collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How many of you have lost the love like me?  (Read 25932 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: How many of you have lost the love like me?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
My wife said to me once.  "You think more about the Villa than you do me"

she wasn't best pleased when I told her I think more about the Blues than I do her.

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
I think I am like a lot of the posters on here, in that I am wondering has my intense dislike of all things associated with modern day Football, outweighed my passion for my Football club?.

A strange thing happened to me at Ewood Park last Saturday.  I was sat, yes sat, in the Upper Tier.   There weren't many of us and I took the opportunity to rest my legs over the back of the seat in front of me.   When Nzogbia lashed in our goal, all I did was raise my hands in the air, I couldn't even be arsed to stand up, let alone jump around like a lunatic.    This is the first time I can ever remember "non celebrating" a goal at the match, if that makes sense?.

The question is why did feel like this?.  Is it because there wasn't that much on the game and that I think we are probably safe or is it something deeper?.   Maybe I will find out if we score this weekend.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Rich and Bren - brilliant.

Rich your description is perfect for me, and Bren, I would not admit to yours to my wife, although I am sure she knows it to be true....

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
I struggle to get excited about things at the moment, but I know it won't take much (change of manager or a new owner for example) for me to get excited again, and full of blind optimism.

I would find it hard to stop going, due to the (completely misguided) possibility that we may become good and start winning things as soon as I stop going. I know deep down this is highly unlikely, however the prospect of sticking with it all through the crap years, and stopping going just as we get good again, keeps me going!

Its a bit like England, I followed them home and away, and attended every tournament between 1996-2006 but was scared that as soon as I stopped following, they would go and win something! I actually stopped enjoying England games a few years ago, so that, coupled with financial reasons, meant I stopped going to England games and I haven't missed it at all. And the England team remain as far away as ever from winning anything.

However, it's just not that easy to stop watching the Villa for me.

Offline villanic

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
My love for Villa faded when O’Leary was at the helm and that’s when I gave up my season ticket, before that I had held one for 18 season on the bounce and attended as many away games as I could, and I can honestly say I never missed it.

By the time O’Neill and Lerner arrived I had a baby daughter and a new house so going to villa park was still sacrificed until the following season when I started coming back to villa park on a semi regular basis as well as the occasional away game but still did not get a season ticket. During O’Neill’s last season and the one season under Houllier I went to about 10+ home league games a season plus all cup games and as many away games as possible and really started loving going back down.

I’d already decided to get a new season ticket before the arrival of McLeish and although I thought twice after the appointment I still decided to get one and I don’t regret it at all, even after some poor results and dour football.

I will renew next season and I can’t see me giving it up again because my love for villa never died it just faded for a while and I live in hope McLeish will be gone sooner rather than later.

Offline mozza

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
Forget all the doom & gloom - the club have been recognised by no other than the legendary Lord Herman Ouseley-

Apparently we have been awarded the Advanced Level of the Equality Standard for our diversity policy and community work-

It's got me thinking what have I been doing and thinking for 55 years following Aston Villa ? - perhaps I am naive in the belief
it was about the ups downs and more downs, the relegations, promotions and trophies I have witnessed..............

Maybe it's all been a dream and I have just woken up and reality is sinking in -

As to whether I have 'lost the love' ...........no trips to Old Trafford Anfield Emirates in the next few weeks with a man leading us who believes we have lost before a ball is kicked...........McLeish has succeeded where others like Billy McNeil failed           

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »
Doesn't this thread crop up every week?

I haven't had the 'love' for a long time, my other half mentioned the other day she could always tell how Villa had done by my mood, nowadays a last minute winner or defeat doesn't make the slightest difference to me. Granted i'm a miserable bugger most of the time but it's nothing to do with Villa and more to do with being a Yorkshireman.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
On the plus side, I've only watched MOTD half-a-dozen times this season. And needing to smash things to tiny pieces around 5pm most Saturdays means I've got quite a lot of firewood split.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
On the plus side, I've only watched MOTD half-a-dozen times this season.

That's a positive i take, too. I doubt i've even seen it half a dozen times in the last two years.

I have also been avoiding sports sections of newspapers for a while (this season and last).

Offline Brend'Watkins

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »

That's a positive i take, too. I doubt i've even seen it half a dozen times in the last two years.

I have also been avoiding sports sections of newspapers for a while (this season and last).

In the space of a week that's the Villa, MOTD, sports sections of papers and pubs you've told us you do less of than you used to.  Apart from telling us on here, what else do you do with all that spare time?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

In the space of a week that's the Villa, MOTD, sports sections of papers and pubs you've told us you do less of than you used to.  Apart from telling us on here, what else do you do with all that spare time?

I still watch the games, I've just managed to extract the non Villa bit of football from my routine.

I used to watch that thing on Sky, Sunday Supplement, when we were doing well, and even then, it managed to annoy me deeply.

Don't worry, I don't tend to do anything constructive with the extra time.

Offline Brend'Watkins

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
I too have stopped watching Sunday Supplement as it gets my back up more than anything else in football.  What a bunch of humorless twats they are.  Trying to be so scientific about everything, trying to make out that every utterance which is mostly speculation is the most important revelation ever to be broadcasted.  The show should be dumped or renamed 'Sky 4 and Tottenham discussion'.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
A friend of mine used to be a producer at Setanta and has some delicious stories of wanker football pundits being wankers.

Though my favourite was the time Kenny Sansom got a bollocking for turning up in a yellow and brown striped shirt. He explained that his wife had just thrown him out, and it was all he could find. He was on the verge of tears, apparently

Offline Brend'Watkins

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
I think you are getting 'Sunday Supplement' mixed up with 'Goals on Sunday' Damon.

Sunday Supplement is 4 of your profession on the footballing side sitting around a table for an hour or so blethering on about Tottenham and Harry mainly.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »
I too have stopped watching Sunday Supplement as it gets my back up more than anything else in football.  What a bunch of humorless twats they are.  Trying to be so scientific about everything, trying to make out that every utterance which is mostly speculation is the most important revelation ever to be broadcasted.  The show should be dumped or renamed 'Sky 4 and Tottenham discussion'.

...and Man City.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal