collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Random Thoughts about the kids  (Read 20797 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Random Thoughts about the kids
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
I'm not sure about Bannan being a leader.
They certainly respect his use of the ball so I suppose in that respect they get the ball to him.
But I dont think of him as a leader in the traditional sense. A captain.

Gardner does pretty much the same job as Bannan with the ball (example that laser guided cross field ball on Saturday to Bannan I think who had players around him... wow) and is perhaps better future captain material.
But for me the the real drivers amongst the youngsters are Clark and Herd. Clark is a natural leader (I thought the same of a young Alistair Cook) and Herd leads by example.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »
I really rate Herd, Clark & Gardner. They'd probably make a useful 3 in the centre of the parlk, albeit Clark will end up as a centre half. As for Bannan, I'm still very unconvinced. I understand he has potential, it's clear to see, but there seems to be loads of hype about him, can't totally understand that at the moment. I think he needs to work a lot harder. As does Albrighton, his end product is either very good, or more often than not lately, very bad.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »
Herd is a swashbuckling sort of player and I have high hopes for him and also the brilliant Gardner. What a presence he has! He is lethal around 25 yards out.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:52 AM »
Albrighton is having his difficult second album. He's no longer the new kid on the block chasing everything like a dog with two dicks and he's not really experienced either.
He has to find his game again but whether or not he takes this on will become clearer next season. I still think he's a good player.

Bannan is more enigmatic. You dont feel you can play him as one of two midfielders but his passing is mostly brilliant and that's an attractive prospect you cant ignore. He could be a luxury not worth having or the next Sid for all I know. Its very hard to tell how he'll end up.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
There was some lovely ball control from Bannan before slipping the ball to Gardner just before the goal on Saturday.

Offline Merv

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »
Still confident about Albrighton. Barely involved properly until Christmas, then he had a good run throughout December and January - no coincidence it was when he was played wide right. He's comfortable there. I think he's a pretty one-dimensional player, in that he's a right winger - staying wide, running at his man, delivering a cross. He can take a chance, too. I just don't think he can adapt to different roles. That's just how it is, and that's how we should use him.

Gardner excites me. He could have had four or five goals for us by now - he gets into the box, on the end of crosses, and he's happy to strike from distance. A very positive, confident player. Could be the goalscoring central midfielder we've lacked for years.

I rate Clark, whether it's in midfield or at the back - next season I want him at CB alongside Cuellar or a new CB. Herd has surprised me. He's come on more in the last 18 months than any of his peers, arguably. A few rough edges to him, but they're smoothing out and he's developing into a promising, athletic, midfield player.

As for Bannan... can't help liking him. I hope we persevere. For me, he needs to play as the playmaker in a three-man midfield - where Ireland currently is - or even on the left side of a narrow midfield (three or four). Too much talent to give up on.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
That's Bannan's problem at the minute; Ireland (in this form) is just so good in his position.
They're no doubt competing for one place typically though.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
Selection problems? Bring them on!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
Quite.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
What I meant by 'leader' is that Bannan, dictates the play in the reserves, a conductor if you like. Were you there Monday night Maz? It was an absolute masterclass. I've gone hot and cold on Bazza many times, I'm just going through a phase at the moment where I'm more convinced that his talent will eventually shine through. Sid thinks he's our best player doesn't he?

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
I think Albrighton should be taken out of the firing line for the moment.  As someone has stated he made his mark purely as a wide right player.  This obsession with playing wide men on the "wrong" side seems to have affected his confidence.

IMO he needs to get this restored away from the limelight but also I would think it would assist him if he played centrally in reserve or practice matches to give him a grounding and awareness of that.  Nowadays with teams usually playing with three across the park either up top or centrally behind a lone striker, he needs to be able to operate more centrally at times during the game and not be stuck out standing on the whitewash.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
I agree fred. I actually think Marc could be a very useful centre-mid.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Yeah, I was there Perce and his involvement in the first team make Bannan stand out in reserve matches now.
He was excellent.

I believe, and I could be wrong but it's what I've heard, that Sid thinks Gardner is the best of the youngsters. I agree with him.
He has something like Bannan's passing range with a lot more besides.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »
next season , ok a bit inexperienced but good fun

Given

Lichay Cuellar Clarke Stevens

albrigfhton herd Gardner Nzog

Bannan

Weiman

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
Herd has really suprised me .He has really come on this season and looks a good player .

Bannon , I don't know yet.  I am wondering If he becomes a Peter Whittingham , a really good championship player .

Gardner and Clark will be regulars . 

Marc , I really hope he makes it  , not good enough at the moment but its a confidence thing.  He looked awesome when he was first in the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal