collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov - 'Lerner is regular at training round'  (Read 7571 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Petrov - 'Lerner is regular at training round'
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
sportinglife.com

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov claims club owner Randy Lerner is a familiar face at the training ground and has made everyone aware of his plans.

The American businessman has made weekly visits to Villa's Bodymoor Heath training complex over the past month, allowing him to be kept up to date on events.

Villa have been struggling to generate results on the field, with a five-match winless run dropping them to within eight points of the relegation zone.

Plans are, however, being drawn up for next season with manager Alex McLeish and chief executive Paul Faulkner.

Petrov claims the players are aware of the situation, with talk of cost-cutting doing the rounds, and says every member of the squad is fully behind Lerner and his methods.

"The owner has been to training quite a few times and been in a good mood," said the Bulgarian midfielder.

"He tried to give positives to all members of the club.

"At the end of the day, we have a chairman who is trying to run his books and knows what is right and wrong.

"If you have good, new players coming in, it is always a help but, if not, we just need to deal with it."

Offline villanic

Re: Petrov - 'Lerner is regular at training round'
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
"If you have good, new players coming in, it is always a help but, if not, we just need to deal with it."

Anyone else get the feeling we won’t be seeing many new faces in the summer?

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
As with Gabby's quote, I think there is a mistake. I think Petrov was just discussing his toilet habits.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »

it does sound a bit like that.

Offline villanic

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »

it does sound a bit like that.

Both statements from Gabby and Petrov feel a bit forced and like they’re towing the party  line.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
I was hoping otherwise but it's dawning on me that we're going absolutely nowhere while Lerner is still here.  I'm not saying it's his fault as such, but when you have the captain saying things like the chairman is happy (about what?) and that they're going to 'get on with it' (admirable as that might be) it all feels very, very drab.  It is almost exactly the same vibes as the last days of O Leary.  Shocking really.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
'Lerner is regular at training round'

If that's the case could he put a pair of shorts on as we desperately need some squad players.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
You'd think if he was able to come over regularly as Petrov implies then he'd attend matches rather than watching the players train.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
I wish Randy would let the fan base know of the plan and the club's ambitions.  A bit of clarity and a real sense of purpose might help shift a few season tickets too. 

This is just the most frustrating way of going about things, using ambiguous soundbites from the players to keep us all (just about) onside.  It feels to me as though we are being strung along unfortunately - but all this could be sorted with a clear, bold statement of intent from Randy.  It strikes me as being a baffling way to run a club, really.  There's no real sense of direction, ambition or leadership coming through from the Chairman - surely he can appreciate and see that?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
re these soundbites, I can see it from both sides.

From their side, the club need to issue stuff like this as, well, that's their job.

From our side, some of us find it a bit irritating and wish they'd just say nothing.

Offline ez

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »

Didn't Randy say he would allow a big name signing though?

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
re these soundbites, I can see it from both sides.

From their side, the club need to issue stuff like this as, well, that's their job.

From our side, some of us find it a bit irritating and wish they'd just say nothing.

I'd go further: I actually think it's patronizing that the club issue these wishy-washy statements every so often just to "spin out" their message. It's like they they know what the fans are thinking, so a couple of senior players suddenly come out with these thoughts. I bet neither Gabby or Stan even read the statements, never mind wrote them.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:49 PM »
I wish Randy would let the fan base know of the plan and the club's ambitions.  A bit of clarity and a real sense of purpose might help shift a few season tickets too. 

Maybe the clubs ambitions are not the kinds of ambitions which will sell season tickets? Maybe they don't offer the kind of jam today that supporters crave? Speaking personally, and I think a lot of other supporters might be the same, I motivate myself by the thought that things will change and evolve into something better. This can exist in a vacuum but if the club are honest and remove that hope it is just so draining. Take the letter to season ticket holders in the pre-season. When I read that the hope drained out of me. You will probably sell more season tickets in a hopeful vacuum.

Offline villanic

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »

Didn't Randy say he would allow a big name signing though?

Depends on what Lerner classes as a big name signing though?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
"At the end of the day, we have a chairman who is trying to run his books and knows what is right and wrong.

"Every game is difficult: the ball is round"

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and our midfield is a fucking soufflé".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal