collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread: Speculation, Lies, Absolute Cr*p and Bosman Rumours  (Read 2450475 times)

Offline Shoody

MatKendrick has just said on twitter we are looking at both transfer-fee signings and Bosmans this summer and provided a link to this article by Neil Moxley of the Daily Mail, which says we are looking at 'good' bosman deals (with quotes from McLeish). Moxley also says Glenn Roeder was at match scouting for us recently, believed to be Olic who is able to leave Bayern on a Bosman this summer...:

Ivica Olic is one of the names on Alex McLeish's summer wish-list. The Bayern Munich forward was scouted by Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago as the Scot looks to complete a major overhaul of his playing staff this summer.

Olic, 32, is out-of-contract following an injury-played few seasons with the Bavarian club but fits the bill as far as McLeish is concerned.

Villa scout Glenn Roeder travelled to watch Freiberg and Munich battle out a 0-0 draw and although Olic was on the bench that afternoon, he is understood to be the one on McLeish's radar.

The Croatia international was one of the hottest properties in Europe when he starred for Martin Jol's Hamburg side. And it is likely that the Cottagers' boss too will be interested in securing a quality player on a Bosman. However, McLeish has admitted making plans already ahead of next season. He said: 'We have already made plans to bring some players in. We have looked at a lot - Bosman signings but of good quality.

Injury-plagued: Olic has had a frustrating couple of seasons at Bayern Munich

'I've not been able to stamp my own personality on the team yet. But it was something I agreed to.
'We agreed we would drive the wage bill to a certain level before we started doing business again.
'So we are doing our homework now because we are being prudent. That's why we are scouting as many good Bosman signings as we can.
'I'm sure the chairman would sanction big wages again as long as it was kept within our parameters.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2109484/Aston-Villa-plan-swoop-Bayern-Munich-forward-Ivica-Olic.html#ixzz1o0MYopqs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:51:12 PM by Legion »

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Speculation: Ivica Olic (Bayern Munich)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »
a good player no doubt and a good idea to have a mixture of a few quality Bosmans with the youth coming through.

but then I remember we have a manager who doesnt want to play expansive attacking football but would rather

draw the season with a few attackingless one nil defeats against the big boys how depressing

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
Injury prone 32 year old forward.

Great.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »
He ripped us apart a few years ago at Hamburg. Quality player, can't remember if he is reliant on pace. After Keane's stint here it looks like McLeish is eager to have for an experienced number ten type player.

Is this the official summer speculation thread then? Expect much wailing and gnashing(/greg) over the coming six months so.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
Something like this wouldn't surprise me. McLeish will be more adventurous than MON ever was in the market. He managed to get the likes of Hleb, Martens and Zarate to play for that lot, and they are all players that have played for top clubs in Europe. Now, what he did with them is another matter, but he's still willing to go fishing in, what would be for us at least guven our dealings in the past 5 years, unchartered waters. Robbie Keane should prove to everyone that you shouldn't discount players with a proven record so quickly. Despite their age.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:44:04 AM »
My expectations are flying already

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »
Although I must admit I was hoping he was a manager

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »
Exciting times.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
Be still my beating heart.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
Olic made mugs of us in Hamburg.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:21 AM »
The only place I want to see McLeish recruiting players next season is into his fantasy football team.

Online ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »
I was in Hamburg the night Olic ripped us apart. Maybe a bit of a Luc Nilis style signing, and could be a masterstroke. Injury prone forwards with lots of talent can be useful, even if only in 25 games a season or so.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
Something like this wouldn't surprise me. McLeish will be more adventurous than MON ever was in the market. He managed to get the likes of Hleb, Martens and Zarate to play for that lot, and they are all players that have played for top clubs in Europe. Now, what he did with them is another matter, but he's still willing to go fishing in, what would be for us at least guven our dealings in the past 5 years, unchartered waters. Robbie Keane should prove to everyone that you shouldn't discount players with a proven record so quickly. Despite their age.

And Hleb moaned about Mcleish style of play, Alex said he didn't have the players.. Well he bought them.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55:57 AM »
Olic - a great player in his time - is the "Keane" player that perhpas McL thinks he needs.
I doubt he'd join us without a Euro vase to play in.

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »
He did rip us apart but he's 32 do we want another Heskey on our hands?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal