collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press etc  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Villanation

Re: Press etc
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
Good article, Dave. While we've obviously been left behind by teams like Chelsea and Man City, many feel that being owned by a billionaire owner like Abramovich, with his 8 managers in 9 years, is a not price worth paying for success. In any case, as Blackburn fans have discovered, there aren't many such owners and perhaps never will be. What is more important is that we are able to compete with teams like Newcastle, Everton and Spurs who haven't got super-rich backers and that Randy ensures that we have the right management team, on and off the field, to achieve this. Perhaps we have. In O'Neill's first season we went through a dreadful period at this time of year. Despite our good start, after 27 games we had won 7 and had 32 points (which would have been our position today if it hadn't been for Paul Robinson!). I haven't made my mind up about McLeish, but I can see the argument for letting him build his own squad in the summer. It will be interesting to see to what extent Randy, who is not super-rich but probably better off than most PL owners, will back him financially.

The problem is Aston Villa clearly have very very limited funds, its being rumored today that RL has told AM to start looking for freebies to sign in the summer, that's how little money there is, and even if we had a transfer kitty, with dwindling coffers would you trust our last best hope in the hands of McLiesh, no chance for me.

I don't agree with the point made in the article about poor finishing, other than Hutton on the right who had no chance in a reign of pigs pudding of getting a goal and the Gabby header, which you can only come to the conclusion was spot on, Gabby got that right out the coaching manual bang on right, he got his height right made perfect contact and with the keeper adjacent headed the ball down being exactly the right place, to say anything else takes away from Robinson what was a world class save, doubt very much Gabby thought s1ht, should have got that one, more a case of how the **** did he get that.

Other than that i'm struggling to remember a real clear cut chance.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
Aren't the majority of Spurs' shares owned by a multi-billionaire financier? I forget his name.

Joe Lewis

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »
Good article, Dave. While we've obviously been left behind by teams like Chelsea and Man City, many feel that being owned by a billionaire owner like Abramovich, with his 8 managers in 9 years, is a not price worth paying for success. In any case, as Blackburn fans have discovered, there aren't many such owners and perhaps never will be. What is more important is that we are able to compete with teams like Newcastle, Everton and Spurs who haven't got super-rich backers and that Randy ensures that we have the right management team, on and off the field, to achieve this. Perhaps we have. In O'Neill's first season we went through a dreadful period at this time of year. Despite our good start, after 27 games we had won 7 and had 32 points (which would have been our position today if it hadn't been for Paul Robinson!). I haven't made my mind up about McLeish, but I can see the argument for letting him build his own squad in the summer. It will be interesting to see to what extent Randy, who is not super-rich but probably better off than most PL owners, will back him financially.

The problem is Aston Villa clearly have very very limited funds, its being rumored today that RL has told AM to start looking for freebies to sign in the summer, that's how little money there is, and even if we had a transfer kitty, with dwindling coffers would you trust our last best hope in the hands of McLiesh, no chance for me.

I don't agree with the point made in the article about poor finishing, other than Hutton on the right who had no chance in a reign of pigs pudding of getting a goal and the Gabby header, which you can only come to the conclusion was spot on, Gabby got that right out the coaching manual bang on right, he got his height right made perfect contact and with the keeper adjacent headed the ball down being exactly the right place, to say anything else takes away from Robinson what was a world class save, doubt very much Gabby thought s1ht, should have got that one, more a case of how the **** did he get that.

The one that N'Zogbia had in the 1st half about 7 yards out when he hit it almost straight at Robinson

Offline Villanation

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

The one that N'Zogbia had in the 1st half about 7 yards out when he hit it almost straight at Robinson

I was in the toilet for that one  ;)

Offline nigel

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
Good article Dave.
I've mentioned on other threads that AMcL should have this season as a freebee. Given he lost our 3 best players before the season started, and wasn't really able to replace, it was always going to be a struggle.
He's got to be given the chance to build 'His' team, not continue with half of MO'Ns team.
Had Houlier stayed I'm sure most of them would have gone by now and probably be playing some decent football.
Let's hope we're just running a season behind!

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
<Pedantic> I thought I should let you know you have an errant Either in:-

Randy Lerner invested another £25 million during the year, although some would say that he should either be putting more into the club.

</Pedantic>

At least next week the angle could be on getting decent loanees in or free agents when Pog or Diarra spoil our win streak.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal