collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Random Thoughts about the kids  (Read 20843 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Random Thoughts about the kids
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
He was an unknown quantity when he first appeared on the scene, now defenders know what he will do.  Pushing the ball past a defender and rushing at it is easy for the better experienced defenders to defend against.  They read Marc easily.  He needs to be a bit wiser with his selections and needs to develop his wing skills to really make it.

His endeavor can't be faulted though.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
Mcleish has got nothing to lose. Petrov, Collins, Warnock, Dunne, & Heskey are finished or there about,  it might be the master stroke he has been planning all along. Said with a touch of sarcasm.

Would not agree about Petrov.  My worry is that the midfield has tended to look completely hopeless without him this season.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
I think Petrov still has a role to play next season as an experienced squad player and I see one of Collins or Dunne staying.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
Herd I still feel is limited, but if he continues to work could be something of a Scott Parker, a player who, later in his career, becomes very useful to a top side because he does certain things very very well.

Albrighton is a talent, and those who feel he works better on the right and can't on the left would do well to remember several games, such as Wolves away recently and his breakthrough display against West Ham, where his cutting in from the left was terrific. His problem isn't the side he's cutting in from, it's confidence and decision-making. Too often he'll take on a man on the halfway line as if he were getting to the by-line, too often he'll just cross for the sake of it. He needs to start playing with his head up a bit more and his brain engaged.

Clark is great, centre-back or centre-midfield, this guy's got it. His decision-making, in contrast with Marc's, is top-notch already, he reads the game very well and is technically very assured. He's also better in the air than he's often given credit for. I think he's the 'modern', ball-playing centre-back we've been crying out for for some time.

Gardner and Bannan, I believe, are our star duo, if we know how to use them. Gardner's talents are generally applicable enough that he can play in our current, stilted system and look fine, but Bannan's main problem to me seems to be that we are not the team for him, at the moment. We don't look like a team who practices quick-fire passing triangles in training, we don't look like a team built around when to play slow and when to play fast, who understand the nuances of possession football. Bannan is a player who has the gifts to flourish in that sort of game, but who needs that training to unlock the best of him. At the moment, he looks like a loose cannon, just playing Big Passes without any sort of structure to his game. He needs other players to play off and make the runs, something which comes with training, as is the case for all playmakers at all levels: Xavi is great, but he needs Iniesta, Busquets and Villa to make the movement.

Gardner, too, would flourish in such a system. His movement, carrying the ball, shot, pass (long and short), two-footedness and determination and intelligence are all very good for his stage. However, he also has something else, something about him, a sort of X-Factor, which radiates confidence, assurance and leadership. We need to make sure we get the best out of him before someone else gets him and does so.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
Herd I still feel is limited, but if he continues to work could be something of a Scott Parker, a player who, later in his career, becomes very useful to a top side because he does certain things very very well.

Albrighton is a talent, and those who feel he works better on the right and can't on the left would do well to remember several games, such as Wolves away recently and his breakthrough display against West Ham, where his cutting in from the left was terrific. His problem isn't the side he's cutting in from, it's confidence and decision-making. Too often he'll take on a man on the halfway line as if he were getting to the by-line, too often he'll just cross for the sake of it. He needs to start playing with his head up a bit more and his brain engaged.

Clark is great, centre-back or centre-midfield, this guy's got it. His decision-making, in contrast with Marc's, is top-notch already, he reads the game very well and is technically very assured. He's also better in the air than he's often given credit for. I think he's the 'modern', ball-playing centre-back we've been crying out for for some time.

Gardner and Bannan, I believe, are our star duo, if we know how to use them. Gardner's talents are generally applicable enough that he can play in our current, stilted system and look fine, but Bannan's main problem to me seems to be that we are not the team for him, at the moment. We don't look like a team who practices quick-fire passing triangles in training, we don't look like a team built around when to play slow and when to play fast, who understand the nuances of possession football. Bannan is a player who has the gifts to flourish in that sort of game, but who needs that training to unlock the best of him. At the moment, he looks like a loose cannon, just playing Big Passes without any sort of structure to his game. He needs other players to play off and make the runs, something which comes with training, as is the case for all playmakers at all levels: Xavi is great, but he needs Iniesta, Busquets and Villa to make the movement.

Gardner, too, would flourish in such a system. His movement, carrying the ball, shot, pass (long and short), two-footedness and determination and intelligence are all very good for his stage. However, he also has something else, something about him, a sort of X-Factor, which radiates confidence, assurance and leadership. We need to make sure we get the best out of him before someone else gets him and does so.
I'd respond with two comments  here, Monty; you speak - as ever - alot of sense. I'd add though that (i) if you saw Herd pinging the ball about in the first half against BRFC I'm surprised you call him limited. And, (ii) Bannan's biggest problem is his phsyique; but he'll overcome that with experience.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »
next season , ok a bit inexperienced but good fun

Given

Lichay Cuellar Clarke Stevens

albrigfhton herd Gardner Nzog

Bannan

Weiman

I'd have that for the rest of the season if we get 3 points in our next match. now is the time, get rid of the old guard and build a dynasty.

I'm not going to trawl the stats, but from recent memory our youth team has pretty much been the youth team of envy for the last few seasons. If anyone over the age of 24 was to stop playing tomorrow, we'd win every week.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
Agreed. The good thing is Marc and Herd are first team regulars, and Wee Barry, Gardner and Weimann should be assured of a place on the bench and at least plenty of cameos before the season ends. Sounds like a good scenario for the McMinors(c). When is Clark back?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:03:59 PM by PercyN'thehood »

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
Agreed. The good thing is Marc and Herd are first team regulars, and Wee Barry, Gardner and Weimann should be assured of a place on the bench and at least plenty of cameos before the season ends. Sounds like a good scenario for the McMinors(c). When is Clark back?
You may have copyrights to McMinors, Percy, but I've got the McLeish Minors.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
You may have copyrights to McMinors, Percy, but I've got the McLeish Minors.

You can get ointment for that, and the use of suppositories may be indicated.

Offline Monty

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
I'd respond with two comments  here, Monty; you speak - as ever - alot of sense. I'd add though that (i) if you saw Herd pinging the ball about in the first half against BRFC I'm surprised you call him limited. And, (ii) Bannan's biggest problem is his phsyique; but he'll overcome that with experience.

Oh I agree, his passing range is fine, I just feel he doesn't have the ideas about when to play what pass which would make him a truly creative player. Still, like I say, teams need his kind of player, like Scott Parker, and I am impressed with his one-and-two-touch short passing.

I disagree that Bannan's biggest problem is his physique, but he needs to utilise what he's got more, ie low centre of gravity and good close control. I don't think he's ever had a senior manager who's really played to his strengths or made a concerted effort to teach him the nuances of his position.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
With Ireland's current form, would anyone be brave/stupid enough to have Bannan as a deep lying CM.  If we're playing 4231 or 433 I'd like to see him picking the ball up off the centre backs and trying to dictate the tempo of the game from there. 

I think this position might suit Bannan as he'll be (mariginally) out of the hussel and bussle of the congested areas and crucially he'll be able to play with his head up and the options in front of him.  I think him and Ireland could form a very creative spine down the centre of the pitch.

Look how much more effective Modric and Arteta look when they're playing this role compare to when they play on the wing or as the #10.  Crucially they both have Parker/Song alongside them but I think Herd could be the ideal destructive partner for Bannan.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:26:51 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to try it at home against bus parkers.

I'd like to see us play the 'Christmas tree' formation with Bazza as the sixpence.

Offline Monty

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »
With Ireland's current form, would anyone be brave/stupid enough to have Bannan as a deep lying CM.  If we're playing 4231 or 433 I'd like to see him picking the ball up off the centre backs and trying to dictate the tempo of the game from there. 

I think this position might suit Bannan as he'll be (mariginally) out of the hussel and bussle of the congested areas and crucially he'll be able to play with his head up and the options in front of him.  I think him and Ireland could form a very creative spine down the centre of the pitch.

Look how much more effective Modric and Arteta look when they're playing this role compare to when they play on the wing or as the #10.  Crucially they both have Parker/Song alongside them but I think Herd could be the ideal destructive partner for Banana.

I agree with this. Not as the 'holding player' but as the deep lying playmaker. He could also be free to press higher up the pitch with Ireland, like Swansea do, and like we did quite successfully the other day, winning the ball back higher up the pitch.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
I still think Bannan will be better long term as a deep lying playmaker rather than just off the forward. The sort of role Pirlo played to great effect for Meelan for so many years.

I'm more worried about his attitude than his ability.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »
I still think Bannan will be better long term as a deep lying playmaker rather than just off the forward.

I agree to an extent. I think you need to give him the licence to roam anywhere on the pitch, that's what he's best at. telling him to play one position dose'nt suit him. I think he's got the abilty to be a class act.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal