collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Striker Situation  (Read 20084 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: The Striker Situation
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
If i was AM i'd be wrapping Gabby up in cotton wool tonight because if Bent is out for any length of time we're one bad tackle or hamgstring pull from disaster. We've now got a choice between 2 kids and probably the least prolific striker in our history

Offline supertom

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
Gabby's goals from early season have dried up. He's been injured granted, which hasn't helped, and it seems for us that he and Bent can't both be in form at the same time, which is a pain in the ass.

He's got to come good again now. His dry spell, which he has year on year, has to end now and we need a purple patch because otherwise we'll get dragged into the mire.

Thing is, who's gonna get us the goals? Our midfielders don't score, and Heskey is Heskey. To say we're a bit toothless is an understatement.

I'd give Weimann a go. I know people keep bringing up Luke Moore, but in O Leary's final season, Luke actually did well for us in the last half of the season. Didn't he score something like 8 in 20 games, including his Boro hattrick? You could argue he helped keep us up. For all he hasn't lived up to that he had an impact then. Whether Weimann is the next big thing or the next forgotton memory, who knows, but lets give him a go. He could make a difference now, when we need it.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
Gabby looked very heavy legged at times yesterday which is understandable from being out, but he'd be my choice to play the lone striker role next week, with Marc and Zoggy on the flanks and 3 in the middle.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
Gabby is better than Bent as a lone striker for us. I'd pick the same fromt 4 as ozzjim, and would have all season.

Agree with this and Ozzjim. only downside is that the defence needs particularly to be on form with that lineup.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Gabby in a 4-5-1 with Weimann as impact / back-up.
God help us if the injury list grows more.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
So, with Bent being stretchered off, Gabby playing as a winger, The Fonz being out on loan, Keano leaving, and Heskey being Heskey, we seem to be a bit shit in the forward department.

Minor amendment made.

Give Weimann a go.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
Gabby in a 4-5-1 with Weimann as impact / back-up.
God help us if the injury list grows more.

The problem is we are very poor anyway, so at this stage any other injuries won't really make that much of a difference.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Many of our best performances in recent years have been with Gabby up front on his own. You don't want to give a promising youngster like Weidmann his chance in a side struggling to score goals in a relegation scrap.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »
Its a strange one that Ireland has been dropped since he looks like he's been in his best form since he joined us,hopefully he'll benefit from Keane's departure by being played further up top behind Gabby. Now Keane's gone,Ireland is our most intelligent player we have now,so he needs a run of games in that position.

Offline Boz

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
Its a strange one that Ireland has been dropped since he looks like he's been in his best form since he joined us,hopefully he'll benefit from Keane's departure by being played further up top behind Gabby. Now Keane's gone,Ireland is our most intelligent player we have now,so he needs a run of games in that position.

More likely our manager will persevere with Emile  >:(  and bring Ireland on when we're two down.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Gabby back up front where he belongs doing it for Villa, as he did season after season before someone decided to shell out 20+ML on a player that is actually at least no better, then coming to the mind splitting decision to put Gabby out to graze on the wings.

He did it for us season after season (mostly on his own) when we where contesting for European placing and Cup Finals and Semi Finals and consistent season after season 6th place, stands to reason only a friggin idiot would remove him from there and stick that player out on the wings, then spend 20ML.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
Weimann lacked a lot of composure when he came on at Wolves recently...he messed up one simple cross to Bent and then blazed high into the south bank when Bannan was coming into shoot.....so I'd rather see him as a sub than starter.

Gabby was poor yesterday but hopefully it's just him being rusty from not playing for a while so an extra week's training and he'll be sharper for Blackburn.

I'd go back to what we did at Chelsea, it seemed to work quite well there, with Gabby up top and Ireland behind him with N'zog and Albrighton wide.

Can see Heskey playing, in fairness Blackburn are so bad he usually scores against them. Scored at VP earlier this season and also the Carling cup semi,.

Offline Shoody

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 08:02:59 PM »

------Gardner--Petrov
Marc-------Ireland-----Nzogbia
-------------Gabby

Should be good enough to dispose of Blackburn and Bolton (*should* be). If Marc struggles you can swap it round and play

Nzogbia--Weimann--Gabby

as a front 3. I dont think 4-4-2 would work well as our 3-man midfield is fucking awful, dread to think what would happen in a 2 man midfield.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »

------Gardner--Petrov
Marc-------Ireland-----Nzogbia
-------------Gabby

Should be good enough to dispose of Blackburn and Bolton (*should* be). If Marc struggles you can swap it round and play

Nzogbia--Weimann--Gabby

as a front 3. I dont think 4-4-2 would work well as our 3-man midfield is fucking awful, dread to think what would happen in a 2 man midfield.

I would play 5 straight across the middle, we need midfield and we need to get bodies in there, on top of that I would press the 2 backs to get forward at every chance, feed Gabby enough chances and it won't take him long to sink Blackburn, crowd out the midfield and double up in the wide area's, the kind of style that Young and Downing enjoyed for ages, with Gabby tying up 2 of there CB's and leaving them for dead at every opportunity.

IMO, do that and you take pressure of us at the back, focus then on getting goals, that would be nice.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
Could be a blessing in disguise really, because with the way McClueless sets the team up, Bent gets sod all service and is wasted.

Gabby will be far more effective up top on his own than stuck out on the wing, and if Zog, Ireland and Marco can give him some support, he'll bag a few goals.

I'd rather wait until we're mathematically safe before giving Weimann a run of starts, promosing though he may be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal