collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the fans expectations half the problem at Villa?  (Read 26411 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Is the fans expectations half the problem at Villa?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 10:08:12 PM »
I don't know really. I wouldn't be unduly worried if MON offered us their back 4 for hutton, dunne, collins and Warnock. In fact their last game was strangly reminscent of our oafs. Norwich are an unknown force really, but they've played together a while and thats another problem with us. We've had so many players coming in and out since MON left, there's no continuation or understanding built up

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »
Losing games and struggling in the league is one thing, waving the white flag before a match starts is just not acceptable in my book. It's not hard to see why Blues did the seemingly impossible last season and got relegated after looking as safe as houses, this time last year.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »
It was interesting to hear Paul Merson saying that the reason Villa, Albion and Wolves were so poor at home was because of the fans.

I wonder when was the last time Paul had to put his hand in his pocket and buy a ticket for a match?

That is something that really has been irritating me for a while (and I have ranted about this before here). It seems that journalists, ex-players and rival managers seem intent on demonizing supporters. Whilst I will concede that some supporters are idiots. These 'experts' always seem to think they know best about every club (in spite of barely watching any games), match and the motivations of supporters. Villa supporters are wrong to want rid of McLeish and they only dislike McLeish because he came from da Blues  being two such discourses.

We could see something similar around Sunderland and Steve Bruce. Bruce was doing a truly inept job and that has been illustrated by the way things have improved under a decent manager in pubehead. However, when he was sacked the old boys network closed ranks. Sunderland fans had unrealistic expectations they said. Bruce was an excellent manager. I recall various journalists and ex-players coming out with such things. I remember Ferguson complaining. I remember 5Live even had repeated managerial failure Steve McClaren commenting on how Bruce's two and a half seasons and countless millions were not enough time. It gives me the general impression that as far as these people are concerned supporters are morons, a mere inconvenience rather than the lifeblood of the game.  Either we do what they want or we are a problem.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
Agree Zogman, they just come out with the same trite comments and follow each other like sheep. Why have an opinion when they get paid for following the party line?
When it comes to a major issue they sit on the fence waiting to work out the status quo.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
It was interesting to hear Paul Merson saying that the reason Villa, Albion and Wolves were so poor at home was because of the fans.

I wonder when was the last time Paul had to put his hand in his pocket and buy a ticket for a match?

That is something that really has been irritating me for a while (and I have ranted about this before here). It seems that journalists, ex-players and rival managers seem intent on demonizing supporters. Whilst I will concede that some supporters are idiots. These 'experts' always seem to think they know best about every club (in spite of barely watching any games), match and the motivations of supporters. Villa supporters are wrong to want rid of McLeish and they only dislike McLeish because he came from da Blues  being two such discourses.

We could see something similar around Sunderland and Steve Bruce. Bruce was doing a truly inept job and that has been illustrated by the way things have improved under a decent manager in pubehead. However, when he was sacked the old boys network closed ranks. Sunderland fans had unrealistic expectations they said. Bruce was an excellent manager. I recall various journalists and ex-players coming out with such things. I remember Ferguson complaining. I remember 5Live even had repeated managerial failure Steve McClaren commenting on how Bruce's two and a half seasons and countless millions were not enough time. It gives me the general impression that as far as these people are concerned supporters are morons, a mere inconvenience rather than the lifeblood of the game.  Either we do what they want or we are a problem.

Nearly all pundits are so superficial in their comments. They read a few papers and watch skysports news and they then think they know what is going on at the club they have to talk about. wouldnt it be great if a random fan was allowed on MOTD  or Soccer Saturday to give their perspective

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
6th-10th and playing much better football than we currently do. And looking there is something approaching a longterm plan in place rather than looking like we are just stumbling around in the dark with no idea what the next step should be.

see that does surprise me because we finished 9th with Houllier but he had Young, Downing NRC etc.. to call on. and yet you think the lowest we should finish is one place lower than last season and possibly 3 places higher?

Yes. MON left 5 days before the season, GH came in when the window was shut. We had the worst injury run i've ever known. There are 3 players gone from last season that I remotely give a shit aren't at VP.

AM had a full preseason. Everyone else bar Citeh and possibly Spurs and Newcastle are worse than last season.

As for 6th place. Do you think our squad should be 14 points and 9 places worse than current 6th place side Newcastle?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
One of the things I like about Merson is that he tells it as it is and if a game he is covering is dull, he will say so. Its a bit rich criticising others for doing the same.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
Zogman, what you say is the absolute truth, every word.   Could not agree more.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
We came 9th last season and the consensus was that we hadn't done well enough. Yes, we hovered above the relegation places and jumped four or five places on the last day but we ended up where we deserved and people on the whole, still wanted GHou out. After losing Young and to a lesser extent Downing and NRC  but gaining a manager with a reputation for building good defences and having a full season of Bent's goals with a rejuvenated Gabby and an exciting talent in N'Zogbia, I would have expected parity or thereabouts this season (8th-12th).

To be 15th having won 6 games all season is pretty woeful and below even most pessimistic expectations.

The most galling thing is that had we been a bit cuter in the transfer market, like Newcastle, regardless of Young and Downing's defections we could have taken advantage of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool's dodgy seasons. Since our last shot at the top four two seasons ago people have said we'll never get the chance again. Had O'Neill not left and all the subsequent turmoil that followed, this year would have been as good a chance as any for us to capitalise.

For fuck sake Newcastle aren't far off a Champions League place. This time last year they had lost their best player, Andy Carroll, followed soon after by their two other best ones, Nolan and Barton and their fans couldn't believe they had been lumbered with Pardew.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
Fans expectations are not a problem at all at Villa. We're not having a go because we're having a poor season, it's that we all feel we're having a poor season but the men in charge of everything seem satisfied with the way it's going and will continue to go. Having a look at the comments of Arsenal fans when they went two down against Spuds today is an example of out-of-control fan expectation - they haven't finished outside the top four for fifteen years, play the likes of Barcelona and Milan regularly and see sublime football every week, but all they can bang on about is not spending any cash. To me, that's utterly delusional.

By rights, Villa fans should be incandescent with rage at the end of most games we play. As it is, I think the club is getting one hell of an easy ride.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
6 games won that is not even one a month.  no wonder i am so bloody down
 :-\

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »
I don't think we should pay too much attention to Merson. He probably does most of his talking through the bottom of a glass. It really annoys me when lazy talking heads bang on about Villa fans being unrealistic. Most of us don't expect CL football. We do expect an occasional cup and top 6 finish though.... and what's wrong with that? With 40,000+ regular gates (not this year admittedly) and the revenue that goes through the club why shouldn't we? It's not like we're saying we won stuff 100 years ago so we have right to win stuff now. We've been pretty much in the top 8 of the PL since it started, so yes, we might be entitled to expect that to continue. What they really mean is that we're not from London, Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool so we should know our place. Well fuck them.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
We got rid of the messiah who got 3 top 6 finishes, a LC Final and FA Cup Semi
We sold our best players and have done for the last 3 seasons
We hire a  manager but dont like him because he managed the other lot.
The atmosphere at Villa Park is awful because of the above.

Its not too difficult to see how we get charecterised.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
Yes but the fans didn't cause the above. We just react to it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:17 PM »
Messiah? I hope you are taking piss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal