clubs by Parkhead?

Both Rangers and Celtic are vessels of political and religious bigotry.

Bring either to Villa Park and I guarantee a negative reaction which will counter the reason of the clubs being brought together.

I believe Celtic have visited several English clubs for friendliest, Birmingham, Chelsea, Arsenal and United for CL.

All have seen trouble because of the conflict in the Provisional attitude of the Celtic supporters.

That suggests it's our own supporters who would cause the problems, which is a sad state of affairs.  Fair enough, though, perhaps it would be best to organize a match v a Bulgarian XI instead.  (Or maybe we could play Celtic in Bulgaria!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal