collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Davis to return  (Read 22476 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Steven Davis to return
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
Not overly happy don't think he's up to much, but if he comes back good luck to him.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
Although it would not be the disasterous move people are making out, I can't see it happening and the reports this morning suggest that some kind of deal may be reached to secure the wage drop needed.

There was something on the news last night saying the players had agreed in principle and then the agents came wading in and said no. I don't know if that has been resolved.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
Davis has left Rangers according to five live this morning along with two others whose names were largely meaningless to me.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
Rangers second largest share holder Dave King is now saying that winding up is inevitable, so if we hold on for a couple of weeks we'll be able to ship the whole squad in for next to nothing. ;)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
I read today that Steven Davis is thought to be on 28k a week at Rangers.

That is surely a gigantic salary for Scotland, and explains a lot about how they've ended up in this mess?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

That is surely a gigantic salary for Scotland, and explains a lot about how they've ended up in this mess?

Ridiculous.

I'm not keen anyway, but I wouldn't give him that wage here.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
So he was asked to take a 75% pay cut which would have put him on a 'pittance' of £7k per week.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

Ridiculous.

I'm not keen anyway, but I wouldn't give him that wage here.

28k per week in the premiership is peanuts - he's worth that when others are on twice that amount at Villa Park

Offline teamvillage

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
So he was asked to take a 75% pay cut which would have put him on a 'pittance' of £7k per week.

Yes but if his agent was insisting on his 10% or 15% of the pre-paycut amount, that might have been an issue.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »
Trouble is any Rangers player leaving will probably on Champs League bonus's etc which would have to be factored in to his new club deal....but if he's been made redundant then they lose their bargining position somewhat, unless a few clubs are interested.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
Friday is the day that an announcement will be made at Rangers, my source is adamant the Davis wont be at Ibrox next week. Mcleish is said to be interested and Davis would jump at the chance.

Also told that If Rangers don't find a buyer in next 6 to 8 weeks they wont be able to fulfil rest of seasons fixtures.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
Not sure why there is so much negativity towards the potential signing of Davis.  Ok, he wasnt the best when he left and never really fulfilled his potential at Fulham but he seems to have matured while playing at Rangers and is the captain. 
Alot of us, including me, were against the signing of Keave on a short term deal but he proved to be a hit.  Whats not to say that Davis could be just as influencial?  just a thought and I could be wrong but I think players should be given a chance at least.  A short term deal until the end of the season should be considered and if it doesnt work out, at least he will be off the wage bill come the summer.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
Not sure why there is so much negativity towards the potential signing of Davis.  Ok, he wasnt the best when he left and never really fulfilled his potential at Fulham but he seems to have matured while playing at Rangers and is the captain. 
Alot of us, including me, were against the signing of Keave on a short term deal but he proved to be a hit.  Whats not to say that Davis could be just as influencial?  just a thought and I could be wrong but I think players should be given a chance at least.  A short term deal until the end of the season should be considered and if it doesnt work out, at least he will be off the wage bill come the summer.

because it is somewhat fashionable to be underwhelmed and cynical at everything the club does right now. Much of it justified, but even the stuff that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things is bashed and battered. If Davis returns he wouldn't be coming in to lead the charge towards CL glory. We have to remember where we are as a club right now, and a player that is captain of his team, that would love to play for us again, and essentially at this time have exactly the right attitude we need shouldn't be dismissed so readily.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »

because it is somewhat fashionable to be underwhelmed and cynical at everything the club does right now. Much of it justified, but even the stuff that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things is bashed and battered. If Davis returns he wouldn't be coming in to lead the charge towards CL glory. We have to remember where we are as a club right now, and a player that is captain of his team, that would love to play for us again, and essentially at this time have exactly the right attitude we need shouldn't be dismissed so readily.

Spot on. I think some of us still think its 2008.

Offline Merv

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »
I can see the merits of signing Davis as we stand now. We're pretty light in midfield and our options to strengthen immediately are very limited. Don't think he's the style of midfielder we need - not far off what Ireland and Bannan provide - but I won't grumble if he signs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal