collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa discussion on Talksport today  (Read 33125 times)

Offline pedro25

Re: Villa discussion on Talksport today
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
Is it worth in excess of £100 million though? If we put them up for sale now, is that what we'd get for them?
I've just being trying to do something with my hopeless (as usual) fantasy league side and Swansea have the 3rd best goalie in the division (measured in clean sheets), and both Swansea and Norwich have midfielders and forwards amongst the the top 10 players in the league. Crap as we may have been against Swansea - their players didn't assemble those player points because we're shit - they got there because they're good. Isn't it a bit of a trap to assume that just because they're newly promoted, or they don't have players that Sky talk up, that they're not very good? They have some good up & coming players amongst their lot, whilst we have some seriously over the hill tat amongst ours.

Of course it's not, but that's what it cost in terms of transfer fees, so you'd think they were pretty decent players at some stage.  Your right many of our players look over the hill, but they shouldn't be at their age, we have very few outfield players older than heir early thirties, all far younger than Giggs, Scholes etc.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Can't believe he has been given hero status the way he ponced around the club

I think people have warmed to him a bit since he tends to speak well of the Villa, but nobody's given him hero status to my knowledge.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »
Is it worth in excess of £100 million though? If we put them up for sale now, is that what we'd get for them?
I've just being trying to do something with my hopeless (as usual) fantasy league side and Swansea have the 3rd best goalie in the division (measured in clean sheets), and both Swansea and Norwich have midfielders and forwards amongst the the top 10 players in the league. Crap as we may have been against Swansea - their players didn't assemble those player points because we're shit - they got there because they're good. Isn't it a bit of a trap to assume that just because they're newly promoted, or they don't have players that Sky talk up, that they're not very good? They have some good up & coming players amongst their lot, whilst we have some seriously over the hill tat amongst ours.

Of course it's not, but that's what it cost in terms of transfer fees, so you'd think they were pretty decent players at some stage.  Your right many of our players look over the hill, but they shouldn't be at their age, we have very few outfield players older than heir early thirties, all far younger than Giggs, Scholes etc.

Some players look after themselves well and go well into their 30s but aren't Giggs & Scholes really far more the exception than the rule? Giggs has been an exceptional talent for his entire career - for me theres very few players in the same bracket. You put Giggs, Scholes etc - who are the etc? Tierre Henry & Robbie Keane have both put in decent cameos recently, but beyond that I'm struggling a bit.

We've got a few of these players that you can see don't have the natural athleticism of a player like Giggs. At around 30 - with the best will in the world - they aren't part of a £100 million team anymore, and we are just setting ourselves up to miserable if we think they could be.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

Agreed

Current Squad on fee and current value
Guzan - 2m - 0
Given - 5m - 5m
Hutton - 4m - 2m
Warnock 8m - 2m
Dunne - 5m - 2m
Collins - 5m - 4m
Cuellar - 8m - 0 - out of contract this summer
Clark - 0 - 5m

Delph - 6m - 2m
Petrov - 8m - 2m
Ireland - 8m - 4m
Herd - 0 - 2m
Gardner - 0 - 4m
Bannan - 0 - 3m
NZogbia - 9.5m - 7m
Albrighton - 0 - 4m

Gabby 0 - 12m
Bent 18m - 15m
Heskey - 3m - 0
Weiman - 0 - 1m
Fonz - 0 - 1m

So roughly 75-80 million worth - and I have probably left a few out and over/ undervalued some.

Around 85-90million spent. So yeah, a few have lost value certainly, but the squad is not totally useless looking at what was spent and how they have performed at other clubs. It is certainly not a squad that should be 15th in the table. Apart from the centre of midfield, it is not bad at all on paper.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »

Some players look after themselves well and go well into their 30s but aren't Giggs & Scholes really far more the exception than the rule? Giggs has been an exceptional talent for his entire career - for me theres very few players in the same bracket. You put Giggs, Scholes etc - who are the etc? Tierre Henry & Robbie Keane have both put in decent cameos recently, but beyond that I'm struggling a bit.

We've got a few of these players that you can see don't have the natural athleticism of a player like Giggs. At around 30 - with the best will in the world - they aren't part of a £100 million team anymore, and we are just setting ourselves up to miserable if we think they could be.

I think that's the case, both Giggs and Scholes where exceptional players, so it only follows that instinctively they still have that class about them, obviously as they get older they may not be able to do the things physically that they used to, but if you get quality like that playing for you they me deliver 1 killer pass or 1 killer cross during a game and that's enough for the 3 pts.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »

Current Squad on fee and current value
Guzan - 2m - 0
Given - 5m - 5m
Hutton - 4m - 2m
Warnock 8m - 2m
Dunne - 5m - 2m
Collins - 5m - 4m
Cuellar - 8m - 0 - out of contract this summer
Clark - 0 - 5m

Delph - 6m - 2m
Petrov - 8m - 2m
Ireland - 8m - 4m
Herd - 0 - 2m
Gardner - 0 - 4m
Bannan - 0 - 3m
NZogbia - 9.5m - 7m
Albrighton - 0 - 4m

Gabby 0 - 12m
Bent 18m - 15m
Heskey - 3m - 0
Weiman - 0 - 1m
Fonz - 0 - 1m

So roughly 75-80 million worth - and I have probably left a few out and over/ undervalued some.

Makoun as well ...

Offline pedro25

« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
I agree we look light in centre mid, but we have spent about £30 mill on 4 of them (Makoun, Delph, Petrov and Ireland) so it's pretty galling to think we have to spend again in this area.  If we do get new players in this area, what sort of a loss will we have to take on those 4 players if we have to shift them on.  Also are Herd, Gardner and Bannan good enough to step up to the plate.  Same with defence, 5 experienced guys (Cuellar, Warnock, Dunne, Collins and Hutton) that cost us an awful lot of money, I don't particularly rate any of them anymore and yet I've not seen enough from Lichaj, Baker, Stevens or Clark to think they can really step up to the plate, although Clark may well do.  Revamping the defence again will be a major rebuilding task and I'm not sure McLeish is up to it.  And that's not even mentioning the waste of space Heskey.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
It was nice of Darren 'Goughy' Gough to give weight to his opinions on us by constantly pointing out that he had actually watched us play this season and he has a mate who has a box at Villa Park. It certainly made me take his opinions far more seriously.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »
He did say his mate cant get anybody to come to his box to watch Villa.

Offline villanic

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2012, 05:50:09 PM »
He did say his mate cant get anybody to come to his box to watch Villa.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that Darren Gough has got a mate!

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
Never mind one that wants to come in his box.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal