collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Takeover Rumour  (Read 83668 times)

Offline DerHammer

Re: Takeover Rumour
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »
To be honest, I don't particularly want us to become the plaything of some Near-Eastern oil magnate whose wealth is outstripped only by his ego.
I do.
I wants us to be winners.
Man City, Man Utd, Blackburn have all bought it, i'd be happy to do the same.

I've said all along that I would hate us to buy trophies & to do it the proper way-however, I think it's about tiem we deserve something like that.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »
Is a buy-out the only option?

What we seem to lack is a decent manager and an owner that has a clear idea of what investment requirements are necessary and available. And some people on the board who understand the EPL and know the football world and can operate effectively within it.

Satisfying these criteria may not mean we win loads, but we should win enough to satisfy us and enable us to continue enjoying Villa as a 'real' club rather than it being someone's bitch (which might happen if the oil men get hold of it).

I don't think these criteria are out of reach, but they require the current owner to do a few things that seem alien to him (like, eat humble pie for a start - accept that he's made some mistakes and put them right).

No? Okay, I'll get my coat.

Offline enigma

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »
Even if we do get taken over by mega rich oil Sheiks, we've kind of missed the boat with the financial fair play rules coming into play. We certainly won't be able to go on a Man City type of spending spree. Not without some very creative accounting anyway.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Really Randy Lerner doesn't seem to have the interest anymore, he certainly doesn't seem to have the bottomless pocket to achieve (which is hardly his fault) so if some rich Arab comes in from  Qatar Petroleum and wants Villa, so be it.

I don't think it's a question of Randy no longer being interested, more a case of family commitments since his divorce. Obviously on the money side, he must have got hit hard since the economic crisis.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
To be honest, I don't particularly want us to become the plaything of some Near-Eastern oil magnate whose wealth is outstripped only by his ego.

I don't think that sort of takeover means you're necessarily a plaything.  The owners of Man City have just sat back and provided the money.

I would say they're the exception, the takeovers of Malaga and PSG, not to mention Chelsea, have so far proved all about the wealthy investors and nothing to do with the fans.

I think Chelsea is an interesting example, as Abramovich, although high profile, has never given an interview about the club as far as I know?  He hit gold with Mourinho, but I think that stat is then something like 7 managers in 6 years since he left - he's obviously got an itchy trigger finger.  It's also pretty common knowledge that Schevchenko was 'his signing', as I believe Torres was also.

Yet as far as I know the Chelsea fans love him.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Really Randy Lerner doesn't seem to have the interest anymore, he certainly doesn't seem to have the bottomless pocket to achieve (which is hardly his fault) so if some rich Arab comes in from  Qatar Petroleum and wants Villa, so be it.

I don't think it's a question of Randy no longer being interested, more a case of family commitments since his divorce. Obviously on the money side, he must have got hit hard since the economic crisis.

We all have family commitments, but I find it really hard to believe that a man who has his own private jet can not make it over for more than a couple of games a season.

Offline kingus

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
I hate Man City and Chelsea for what they have done, and how they did it, but, to be honest, I hate what's happening at Villa a shit load more.   If the arabs want to buy us a chance at competing in the league, a decent cup run, and a few more European trips, I wouldn't be complaining about it.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »

We all have family commitments, but I find it really hard to believe that a man who has his own private jet can not make it over for more than a couple of games a season.

I think you're simplifying it, Paulie. I'm assuming his weekends are taken up with his son who appears to be at school hundreds of miles away from the rest of his family. The last thing I'd imagine Randy would want would be for his young son to feel abandoned. Midweek games however are a different case.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »

I think you're simplifying it, Paulie. I'm assuming his weekends are taken up with his son who appears to be at school hundreds of miles away from the rest of his family. The last thing I'd imagine Randy would want would be for his young son to feel abandoned. Midweek games however are a different case.

His son has moved to a school in the Cleveland area, which is where Randy has now based himself, too, apparently.

I still am just not going to be convinced that a day or two here or there can not be found.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

I agree.  But if it meant Emile not coming on to protect a clean sheet against the current bottom club I might be persuaded otherwise.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »

His son has moved to a school in the Cleveland area, which is where Randy has now based himself, too, apparently.

I still am just not going to be convinced that a day or two here or there can not be found.

Indeed but the rest of the family are with his ex-wife. I'd imagine that's why he's very focused on his young son.

As I said, midweek games shouldn't be too much of an issue, nor should bringing his son over as he's done many a time to see the games. Much depends on what his son wants to do.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
The Generals comment that one time still sticks in my craw, when questioned about Lerner's commitment he wrote

'Randy has a tattoo of the AVFC crest on his ankle, how many other Villa fans can say THAT?'

As if that's all you have to do to be a dedicated Villa supporter.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
One thing I dont doubt is that he has genuine affection for the club and I really want it to work out for him.
But I think its all gone a bit tits up and he should probably look for a buyer or investment. He can still support and attend even if he doesn't own us.

Online nigel

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
I queried this talk on the Bimingham Mail forum.
I had this reply from a Villa fan in Saudi:
"Nigel, I have been following this after forevaavillan1 told me about it on the football transfer gossip column in January.

I have had a couple of sources tracking this over here in Saudi. The Qatari Investment Authority who is effectively the Qatari Royal Family are looking at purchasing a football club in England they also own Malaga and 70% of Marseille [from me, think it's PSG]. They also own Harrods.

Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Crown Prince of Qatar 1st Heir to the throne.

And there is a distinct possibility that he may look to acquire Villa. I will check with my sources again on Saturday to see if there are any new developments from this side."

Personnaly I don't really go into these rumours. I reckon this could be a case of Chinese Whispers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:27:43 PM by nigel »

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
Chinese Whispers is difficult if you're full of Qatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal