collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Random Thoughts about the kids  (Read 20727 times)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
Random Thoughts about the kids
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
Well after Andy's goal today, its seems like we have a very good crop. I don't know whats the most we have had on the pitch at any one time, or the most we have had involved in a game including subs. Have we played a game this season without one involved.
Surely if there was a league for number of acadamy players used we would piss it.

Personally I think they all have a great future, including the Fonz.

I think it is far too early to think any of them will be stars, or any will fail. I never really thought herd would make it and the Fonz would. At the moment it seems the other way around. But that could easily change again in the next 12 months. Then Bannan, all the talent but seems to want to play the killer ball all the time. I just wonder if he thinks he needs to make an impression too much. Super Marc doesn't seem so super at the moment, but the endeavour is there.
 I think once we have enough points to make sure we cant go down, the pressure on them will lift and they can play with more confidene. At that point I would love to see them get a lot more game time and not be under the cosh.

I think too many kids are built up too quickly, look at Oxlade Chamberlain for example, fine player though he is. I'm sure the same was said about Theo Walcott a few years back and to me anyway hasn't hit the heights his reputation suggested.

I think if we stick with them, through this big step up to the first team it could all turn out quite good really.

Sorry about the Cider induced rant, its just we don't win very often

Offline Villanation

Re: Random Thoughts about the kids
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
Well after Andy's goal today, its seems like we have a very good crop. I don't know whats the most we have had on the pitch at any one time, or the most we have had involved in a game including subs. Have we played a game this season without one involved.
Surely if there was a league for number of acadamy players used we would piss it.

Personally I think they all have a great future, including the Fonz.

I think it is far too early to think any of them will be stars, or any will fail. I never really thought herd would make it and the Fonz would. At the moment it seems the other way around. But that could easily change again in the next 12 months. Then Bannan, all the talent but seems to want to play the killer ball all the time. I just wonder if he thinks he needs to make an impression too much. Super Marc doesn't seem so super at the moment, but the endeavour is there.
 I think once we have enough points to make sure we cant go down, the pressure on them will lift and they can play with more confidene. At that point I would love to see them get a lot more game time and not be under the cosh.

I think too many kids are built up too quickly, look at Oxlade Chamberlain for example, fine player though he is. I'm sure the same was said about Theo Walcott a few years back and to me anyway hasn't hit the heights his reputation suggested.

I think if we stick with them, through this big step up to the first team it could all turn out quite good really.

Sorry about the Cider induced rant, its just we don't win very often

If your good enough your old enough, Lional Messi, only just 24 and it seems like he's been around for decades, Wayne Rooney, many more, obviously these players are the extreme examples, and to a certain extent you have to blood the perhaps not so blessed players in over time, not because of there ability but because of there confidence and standing on a pitch facing someone like Balotelli or Van Persie and not be somewhat overawed when you are playing with or against stars like these. And strength and energy levels of course IMO. 

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
Its a great credit to The Club to get as many players up to Pl level, wether any of them can get to the level of top PL players is another matter. I have not seen anything yet that suggest that  they will.

Offline Colhint

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
Understand what you are saying, but wasn't Gareth Bale a pile of crap for about 12 months in the prem, and Sturridge a rarely used sub for Man City, I'm sure there are enough of those examples aswell

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »
Understand what you are saying, but wasn't Gareth Bale a pile of crap for about 12 months in the prem, and Sturridge a rarely used sub for Man City, I'm sure there are enough of those examples aswell
Yep all great players have to start somewhere and find thier way. Some of our youngsters might carry on improving and really make it or they could end up like the Mooore brothers.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »
I looked at the title of this thread and was about to call a constable.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »
Judging by performances this season most likely to make it are Herd and Clark. I bet Herd was way down the list of Villa youngsters who would shine this season.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
As an aside, I saw Isiah Osbourne winning a penalty for the mighty Hibbees against Ayr in the Scottish cup today.Let`s hope the current crop don`t find themselves in the Gobi desert of football that is North of The Border.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
This is how I see it
Marc, confidence player, needs to play on the right, moving him to the left is doing nothing for his confidence. Could still make it, needs to get stronger.
Bannan, not sure if he has the level of discipline on and off the pitch, obvious talent but has to stop forcing the play. Jury still out.
Herd, the best prospect in my view, is playing in his correct position and if he adds stamina and a bit of compusure could be a real force.
Gardener, there have been glimpses of real talent, still yet to see if the rave reviews from his reserve and accademy days can be translated in the senior team.
Clark very decent footballer, not a central midfield player but can fill in there. Not been tested in his best position. A lack of pace is a major concern.
Fonz has talent but does not have enough of power strength pace or skill, serious doubts.
Baker Wieman Lichaj not enough appearances to be judged.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »
This is how I see it
Marc, confidence player, needs to play on the right, moving him to the left is doing nothing for his confidence. Could still make it, needs to get stronger.
Bannan, not sure if he has the level of discipline on and off the pitch, obvious talent but has to stop forcing the play. Jury still out.
Herd, the best prospect in my view, is playing in his correct position and if he adds stamina and a bit of compusure could be a real force.
Gardener, there have been glimpses of real talent, still yet to see if the rave reviews from his reserve and accademy days can be translated in the senior team.
Clark very decent footballer, not a central midfield player but can fill in there. Not been tested in his best position. A lack of pace is a major concern.
Fonz has talent but does not have enough of power strength pace or skill, serious doubts.
Baker Wieman Lichaj not enough appearances to be judged.

I would agree with most of that and add that
Clark is a centre half and does not have the vision, range of passing or speed to play in midfield
Bannan I am not convinced with I cant see him playing in a 4 man midfield due to his size and I would play Ireland and Gardner ahead of him in a 5 man midfield
Gardner I would play as an attacking/box to box midfielder but not as a holding/defensive midfielder

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Still not convinced they're all make it. Herd looks the business at the moment but then albrighton did a season or so ago and he's really struggling and if we had the bodies i think he'd be taken out of the firing line. I think he will come good but that just shows what happens with youngsters - they go backwards before bouncing back and in a struggling side its not ideal when you can't rest them. Bannon looks a bit of a fanny merchant to me and needs to graft a bit more. Fonz, i think will be let go this summer - he's not sharp enough in front of goal to make it in the premier league and you can't learn that. Clark i think is progressing well, Gardner and weimann its too early to tell

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
Whenever I think about the potential of our young players I think of the stick Peter Whittingham used to get from some quarters.   Some just have the inner strength and self belief to go on and become outstanding players others just fall by the wayside.   If I had to make a book on it as of today Herd would be favourite and Fonz the big outsider with all the others somewhere in between but it changes almost match by match.

Offline Colhint

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
Whenever I think about the potential of our young players I think of the stick Peter Whittingham used to get from some quarters.   Some just have the inner strength and self belief to go on and become outstanding players others just fall by the wayside.   If I had to make a book on it as of today Herd would be favourite and Fonz the big outsider with all the others somewhere in between but it changes almost match by match.

Agree with this especiaially with the bold bit

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
There is some great promise there. If Herd turns out to be the midfield player that we have been looking for then the future is indeed bright. As I have said before, we are going to give someone a right walloping when things click into place. Then watch them go. The delight the players showed after Weimann scored would not have been greater in a cup final. Stick with them.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
There is some great promise there. If Herd turns out to be the midfield player that we have been looking for then the future is indeed bright. As I have said before, we are going to give someone a right walloping when things click into place. Then watch them go. The delight the players showed after Weimann scored would not have been greater in a cup final. Stick with them.

Indeed. A nine player pile on with only Shay and Warnock not involved. Sure didn't strike me as a bunch of players that don't care.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal