collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Clueless marketing by AVFC  (Read 16697 times)

Offline Summers

Re: Clueless marketing by AVFC
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
Oh, what a silly topic. I'm sure a quick "I used to be a season ticket holder, so I'll be fine. Thank you very much for your call." would have been a quick and simple reply.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
The clueless f***ers have sold 1000 season tickets for next season today. They have never done that before in March, and this is when 'nobody is renewing.'

Are they normally on sale in March?

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
The clueless f***ers have sold 1000 season tickets for next season today. They have never done that before in March, and this is when 'nobody is renewing.'

Probably not, which makes it even more remarkable.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »

Probably not, which makes it even more remarkable.

I suppose it depends. There must be quite a few fans like yourselves, who will always renew and buy tickets for every game going, plus with the extra months to spread it over, it is a good deal. But it really needs to be compared to other opening days sales, especially if we have never sold them in March before.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »
In all seriousness, the £295 offer is a master stroke.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »

Well it might be, but it depends who buys the tickets: if they go to fans that would otherwise not be attending all (or some) of the home games then great, but if they are just being bought by folks that would have renewed anyway.....well , not so much....

Offline villajk

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »

Well it might be, but it depends who buys the tickets: if they go to fans that would otherwise not be attending all (or some) of the home games then great, but if they are just being bought by folks that would have renewed anyway.....well , not so much....

As already posted, 1,000 went to existing season card holders and the other 1,000 are for new  season card holders.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:32 PM »

I tell you what, there are people who would not have refused at the frozen price. The price seemed high for me, but we would have renewed. Plenty of others will not, but the £295 offer gives them a good option. If fills areas of the ground that are traditionally poor selling areas.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
I think you're making an issue where thwere isn't one. i'd be grateful for the call and wouldn't reasonably expect the club to do detailed research on each supporter before giving them a call.

In fairness, they don't need to do "detailed research", this is why they have client reference nubmers and customer databases. Even if he has multiple client references, it should take less time to take a cursory glance at his history than it does to dial the number.

You're right that it's not a big deal, it just seems that if they actually employ someone to make all of these calls, considering the volume of ticket sales they need to work through, they may as well filter out people who've been buying tickets for decades.

And who may not have been this season at all and might appreciate being told of any changes. This one does smack of complaining for the sake of it.

No - it smacks of amateurish marketing by the club.  I agree with the OP, simple targeted marketing is far more efficient and effective which is why the best organisations do it.

You can't get much more simple and targeted than contacting someone who's bought a ticket for the match and asking them if they know the layout of the ground. But carry on moaning if it makes you happy. 

So everyone who buys a ticket for a game is the same then?   

Btw - I didn't think I was moaning, but pointing out that the simple fact that the clubs marketing is poor and amateurish. 

On reflection perhaps it is something we should actually moan about.  Commercial income is stagnant and one of the main reasons we can't afford to compete with the likes of Spurs who have matchday revenues roughly equivalent to ours.

I think you will find Spurs match day revenue far exceeds ours, due to their tickets being far more expensive.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »
I tell you what, there are people who would not have refused at the frozen price. The price seemed high for me, but we would have renewed. Plenty of others will not, but the £295 offer gives them a good option. If fills areas of the ground that are traditionally poor selling areas.
Of course it does...but who's to say it wont be at the expense of other more popular areas?

Offline pestria

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
I think you're making an issue where thwere isn't one. i'd be grateful for the call and wouldn't reasonably expect the club to do detailed research on each supporter before giving them a call.

In fairness, they don't need to do "detailed research", this is why they have client reference nubmers and customer databases. Even if he has multiple client references, it should take less time to take a cursory glance at his history than it does to dial the number.

You're right that it's not a big deal, it just seems that if they actually employ someone to make all of these calls, considering the volume of ticket sales they need to work through, they may as well filter out people who've been buying tickets for decades.

And who may not have been this season at all and might appreciate being told of any changes. This one does smack of complaining for the sake of it.

No - it smacks of amateurish marketing by the club.  I agree with the OP, simple targeted marketing is far more efficient and effective which is why the best organisations do it.

You can't get much more simple and targeted than contacting someone who's bought a ticket for the match and asking them if they know the layout of the ground. But carry on moaning if it makes you happy. 

So everyone who buys a ticket for a game is the same then?   

Btw - I didn't think I was moaning, but pointing out that the simple fact that the clubs marketing is poor and amateurish. 

On reflection perhaps it is something we should actually moan about.  Commercial income is stagnant and one of the main reasons we can't afford to compete with the likes of Spurs who have matchday revenues roughly equivalent to ours.

I think you will find Spurs match day revenue far exceeds ours, due to their tickets being far more expensive.

Apologies - you are right.  I misread the table in the 'Swiss Ramble' thread.  However, the general point that the club (faulkener?) needs to improve its marketing remains valid.  In the Deloitte table, Villa get 18% of revenue from commercial activity vs. an industry average of around 30%.   

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »
Of course it does...but who's to say it wont be at the expense of other more popular areas?
Fair enough but it has saved me a considerable sum of money. For me and my wallet, it is a master stroke. No argument.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
Fair enough but it has saved me a considerable sum of money. For me and my wallet, it is a master stroke. No argument.

Does that mean you have moved from the Trinity?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
The poor sod has to endure me in P8.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Basically, the club has taken a decision to 'mortgage' some sales in other parts of the ground for advance sales in an area that has been difficult to fill previously.
They will only know how successful the strategy has been when the rest of the ground's season tickets have been on sale.

What should happen is a much more lively exchange between P8 Villa fans and the away support; which should enliven the whole match atmosphere. Not a bad outcome, I'd suggest.

Regarding the OP, I wouldn't describe Villa's marketing as clueless, generally. Perhaps on this occasion they failed to target the approach as well as they could have done.

On a personal note, as a ST holder of many years who didn't renew this season, I'm disappointed that they have not tried very hard to "win me back". As a marketing professional, I was hoping to experience their efforts!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal