collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 07:48:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 07:47:20 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smirker
[Today at 07:43:56 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 07:41:32 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:35:56 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by AV84
[Today at 07:29:21 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 07:28:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:22:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shopping in the Lower Leagues  (Read 10956 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Shopping in the Lower Leagues
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
Doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Surely there must be another potential Mark Delaney out there?

Why do top flight clubs no longer do it?

Laziness or fear of gambling on an unknown quantity?

Standard in lower divisions is poorer these days, or are modern day coaches no longer capable of shining a rough diamond?

Discuss.

Offline Simon Ward

Re: Shopping in the Lower Leagues
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
Jordan Rhodes! Need I say more?

Offline villanic

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
I think the price of some of the lower league players put a lot of people off. Jordan Rhodes at Huddersfield being valued at around £4m and that’s a lot of money to pay for someone who has only scored goals in league 1.

I wouldn’t be surprised though if a few more clubs in the top flight started looking at the championship for players based on what the some of the Norwich and Swansea players have achieved this season.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »
There was a discussion about this on the Monday Night Club on R5 this week, prompted by an interview with Rickie Lambert of Southampton. Apparently he played in the same Rochdale team as Grant Holt of Norwich. The general consensus was that there are players knocking about in the lower leagues who could easily do a job in the top flight, but who are overlooked on the basis of their CV. I don't follow lower league football closely enough to have an opinion on whether this is true or not.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:41:39 AM by FatSam »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
I have been on about Rhodes for a couple of seasons as it goes.

There are still bargains to be had but the driver in football these days is instant success so I guess that is why less teams take a punt.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
Overseas players. So why bother ?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
There are bound to players out there, most notably Clynne and Zaha but I guess you mean lower down than that. As people have mentioned Rhodes will get picked up at somepoint. I'm sure the players are out there, not sure why there isn't much desire to search.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
Inflated costs even in the lower leagues of English football puts people off I guess. Unless your name is Martin of course.

Always thought Clyne at Palace looked decent and surprised no PL club has taken a punt on Whittingham.

Offline villanic

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
Apparently Rhodes is on over 10k a week at Huddersfield as well. Don’t know how true that is though, I heard Darren Gough say it on Talksport so It might be bollocks.

I’ve seen Southampton a couple of time on sky and thought Lallana looks very good but looks like they’re getting promoted this season.

Offline nigel

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
I'll probably get crucified for this, but, the young lad at Blues, Redmond looks half decent. Villa fan, too, apparently.

Offline villanic

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
Most of the players being mentioned seem to be attacking players and I don’t think AM would go for any of them. More likely he’ll go for League 2 defenders who can really launch the ball up to the target man!

Don’t like to admit it but I think Redmond looks a decent player to.

Offline mal

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Ihav
There was a discussion about this on the Monday Night Club on R5 this week, prompted by an interview with Richie Lambert of Southampton. Apparently he played in the same Rochdale team as Grant Holt of Norwich. The general consensus was that there are players knocking about in the lower leagues who could easily do a job in the top flight, but who are overlooked on the basis of their CV. I don't follow lower league football closely enough to have an opinion on whether this is true or not.
I have never understood why Lambert hasnt done better.
2005–2006    Rochdale    64    (28)
2006–2009    Bristol Rovers    128    (51)
2009–    Southampton    120    (70)
When you consider that both Rochdale and The Gas were struggling at the foot of their tables that looks a lot better. Add to that his seemless transfer of form up a division twice with Southampton and you wonder why no one gave him a go.

Offline villanic

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »
Ihav
There was a discussion about this on the Monday Night Club on R5 this week, prompted by an interview with Richie Lambert of Southampton. Apparently he played in the same Rochdale team as Grant Holt of Norwich. The general consensus was that there are players knocking about in the lower leagues who could easily do a job in the top flight, but who are overlooked on the basis of their CV. I don't follow lower league football closely enough to have an opinion on whether this is true or not.
I have never understood why Lambert hasnt done better.
2005–2006    Rochdale    64    (28)
2006–2009    Bristol Rovers    128    (51)
2009–    Southampton    120    (70)
When you consider that both Rochdale and The Gas were struggling at the foot of their tables that looks a lot better. Add to that his seemless transfer of form up a division twice with Southampton and you wonder why no one gave him a go.

Robbie Earnshaw scored goals in all the lower leagues but stuggled in the prem. I think thats the main worry over a lot of the players in championship and below, Can they make the step up?

I would like to see more get a chance to have a go at the prem but i think clubs are scared to take the risk.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
I'll probably get crucified for this, but, the young lad at Blues, Redmond looks half decent. Villa fan, too, apparently.

Why would you get crucified for that? Redmond is an excellent prospect.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
Robbie Earnshaw scored goals in all the lower leagues but stuggled in the prem
Comparatively so, but he still finished as West Brom's top scorer that season with 14 goals.

If we spent £3/4m on a lower-league striker and he got 14 goals next season I'd consider that a great return.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal