collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Random Thoughts about the kids  (Read 20720 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Random Thoughts about the kids
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
I still think Bannan will be better long term as a deep lying playmaker rather than just off the forward. The sort of role Pirlo played to great effect for Meelan for so many years.

Yeah, that is the role I was trying (but failed) to describe.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
I still think Bannan will be better long term as a deep lying playmaker rather than just off the forward.

I agree to an extent. I think you need to give him the licence to roam anywhere on the pitch, that's what he's best at. telling him to play one position dose'nt suit him. I think he's got the abilty to be a class act.

...Usually that free role is given to the #10 otherwise there'll be big holes elsewhere on the pitch.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
That width-of-the-pitch cross-field ball from Gardner just after he'd come on was a wonderful piece of skill.

GG really looks like he could be a special player, if he's not rushed too much.

Did you know the future was claret and blue?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
Gardner for England. :)

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:37 AM »
That width-of-the-pitch cross-field ball from Gardner just after he'd come on was a wonderful piece of skill.

GG really looks like he could be a special player, if he's not rushed too much.

Did you know the future was claret and blue?

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. The guts it took to hit that pass after just coming on, within a whisker of Fulham players and yet giving them no chance to intercept. 50-60 yards, straight to feet. What confidence.
The rest of the season is about getting him embedded in that starting XI and exposing him to as much senior football as possible as far as I'm concerned. So that next season it's all familiar to him and he can really start his career.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
It was the best pass I've seen since Bannan's to Albrighton for his goal at Fulham last season.

Although Delph also hit a beauty up the left-wing in a home game last year.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
It was the best pass I've seen since Bannan's to Albrighton for his goal at Fulham last season.

I remember the Delph one.  It seemed a strange decision to play him at left back but it worked out very well at the time.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

A couple of Herd's first-half passes at Blackburn were exquisite.

There's no doubting the quality of these kids and they benefit hugely from having come through the same system together over several years. And that should continue with Johnson, Grealish, Cameron, Williams and all the others coming through.

The overarching question is whether the club's footballing decision-makers can make the best of the raw / emerging talent at their disposal. To answer this, I guess I'd have to say something slightly controversial and suggest that what we currently need is managerial stability / consistency, since new managers tend to want to bring in new players rather than work with what they've got. To his credit (and because of the transfer embargo set by RL / PF), McL has used our stock of kids well so far.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
Gardner for England. :)

That would take the pressure off Redknapp.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
For me, the emergence of Herd and Gardner means that Petrov should now no longer be considered a definite starter. Those two in midfield, with Bannan, Ireland and N'Zogbia interchanging behind Gabby would be my first choice right now.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
I didn't think they played that well on Monday.

Cameron was outstanding in the NextGen tournament, constantly beating his full-back. Not a lot of pace but very skillful. He didn't do that on Monday. though he made both goals with good crosses.

Williams had a poor game as well, not physically strong enough, not good enough in the air.

Then, in the last half-hour, they suddenly played some lovely stuff and you could see what all the fuss is about -great to watch.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
It was a bit like that the Monday before. First half Newcastle looked the better side and played nice possession football. We scored just before half-time, and after the break we knocked it around beautifully, scoring another three and hitting the woodwork four times (I think).

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2012, 07:10:18 PM »
I still think Bannan will be better long term as a deep lying playmaker rather than just off the forward.

I agree to an extent. I think you need to give him the licence to roam anywhere on the pitch, that's what he's best at. telling him to play one position dose'nt suit him. I think he's got the abilty to be a class act.

...Usually that free role is given to the #10 otherwise there'll be big holes elsewhere on the pitch.

And that in essence is possibly the Bannan problem. Unless he can learn to play in a 442 he's always at risk of being a luxury. His ideal position would be in a 3 in a 433, but not many teams play like that.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7599517/New-Villa-deal-for-Johnson

Hopefully he'll get a game before the end of the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal