collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Striker Situation  (Read 20086 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: The Striker Situation
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
With Weimann scoring and looking like he's making his way into McLeish's first team plans, do we think that this could mean the end of the road at Villa for Delfouneso? He hasn't pushed on much. I have a feeling he'll be off in the summer.

I think the Fonz is one his way regardless of what Weimann does.
Agreed. Not quite got it for the Premiership, IMHO.

But never really given a chance in his natural position with an experienced player alongside him to help him develop.

The upper half of the PL is hard on young players unless you are real top quality as managers will not risk bringing in young forwards but rather play safety first with a known quantity.

The PL is of such a standard that it is stifling the development of young British talent.
Know what you mean and cannot disagree.
However, I also agreed with John M'Zog because I think the Fonz will go in the summer, come what may.
And I'd add that his loan-outs have been less than impressive - I'm thinking particularly of the time he had at Burnley where he was given pitch-time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:28:32 PM by EffDee »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
If the Fonz goes I'd like to see us be a bit creative with the deal. 

I reckon we'd be talking a about 3m in the current market which is not a huge amount in the greater scheme of things.  Therefore I'd prefer to see a fee of something like 2m but with options to buy him back (a la that guy Chelsea bought from Barca) or a large % of any future fees.

Ultimately the guy desperately needs playing time whether it is with us or someone else.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
If the Fonz goes I'd like to see us be a bit creative with the deal. 

I reckon we'd be talking a about 3m in the current market which is not a huge amount in the greater scheme of things.  Therefore I'd prefer to see a fee of something like 2m but with options to buy him back (a la that guy Chelsea bought from Barca) or a large % of any future fees.

I think that a full 12 month loan in the championship would give him a make or break opportunity. Then we could decide with a lot more certainty whether to bring him back or move him on.

Ultimately the guy desperately needs playing time whether it is with us or someone else.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:59 AM »
i never got the feeing that Fonz wanted it badly enough,

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »
Even with the youth / reserves, I think the Fonz thought he had done it all. Maybe he will get a second wind. I don't expect he will be here much longer unless he really gets his game going quickly.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:44 AM »
i never got the feeing that Fonz wanted it badly enough,

Same as. I mean, he's been hovering around the outskirts of the team for the guts of four years now and hasn't just got the bit between his teeth and forced himself in on a more regular basis.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
And I'd add that his loan-outs have been less than impressive - I'm thinking particularly of the time he had at Burnley where he was given pitch-time.

I think they played him wide at Burnley, which isn't his position.

However, if he isn't doing enough to justify a manager playing him in his preferred position, then that says a lot.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
It is getting more and more difficult for young players that play the central role to make the break through in the PL.  Many teams only play one up front and managers will not take the chance on a young player to lead the line.

What usually happens is that they get played in the wide positions which doesn't suit some players.  If you look at Sturridge at Chelsea.  He has made the break through but he doesn't look as good out wide but will Chelsea play him as the central striker.  Likewise, Walcott at Arsenal.

For Delfouneso or Weimann, for that matter, to develop they need to play alongside somebody and not in a 4-5-1 formation.  Above all, they need a run of games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal