collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much to turn us into a Barcelona?  (Read 12791 times)

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: How much to turn us into a Barcelona?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
If it were possible for an English club to do, Manchester United would already have done it.

They have had years of stability, success, unlimited money, public support and the pick of young players on three continents.

And yet they are still closer in quality to Villa than they are to Barcelona.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »
Get the philosophy right first, that's free. The reserves played like that 2nd half Monday night, we just need to take it up one more level.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
A lot of money, but on wages and infrastructure as much if not more than transfer fees.

Mascherano took a substantial drop in wages to sign for them, makes you wonder how much Liverpool were paying him.

Offline Shoody

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »
A world class academy system, a clear progression through there with world class scouts finding kids and a big emphasis on local lads. Finding them much younger than we do currently, getting them in house in Villa dorms, bring them up to love the club and give a good education incase they don't make it.

Sustained motivation from the first team (who also happen to be world class players and love the club) for the young kids to make it, helping out with coaching and as role models.

A revenue much bigger than we do currently so that when we finally do pull the next Messi out of the arse-end of Erdington that we can actually keep him by paying him sickening amounts each week.

Thats the easy bit and then all we need is a young manager who plays attractive football who used to play for the club in his pomp..

Also all these world class graduates of the academy to break through at the same time and also just so happen that we have world class players in every position come through at once, they all click very well with a few additions and none of our players get poached by other clubs.

Repeat for next 40 years.

Easy.

I'd say 300m initial investment with about 10m per year investment into the academy (Barca's costs £8m? a year to run?). And about 20 years worth of continued investment (into academy) and (first team) success. None of which would be of any point unless the entire time the whole club was pulling in one direction, with one aim and one set out way of doing things (style of football etc) without any deviation from that plan.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:47:15 PM by Shoody »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
It'd be much easier to just move to Catalonia and watch actual Barcelona.

You also get to live by the sea in a city full of lovely architecture, fantastic restaurants and lovely women.

I know we all like to think we have Villa in our blood, but honestly, I reckon I'd be over us in about three weeks.

Well, I can only say as someone who's moved too far away from Villa to go too often - and who goes to plenty  of non-Villa games up here - the Villa never do leave you. Having said that, I go to Hibs, Hearts and Falkirk games, so maybe the Barca comparison isn't accurate.

I moved a long way away for three years, and watched lots of local football, and forgot Villa really quickly. In fairness, I was living in Italy and watching Milan frequently (when they were good) rather than Scottish fitball.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »
Buy this book and find out how it was done, it's a brilliant read.

http://www.backpagepress.co.uk/

Offline steffo

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
I went to see Barcelona last weekend.

I can confirm that the women were lovely.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »
Chelski spent how many hundreds of millions and still havent achieved Barca status yet.
It aint just the cash. Barca also have a footballing philosophy along side the cash to purchase the top talent.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19:18 AM »
Falkirk are a pretty good footballing side to be fair.

And they're really using the youngsters. Craig Sibald is only 16, but he's been brilliant all season. They may or may not get promotion, but there's an atmosphere and a sense of fun about the place which, more and more, I'm convinced is our way forward.

You also get to live by the sea in a city full of lovely architecture, fantastic restaurants and lovely women.

I know we all like to think we have Villa in our blood, but honestly, I reckon I'd be over us in about three weeks.

Well, I can only say as someone who's moved too far away from Villa to go too often - and who goes to plenty  of non-Villa games up here - the Villa never do leave you. Having said that, I go to Hibs, Hearts and Falkirk games, so maybe the Barca comparison isn't accurate.

I moved a long way away for three years, and watched lots of local football, and forgot Villa really quickly. In fairness, I was living in Italy and watching Milan frequently (when they were good) rather than Scottish fitball.

Well that is a slightly higher standard. Bad spelling, by the way. It's definitely fitbaw.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »
One huge benefit Barca have that I do not think any club can replicate is the fact that after Barca there is only one move for a player and that is downwards. 

Arsenal have arguable copied their model but every year or two loose their star player(s).  Even Man U lost Ronaldo, whereas I do not think there is a club in the world that could buy Messi, unless Barca choose to sell him.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 06:45:22 AM »
We're the anti-Barcelona, well, anti-football

Will that do?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:41:57 AM by Rip Van Bentfletch »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »
One huge benefit Barca have that I do not think any club can replicate is the fact that after Barca there is only one move for a player and that is downwards. 

Arsenal have arguable copied their model but every year or two loose their star player(s).  Even Man U lost Ronaldo, whereas I do not think there is a club in the world that could buy Messi, unless Barca choose to sell him.

Arsenal for about 12 months played some of the best football seen in this country a few seasons back, and then got thumped by Barcelona. They are the model for me, not Barca, as the Arsenal model is achievable. I also think if Wenger was a little less stubborn or still have David Dein above him, then Arsenal would be very close to Barca now. Losing players through the wage issue has killed them, as have the youngsters not reaching the potential expected 3-2 seasons back. There was a spanish kid they thought was the next Fabregas that never made it etc.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 07:53:58 AM »

Sounds exactly like where I live!

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:30 AM »

They said that about Luis Figo, and look where he moved to!

Offline AlwaysAVFC

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:16 AM »
Barcelona just live and breathe a football culture.

After a tour round the nou camp you go through a museum. With all the success they've had it could be all about them and how great they are, but its not it just shows a passion for football and the best players in the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal