collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cheltenahm Festival  (Read 18477 times)

Offline Bottom Right 89

Re: Cheltenahm Festival
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
The best week of the year is nearly upon us and I can't bloody well wait. I'll be there the whole week. Had a few nibbles on the antepost markets so far:

Colour Squadron e/w @ 16/1 - Supreme
Cue Card e/w @ 8/1 - Arkle
Rock on Ruby e/w @ 14/1 - Champ Hurdle
Oscars Well e/w @ 12/1 - Champ Hurdle
For Non Stop e/w @ 8/1 - Jewson

Also chucked a couple of quid at Medermit for the Gold Cup @ 60 on Betfair as I have a suspicion they'll go for this instead of the Ryanair and he'll be more like 14s on the day if he lined up.

I'd happily take a losing week though if the mighty Kauto turned up and did it again.
See you down the Sunderlands marquee on Thursday for a couple of Lansons.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:36 AM »
Oh great, its horse torturing time again in 'Nam.

This so-called sport should be banned.

Animal should not suffer for the entertainment of humans.

Different year, same ill informed argument. Its easy to see why people fall into the trap, but they do so without full knowledge of the facts.

Race horses are in the vast majority of cases treated like absolute royalty. This is both during their racing days and after. Horses love to run and jump, no horse would ever consider jumping a fence if it didn't want to.

Race horses are greatly loved by owners, trainers and stable workers. Racing provides numerous jobs and an exciting social experience.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:25:16 AM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »
If Horse Racing were a working class sport, it would have been outlawed long ago.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
If Horse Racing were a working class sport, it would have been outlawed long ago.

Cheltenham next week is pretty working class. One quite often spots Association Football oiks in the cheaper areas ! ;-)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »

Different year, same ill informed argument. Its easy to see why people fall into the trap, but they do so without full knowledge of the facts.

Race horses are in the vast majority of cases treated like absolute royalty. This is both during their racing days and after. Horses love to run and jump, no horse would ever consider jumping a fence if it didn't want to.

Race horses are greatly loved by owners, trainers and stable workers. Racing provides numerous jobs and an exciting social experience.

Until they fall awkwardly and get shot.

Why is my argument ill-informed ? I don't believe that animals should be bred for the entertainment of people.
I don't care how well they're looked after while they're alive. That's not the point.

Horse Racing isn't even a proper sport, its just a vehicle for gambling.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:13:11 PM by UK Redsox »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
organised a trip for next friday, there is still a couple of seats left with club tickets if anyones interested but leaving from N Pagnell,

come on UK Redsox, you know you want too !

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »

Why is my argument ill-informed ? I don't believe that animals should be bred for the entertainment of people.
I don't care how well they're looked after while they're alive. That's not the point.

It's ill informed for a no of reasons.

One being that the amount of horses that suffer injuries is incredibly low. Horses suffer injuries no matter what "line of work" they are in.

Another being that the health and safety of the horses and jockeys is made absolutely paramount by the relevant bodies. Fences have been noticeably shortened over the years and courses are never left too soft or firm.

Gambling is a big part of racing, that's true. However, its also true of all major sports.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »

It's ill informed for a no of reasons.

One being that the amount of horses that suffer injuries is incredibly low. Horses suffer injuries no matter what "line of work" they are in.

Another being that the health and safety of the horses and jockeys is made absolutely paramount by the relevant bodies. Fences have been noticeably shortened over the years and courses are never left too soft or firm.

Gambling is a big part of racing, that's true. However, its also true of all major sports.

i'm a big horse racing fan, and have been going to Cheltenham for the last 20 years, i absolutly love it.

but the fact that in certain years there have been up to half a dozen deaths on the coarse sugests that UK Redsox does have something of a point,
i agree with the points you have made and racing is certainly a safer sport today, but tragedies do still occur, even for a died in the wool enthusiast like me its hard to justify at times,
 i love boxing as well and i find the same questions arise

Offline andyaston

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
I go to the Bars around the Montpillier area because its nearer the station, they are ok. Does anyone know of other places worth drinking in if we go for a change?

Offline Bald Eagle

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
I go to the Bars around the Montpillier area because its nearer the station, they are ok. Does anyone know of other places worth drinking in if we go for a change?
We get to Cheltenham at 9.00am. Get the bus from the station which will take you to the town . We go to Witherspoons for a breakfast with a pint. £3.50 for a cracking nosebag and a choice of ales. The bus outside the pub takes you straight to the course.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
We get to Cheltenham at 9.00am. Get the bus from the station which will take you to the town . We go to Witherspoons for a breakfast with a pint. £3.50 for a cracking nosebag and a choice of ales. The bus outside the pub takes you straight to the course.
Might consider that one, cheers its one option.

Offline bob

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
I'm getting the coach from London at 9am, get to Cheltenham just after 11, I think.

Never been before... presume we will be dropped off at the course, so where do we go for a few bevvies?

Is it ridiculously super jam packed with people everywhere you go inside?

Will there be a H&V meet up or is that a total logistical nightmare?

Offline andyaston

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
Bob, its busy at the Bars inside the course but nothing like pubs before a Villa game. Plenty of staff but you have to put up with plastic cups. Great atmosphere though, hope you have a good day out.

Offline bob

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
Alan King rules Invcitus out the RSA. Unfortunate as I really fancied him for it. Thankfully had only put a tiny bet down before NRNB.

Offline bob

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
Cheers andy!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal