collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Random Thoughts about the kids  (Read 20775 times)

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
Re: Random Thoughts about the kids
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
Well after Andy's goal today, its seems like we have a very good crop. I don't know whats the most we have had on the pitch at any one time, or the most we have had involved in a game including subs. Have we played a game this season without one involved.
Surely if there was a league for number of acadamy players used we would piss it.

Personally I think they all have a great future, including the Fonz.

I think it is far too early to think any of them will be stars, or any will fail. I never really thought herd would make it and the Fonz would. At the moment it seems the other way around. But that could easily change again in the next 12 months. Then Bannan, all the talent but seems to want to play the killer ball all the time. I just wonder if he thinks he needs to make an impression too much. Super Marc doesn't seem so super at the moment, but the endeavour is there.
 I think once we have enough points to make sure we cant go down, the pressure on them will lift and they can play with more confidene. At that point I would love to see them get a lot more game time and not be under the cosh.

I think too many kids are built up too quickly, look at Oxlade Chamberlain for example, fine player though he is. I'm sure the same was said about Theo Walcott a few years back and to me anyway hasn't hit the heights his reputation suggested.

I think if we stick with them, through this big step up to the first team it could all turn out quite good really.

Sorry about the Cider induced rant, its just we don't win very often

If your good enough your old enough, Lional Messi, only just 24 and it seems like he's been around for decades, Wayne Rooney, many more, obviously these players are the extreme examples, and to a certain extent you have to blood the perhaps not so blessed players in over time, not because of there ability but because of there confidence and standing on a pitch facing someone like Balotelli or Van Persie and not be somewhat overawed when you are playing with or against stars like these. And strength and energy levels of course IMO. 

You're. You are. FFS.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
I reckon we've got the points now and should start playing Herd and Gardner as the central two.  Ireland ahead of them does loads of running so they'll get support.

I'd also be tempted to give Clark some games ahead of Collins too as he could play left sided with Cuellar on the right of centre.

An extra 5 games experience could make a big difference to their development and also affect who we try and buy this summer.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 10:46:51 PM »
I reckon we've got the points now and should start playing Herd and Gardner as the central two.  Ireland ahead of them does loads of running so they'll get support.

I'd also be tempted to give Clark some games ahead of Collins too as he could play left sided with Cuellar on the right of centre.

An extra 5 games experience could make a big difference to their development and also affect who we try and buy this summer.

Whilst i'd agree to a point to trying out gardner and Herd together, with Petrov maybe coming on after 60 minutes, you'd have to be a brave manager to do it, and a mite more popular than Mcleish

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »
I looked at the title of this thread and was about to call a constable.

And ask him to do you a painting?

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
I think the difference between Herd now and Albrighton 12 months ago is that Herd has come straight back in after an injury and looked like he'd never been away, whereas Albrighton hasn't really been the same player since he went down with appendicitis.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »
These lads are now the McLeish Minors.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »

Whilst i'd agree to a point to trying out gardner and Herd together, with Petrov maybe coming on after 60 minutes, you'd have to be a brave manager to do it, and a mite more popular than Mcleish
My thoughts entirely about playing the kids more now we are safe..They can play without fear as the pressure is off, and if that means we lose a few games, then ok....Now is the time to do it, the sensible fans will understand, but the idiots wont!!

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
I am dropping mine off at the pool as I post. #twitterfromtheshitter

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »
I'd say we are playing them a fair bit.

I would like to see more of Gardner. Weimann is likely to be an option from the bench. I'd want to try a different option to albrighton who I think is really struggling, but there's only bannan I could see playing there. I'm not convinced albrighton or bannan will be with us in a couple of years.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:28:33 AM »

Couldn't agree more.  Bench the deadwood and give the kids a run.  Would like to see Lichaj and Stevens get a chance before the end of the season.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
When players, especially young ones, have a drop in form, you have to decide whether to play them through it or rest them. It is three steps forward and two back. Managers and coaches are with them most days and know how they tick. At some point it may seem that a player is not going to make it. McLeish obviously rates Weimann and I think his judgement is very good with him. He obviously has thoughts of Albrighton improving. With Kevin Mac and Sid involved, we have excellent continuity and it bodes well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:24:28 PM by Dave McLark Five »

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
There is some great promise there. If Herd turns out to be the midfield player that we have been looking for then the future is indeed bright. As I have said before, we are going to give someone a right walloping when things click into place. Then watch them go. The delight the players showed after Weimann scored would not have been greater in a cup final. Stick with them.

Indeed. A nine player pile on with only Shay and Warnock not involved. Sure didn't strike me as a bunch of players that don't care.

That's what I miss the most about not being down the Villa, the crowd going ballistic and the players showing they do care.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:04:50 AM by Neil Hawkes »

Offline Villanation

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
Understand what you are saying, but wasn't Gareth Bale a pile of crap for about 12 months in the prem, and Sturridge a rarely used sub for Man City, I'm sure there are enough of those examples aswell

That's my point some players are naturally extrovert, we have all been in the changing room before a game and we have all experienced the teams "big I am" player, in that same dressing room, you could have put Rooney on the field of play at age 10 and he would not have excepted the team or opposition stars, his mentality is, there's him and that's it and stuff everybody else and you can see that's is just in him as a person.

Some players have the ability in bucket loads but there maturity needs to be developed and providing they can take care of themselves on the pitch then the sooner they are out there and get stuck in and kicking up in the air, players like Rooney, then that "in awe" thing goes, and it comes down to the man himself, that's why you are now seeing a mature Bale, full of it and up for anything, because deep down Bale now thinks " I've seen  the rest, I'm the best".

Our players are a little different because with all due respect they are, in the end bread and butter players, good team members and I'm sure there will be one or so that may turn into a quality player but in most cases if the quality was really there they would have forced there way through by now, Fonz is a good example as is Clark, on the other hand IMO Gabby crashed into the side scored v Everton on his debut at about 19 (i think) was every bit a star player at U21 England, every bit as influential as Sturridge,( if he is influential), matter of opinion there, and Gabby as never looked back until the last couple of season and then he's been phucked about with, which of course most players these days wouldn't put up with for very long.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  Bench the deadwood and give the kids a run.  Would like to see Lichaj and Stevens get a chance before the end of the season.

Same for me. We're pretty much safe now and will struggle to finish in the top 10 so final position won't be that much significant.

I think Fonz will be on the way out this summer. He's stagnating here, we recalled him from his loan at Leicester and yet he hasn't made the bench in the last two games.

Bannan I think will be another Lee Hendrie. Might forge an o.k career at Prem level without ever hitting the heights someone like Gareth Barry or modern day somone like Ciaran Clark could well hit due to off the field antics.

Albrighton is a funny one. He looked the business first half of last season and had a good spell over xmas but he's been poor for most of this season. He can't really impact much on the left but I still think there's a good player in there somewhere.

Chris Herd has really come from nowhere. Like others have said, he's not as naturally talented as a Bannan or Clark but he certainly has the desire to succeed which can be just as crucial.

Still have high hopes Clark and Gardner will blossom into top players for us.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
I agree about playing the kids more now that we're as good as safe. Might save us a fortune in transfers if we find out who will or won't have a good chance of making it. But not that finishing top 10 will be a struggle. It's 3 points away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal