collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread: Speculation, Lies, Absolute Cr*p and Bosman Rumours  (Read 2449074 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Speculation: Ivica Olic (Bayern Munich)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
McLeish + Bosmans = Relegation.

Assuming we avoid it this season.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
I was in Hamburg the night Olic ripped us apart. Maybe a bit of a Luc Nilis style signing, and could be a masterstroke. Injury prone forwards with lots of talent can be useful, even if only in 25 games a season or so.
havent we got an injury prone 30 plus player in Heskey?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
Any spare funds we have would be best utilised paying off McLeish so he can fuck off, and on getting in a successor who has a clue.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
I was in Hamburg the night Olic ripped us apart. Maybe a bit of a Luc Nilis style signing, and could be a masterstroke. Injury prone forwards with lots of talent can be useful, even if only in 25 games a season or so.

Aside from the McLeish kicking, I think Keane and all too briefly Jenas showed the gulf in technical ability between  themselves and the players on our books.

We're in no position to sign someone of this mans quality in his pomp, so I haven't a problem with taking a chance on his fitness. Rather that than go for some safe, 27 year old, huffer and puffer who would never be good enough.
Got enough of them as it is.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »

There's an injury in your head if you are comparing Olic and Heskey. I wish we had taken a risk on injury prone Demba Ba in the summer, and I'm glad we took a gamble on way past it Robbie Keane this season.

Offline nigel

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
a good player no doubt and a good idea to have a mixture of a few quality Bosmans with the youth coming through.

but then I remember we have a manager who doesnt want to play expansive attacking football but would rather

draw the season with a few attackingless one nil defeats against the big boys how depressing
Agree with your first paragraph, but, although I understand what you're saying in the next 2, do you not feel that it's some of the players who struggle to play "expansive football"?
I'm not defending AMcL, but, I do feel he's got to play with the hand he was dealt with, and, personally, I don't think some of them are good enough.
I've always said, you have to give him this season as a freebee, and judge him on the first 2 or 3 months next season when he's bought his own players in.

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
Olic used to have pace. I haven't seen him in a few years, well since he tore us one, but I assume at 32 and with a string of injuries that he'll have lost his pace. That said he's technically pretty good as you'd expect from a Croation international. I don't see him having a great deal of impact though. Better than Heskey, but we could do better.

Plus he plays for Bayern, I'd assume if he came here, on a Bosman, it'd cost us a lot in wages and a signing on fee. I'd rather give youngsters a chance. Gabby and Bent are experienced enough to help them out.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
This is absolutely fantastic news ... I almost can't get   Oh I am fainting .... Oxygen  someone please

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
O
No comparison to Heskey as Olic was a footballer. Now he is too old for PL.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
I almost can't get   Oh I am fainting .... Oxygen  someone please
Is that what Heskey will be shouting during today's game?

Offline woody4866

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
"Olic, 32, is out-of-contract following an injury-played few seasons with the Bavarian club but fits the bill as far as McLeish is concerned"

I assume he has good defensive qualities then? ::)

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
Olic looked quality a few years back. Haven't really seen much of him at Bayern but I do rate him.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
O
No comparison to Heskey as Olic was a footballer. Now he is too old for PL.

He's 32. It's hardly ancient. 

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
He'll be ancient at the end of his 5 year contract.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
We
McLeish + Bosmans = Relegation.

Assuming we avoid it this season.

I don't think we will mate. You would like to think that this story is bullshit and the idiots that run the club realise their mistake get rid of AM, sell up and leave.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal