collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Random Thoughts about the kids  (Read 20722 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Random Thoughts about the kids
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I think Clark and Gardner are definitely the top ones, Herd might do alright.

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
I reckon we've got the points now and should start playing Herd and Gardner as the central two.  Ireland ahead of them does loads of running so they'll get support.

I'd also be tempted to give Clark some games ahead of Collins too as he could play left sided with Cuellar on the right of centre.

An extra 5 games experience could make a big difference to their development and also affect who we try and buy this summer.

Whilst i'd agree to a point to trying out gardner and Herd together, with Petrov maybe coming on after 60 minutes, you'd have to be a brave manager to do it, and a mite more popular than Mcleish

Mcleish has got nothing to lose. Petrov, Collins, Warnock, Dunne, & Heskey are finished or there about,  it might be the master stroke he has been planning all along. Said with a touch of sarcasm.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:20:40 PM by WA Villan »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
For me, the interesting bit is that McL has actually given the kids some good game-time this season, and I thinik this is partially because he has not had the senior players on the squad to do anything esle but it is also because - I speculate - that KMac is there on the bench with him. This current crop has all be through the Cowans / McAndrew / KMac process and these three know best who has the physical and mental strength to hack it inthe P'ship.

Fair play to McL for listening.

As an aside, it's also interesting that since the crowd-reaction at Wigan to his introduction, our Emile has not been used by the manager ...

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »
For me, the interesting bit is that McL has actually given the kids some good game-time this season, and I thinik this is partially because he has not had the senior players on the squad to do anything esle but it is also because - I speculate - that KMac is there on the bench with him. This current crop has all be through the Cowans / McAndrew / KMac process and these three know best who has the physical and

mental strength to hack it inthe P'ship.

Fair play to McL for listening.

As an aside, it's also interesting that since the crowd-reaction at Wigan to his introduction, our Emile has not been used by the manager ...

McLeish chose to have them on his first team coaching staff. It is no fluke. They are providing continuity from our excellent reserve and youth set up. We will see
the benefit of this in a very big way. Some of the kids have had a great deal of first team experience and it is beginning to tell. There was a big wave of anticipation in the Trinity when Weimann went on. Gardner is years ahead of his time. Bannan revels in his chances and the rough edges will be smoothed off.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:58:59 PM by Dave McLark Five »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »
Houllier started it. I wasn't a huge fan but he started the process MON didn't.

So he should a large amount of credit.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
What process was that?

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
What process was that?

I'd guess prioritising the use of our youngsters.  Houllier and AMc have both seemed keen to utlilise players from the yoof system.  Whether that's due to necessity or desire we will not know but I like it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »
Houllier started it.

Albrighton was the only one who was playing before Houllier came in but the likes of Bannan, Hogg, Clark and Delph when he came back from injury were all given decent runs under Houllier. Baker also came in from nowhere to make his debut at Wigan and I'm sure but for injury Gary Gardner and Weimann would've also played a bit last season.

Of course a lot of that was due to some horrendous injuries we had in midfield last season, who knows what MON would've done but you get a feeling we'd have seen a heskey at CB, a Warnock in midfield, players rushed back a week or two from injury and others like Sidwell asked to delay their operations.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Luke Moore scored the winner for Swansea against Citeh today. Just a random thought about one of our kids. And Routledge got the assist.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:52:52 PM by Jimmy Smash »

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 09:03:31 PM »
Without wanting to blow my own trumpet... I said that we'd do better in the long run if we let our babbies have a more important role, even if it meant we went down.  Those kids know each other so well from the youth/reserves that at least they understand how each other want to play the game.  The goal, whilst scrappier than Scooby Doo's stoner buddy, came because Gardner and Bannan have played together and have an understanding.  Similarly Weimann put himself into that position because he knew that Gardner was going to have a pop...  Trust the kids and we might just develop a team that, as Norwich and Swansea have proved this season, can play well together without having the greatest amount of talent.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
Still think Gardner is going to be the stand out player. He has all the natural talents to progress. Physical presence , natural talent along with a great desire to succeed ......

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
What process was that?

I'd guess prioritising the use of our youngsters.  Houllier and AMc have both seemed keen to utlilise players from the yoof system.  Whether that's due to necessity or desire we will not know but I like it.

The key issue is having Kevin Mac and Sid in the dugout with the first team. The kids will show respect to them. McLeish has stepped up the use of the kids from Houllier. They are all a year older now. If you have a team that does so well in the reserves, it would be criminal not to give them a go in the first team.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
I'm sorry you're all utterly wrong - MON started it. At Moscow. You have to commend his long term vision in that respect, surely? Bend the knee all you heathens.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
The funny thing is, his success at Sunderland seems to be based on playing the likes of Colback and McClean who weren't getting a chance under Fistface.  Has he learnt from his mistakes?  Albrighton was our stand out player in the Peace Cup yet he didn't get a sniff that season, even after we ran out of puff in March.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 08:50:23 AM »
I think we'll see the best of these kids if and when they're all thrown in together. Especially Bannan. He is their leader and the likes of Albrighton, Gardner, Clark and Herd trust him and follow his orders in a way that the seniors don't. I hope it happens towards the end of this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal