collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martinez 'Decision to not join Villa was the right one.'  (Read 6514 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Martinez 'Decision to not join Villa was the right one.'
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »
i argued long and hard for Martinez when it looked like we were interested, i felt he needed a bigger challenge and Villa would have been a good move for both sides,

so i like the guy, and i like his style, but would still question his decision not to at least hold talks, it does lack ambition to my mind, he might not have had much money but certainly more than hes got at Wigan, and if he's chosen to stay there because its to much of a risk to move to Villa then thats lack of ambition,

you have got to back yourself if you think your any good, plus the fact that really good managers build teams, bring on youth players and generaly regenerate a clubs playing side from top to bottom, its not all about money, i thought he had the necesary qualities to do that sort of job at VP, but he obviously didnt

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
You have to applaud his loyalty to Whelan mind.

He seems like an honest guy who would do well at Villa and could get us playing more attractive football.

That said, his stock must have fallen this season ( as fickle as football is) so it's very difficult to tell if he would have been good for us or not, and I guess we'll never know now !

Move on I say ...

Offline LamBeast

• GM : Apr, 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
We know Tim.Billy McNeill without the class! 8)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
In three years time Martinez will be in a better job than McLeish.   The Spaniard was playing the long game.

Not sure Brian.

He tries to play good football - and succeeds at times. 

But their backline regularly looks like a soft touch. And pretty much always has the whole time he's been manager.  Lack of finances plays it's part, of course. But part of the job requirement at that level is surely sourcing good young up and coming players for minimal fees.  He's found them for other positions, but rarely at the back.  He also spent £9 million on Boselli and got a minimal return from him. 

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
Had we swapped managers today what would have been the result?  The football Wigan tried to play with frankly our technically better players would have been decent at least.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
I think he'd have done o.k here, not top 6 but we'd be more comfortable top half, after all we're only presently 4 points off those football gods of Sunderland in 9th.

We do have a lot of technically gifted players in midfield, if an anti-football muppet like McLeish can coax some decent games from Ireland, I'm sure Martinez would've made him a central part of the team, same for Bannan.

And we'd certainly seen some better games from N'zogbia.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal