collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Michael Bradley  (Read 13280 times)

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Michael Bradley
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:09 AM »
It comes to something when we're lamenting the absence of Gerard Houllier. The man was a walking disaster. Now we have walking disaster Mark II.

As for this Bradley fella, I only remember his appearance at Blackpool. He was atrocious.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 12:45:10 AM »
Perhaps with more time some of his other assets would have come to the fore.

He might have given us the height and strength we need in the middle of the park and he usually weighs in with a few goals for club and country.

But any manager coming in will have his own ideas about the players he wants, so it's no surprise that the Big Eck didn't sign off on that one. That his own choices have largely been gash is a different argument for a different thread.  B-lose were apparently set to sign him had they stopped up in 2009, so maybe he felt what he inherited  at VP was better and it was an unnecessary outlay.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:19 AM »
Perhaps with more time some of his other assets would have come to the fore.

He might have given us the height and strength we need in the middle of the park and he usually weighs in with a few goals for club and country.

But any manager coming in will have his own ideas about the players he wants, so it's no surprise that the Big Eck didn't sign off on that one. That his own choices have largely been gash is a different argument for a different thread.  B-lose were apparently set to sign him had they stopped up in 2009, so maybe he felt what he inherited  at VP was better and it was an unnecessary outlay.

I'm not even blaming McLeish for this one, just saying that, through circumstance, it's a missed opportunity for the club.

And if he thought what he inherited at Villa was better, fine. As you say, it's an entirely different debate, but the retention, or perhaps prioritisation, of Delph ahead of Makoun seems a strange one to me.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »
If sorting our wage bill out is the priority then MLS may be the way forward.  Bolton signed someone in January from MLS whose wages over there had been £34k.

Not per week, £34k per year!

Quite right, I saw this morning Ballotelli was fined 1 weeks wages £120,000 nothing short of disgraceful

Offline Merv

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
I'd have thought a player with poor technique would have been instantly shown up in Serie A, too. It's just interesting to see how he's getting on at Chievo. By the sound of it - not the first time I've read similar reviews - he won't be there long.

The sickener, for me, with Bradley, was that when the decision was made not to sign him - and I think the fee at the time was reported as £2.5m - the explanation was that AM had other options in mind. I braced myself for a better midfielder coming in...

Offline pedro25

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
But we got Jenas!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
I thought it was 4m Moncengladbach were asking?

How much did Chievo sign him for in the end?

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
I love how people feel they can make a full judgement on a player from four appearances of which I think one was a cameo, another against Blackpool when we had only ten men on account of Makoun being sent off, a game where we played a shadow side and one other I've forgotten.

Indeed. He played less than 20 mins at Blackpool after Makoun went off, the Man City cup debacle, 10 minutes at the Emirates and a couple of minutes against the dippers last match of the season. He just about managed 100 minutes in a Villa shirt. Which apparently is enough for some on here to write him off. It really is a joke.

Meanwhile months or years into their Villa careera Zog needs more time, as does Ireland. And Bannan. And Albrighton. And Fonz etc.

He did look like a headless chicken against Citeh, but to be fair, the whole team were dire that night.

Agree absolutely re: Zog/Ireland, both of which have had ample experience in the PL before they joined us.

In fact how many non-British players have Villa brought directly in to the PL, who weren't given a fair crack of the whip over the years?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
In fact how many non-British players have Villa brought directly in to the PL, who weren't given a fair crack of the whip over the years?

Bosko Balaban - he was going to be the next big thing you know!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
Angel was given a very fair crack of a very expensive whip. As was Bouma. Laursen & Carew.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
And if today's rumours that we are considering Jermaine Jones have any credence, makes you wonder why we would want him, but not the younger, better Bradley.

I don't think I've seen a more anonymous midfield performance than Jones' for Blackburn last season. And I include our own in that.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »
He must have been bad, I don't even remember him being at Blackburn. Avoid that one Villa.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
I've never heard of him and dont remember him playing last season. Which I suppose says it all.
I therefore hope there is nothing to the rumour.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
Well it is in The Mirror. So I wouldn't expect that there is.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
The Mirror. Always true.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal