collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much to turn us into a Barcelona?  (Read 12787 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: How much to turn us into a Barcelona?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
Barcelona just live and breathe a football culture.

After a tour round the nou camp you go through a museum. With all the success they've had it could be all about them and how great they are, but its not it just shows a passion for football and the best players in the world.

So they've got an Emile Heskey statue?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
I don't think we need to copy one club's style.  Right now it's Barcelona, but early this season we were asking why can't be be like Swansea.  A year or to ago it was Arsenal, and still is to an extent.  Go back further than that and Ajax were the model all clubs were aspiring to.

We've been producing good players for a while now, but they're development seems to falter when they hit the first team, as the difference of approach and necessity of results dulls what they learnt and how they played through our system.  But then neither K-Mac or Sid strike me as 1st team management material, so what do we do?

I think what we need is a 'Villa man' managing the first team who knows, understands and believes in what the reserve and youth coaches do and is willing to let that be carried forward to the first team.  Yet is there such a manager out there?  Would we have to take a gamble and appoint an ex-player without experience like Laursen?   

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »
i still maintain that one of the key contributes to a football style of play is climate, yes i said the climate.

there will always be exeptions but the where a patient passing game is played and a emphasis on technique is encouraged it is mainly in hot countries where you just cant charge about for 90 mins flat out.
so they develope a style to fit in with a 90 degree heat,
 whereass over here especially in winter its more than likely to be freezing so the importance is on speed, running, competativeness etc
our game is just different, brilliant foriegn players come over and have to addapt, many do, its easier to become quicker and play the game at a faster tempo than develope all the intricate ball control skills that our players would have to do if they went the other way.

anyway its just my theory, so i think its imposible to develope players the way Barcalona do in this country because of the culure of the way we play the game.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
I think you need a structure and manager in place to encourage technical and passing football. This seems to be the way to move forward, once you have that structure in place then you can attract the most promising youngsters as they'll want to adopt that style. The manager doesn't have to remain throughout, but if you have the philosophy as a club then when a manager leaves you can replace him with someone with the same vision and the transition is smooth. However I don't think our board appears capable enough to understand this.

Offline Merv

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
Easy.  ;)

Sell all but four or five of the current senior squad, remove the manager, and immediately replace with the NextGen squad and Kevin MacDonald. Reinvest transfer proceeds in worldwide scouting resources, coaching structure across all levels, including reserves and first team. Then allow the same Academy/youth team cycle to progress and continue to supply the first team with players. Use transfer funds to buy one standout player a season.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
I saw Luis Figo play against the Villa, he was shit. Laursen monstered him

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
Start with the academy as we are doing and as Barcelona do, but it is a long term project ie more that the mystical five year plan. Oh and make sure we have the best possible coaches at the club. Yes I know that rules out McLeish and Grant, but we could have got better and not paid out any compensation to get them. As fans we then have to be patient. However patience soon runs out when even we can see that the guy in charge of the first team is out of his depth.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
Twelvety squillions and all of the precious things in Doug's treasure chest.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
To be honest, having watched Barcelona stuff a team 4-0 in a league game this season I wouldn't want us to be like them.

Yes it must be nice being able to thrash teams like Bayer Leverkusen and seeing Messi play is a delight but Barcelona are so successful that their fans pay a silly amount of money to watch them and sit there throughout expecting to be entertained.  It's everything that's bad about modern football.  The atmosphere is crap and it all feels a little bit fake.

I'd much rather football in general go back to a game where, largely, everyone has just as much chance as everyone else.  Yes, there will be better clubs than others but the current gulf between the best and the rest, as emphasised by Barca last night is a horrible situation for the game to be in.

Offline Monty

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 01:01:55 PM »
To be honest, having watched Barcelona stuff a team 4-0 in a league game this season I wouldn't want us to be like them.

Yes it must be nice being able to thrash teams like Bayer Leverkusen and seeing Messi play is a delight but Barcelona are so successful that their fans pay a silly amount of money to watch them and sit there throughout expecting to be entertained.  It's everything that's bad about modern football.  The atmosphere is crap and it all feels a little bit fake.

I'd much rather football in general go back to a game where, largely, everyone has just as much chance as everyone else.  Yes, there will be better clubs than others but the current gulf between the best and the rest, as emphasised by Barca last night is a horrible situation for the game to be in.

I don't think Barca emphasise that as much as Real, Chelsea or City tonking someone. I know Barca aren't always saints and they do spend money we couldn't imagine, but essentially once a season rather than three times at least. They are not the problem as much as the teams who try and buy every component of their squad.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
They are not the problem as much as the teams who try and buy every component of their squad.

Au contraire.

I think you are being tricked by the general misconception that Barca "do things properly".  It wasn't that long ago that the Barca president was complaining that the big clubs aren't earning enough revenue and that they should have more Champions League games and play them on a weekend:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wire-news/fifauefa-should-pay-playerstournaments-says-barca-head_618296.html

Offline Monty

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
They are not the problem as much as the teams who try and buy every component of their squad.

Au contraire.

I think you are being tricked by the general misconception that Barca "do things properly".  It wasn't that long ago that the Barca president was complaining that the big clubs aren't earning enough revenue and that they should have more Champions League games and play them on a weekend:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wire-news/fifauefa-should-pay-playerstournaments-says-barca-head_618296.html

Don't conveniently fail to to quote the bit where I said "Barca aren't always saints". This isn't an issue of good vs. evil, despite what the Catalan press want to portray, but it is a case of shades of grey, where one club is doing things better than many others. Lack of perfection does not imply total moral failure.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

Au contraire.

Don't conveniently fail to to quote the bit where I said "Barca aren't always saints". This isn't an issue of good vs. evil, despite what the Catalan press want to portray, but it is a case of shades of grey, where one club is doing things better than many others. Lack of perfection does not imply total moral failure.

Sorry, I didn't mean to intentionally misquote you but I was picking up on your comment that 'they are not the problem'.  I believe that Barca are just as much of the problem as the other big clubs who are all essentially trying to financially imbalance the game to their own benefit.  I don't believe this is in the long-term benefit of the game as a whole and it's certainly not to the benefit of the 'almost-there' clubs such as the Villa who get themselves in to financial strife attempting to reach the promised land.

Offline Monty

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
That's ok, and I agree, the Spanish league is kept in its current astonishing state of imbalance largely by the individually negotiated TV deals which Barca and Real hold. I would still maintain that they are not the problem anywhere near to the same extent as other clubs, however, as their intelligent use of money they have is, in many ways, a good model for many clubs.

Offline myf

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
It'd be much easier to just move to Catalonia and watch actual Barcelona.

You also get to live by the sea in a city full of lovely architecture, fantastic restaurants and lovely women.

I know we all like to think we have Villa in our blood, but honestly, I reckon I'd be over us in about three weeks.

They also have orange trees growing on the roads approaching the ground, beer sellers in the stands (with change passed along the rows of seats!), and sitting in the gods watching the game and the sun setting is amazing.  Still prefer VP though!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal