collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish demands more from N'Zogbia  (Read 9070 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
McLeish demands more from N'Zogbia
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
sportinglife.com

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish has challenged winger Charles N'Zogbia to start producing the form he showed for former club Wigan on a consistent basis ahead of Saturday's clash at the DW Stadium.

McLeish splashed out £9 million on N'Zogbia last summer and has seen only flashes of the inspirational play which helped to keep the Latics in the Barclays Premier League.

But the Villa manager insists N'Zogbia is not unique in taking time to settle at a new club.

McLeish said: "I've been up there many times playing Wigan in the past with my team before and Charles was one of the differences.

"At the end of last season for Wigan, I thought he was the guy that made the difference.

"If he can bring that form to us on a really consistent level, then Charles is going to make a name (for himself) at Aston Villa."

McLeish added: "Charles has been slow to settle but you only have to look at other examples up and down the country.

"Why has Andy Carroll been slow to settle at Liverpool. Why has Stewart Downing been slow to settle there? You are talking about two great players.

"It is just one of the mysteries of football. You tend to think when you get an English player, or a player who has been playing in England, that they will hit the ground running.

"But sometimes they need time to settle in so I don't think it is unique to Charles.

"Charles has shown us some great moments and hopefully there will be a few more from now until the end of the season."

McLeish is hoping striker Gabriel Agbonlahor will also make an impact on his return after missing the last three games with a hamstring injury.

He said: "We are no different to any other team in the country in that, if you are missing your top players, it can be a big miss.

"Gabby is one of the top players at this club and is feared throughout the Premier League.

"He is always a threat because of his pace and the way he imposes himself on a game. If he imposes himself, every player in the country would be frightened of him."

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: McLeish demands more from N'Zogbia
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
Maybe play him instead of Heskey Alex?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Maybe play him instead of Heskey Alex?
Ignore the heretic Alex.
Stick with your tried and tested method of avoiding defeat in a mind numbingly boring way.

Offline Compass

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
Shouldn't he demand more from our weakest link - the defence? Also, the last two games N'Zogbia started he got a goal and a assist. What the hell is McLeish smoking? Would he rather be Heskey where's putting his body about, but doing fuck all worthwhile?

No Alex, we demand more from you.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
Shouldn't he demand more from our weakest link - the defence? Also, the last two games N'Zogbia started he got a goal and a assist. What the hell is McLeish smoking? Would he rather be Heskey where's putting his body about, but doing fuck all worthwhile?

No Alex, we demand more from you.

I have not the slightest doubt that AM is responding to a question posed by a journo working the obvious angle of Zog playing against his former club. No need to get the vapours with regard to this one.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Shouldn't he demand more from our weakest link - the defence?

Try reading his interview from earlier in the week.

Gabby's return is key but he needs to get into the box more if he's playing out wide. It's so frustrating to see him standing at the edge of the box when the ball is coming in from the other side. Great player that he is, he can still contibute more playing out wide.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »
I think because N'Zogbia was his big summer signing he takes his performances a bit more personally than anyone elses. He has given him a couple of public kicks up the backside while others have not had that treatment.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »
I have not the slightest doubt that AM is responding to a question posed by a journo working the obvious angle of Zog playing against his former club. No need to get the vapours with regard to this one.

Hang on, didn't Heskey used to play for Wigan? - maybe if we played him tomorrow against his old club he too will raise his game ...

Just a thought! ;)

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »

Hang on, didn't Heskey used to play for Wigan? - maybe if we played him tomorrow against his old club he too will raise his game ...

Just a thought! ;)

Nah, he was crap for Wigan as well.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
I think NZog is quite within his rights to demand more from McLeish.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:54:19 PM by Jimmy Smash »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
All McLeish's utterances of late seem to be public expressions of a defence of his position with his employers.   These comments about N'Zogbia are really the rebuttal of the charge "we gave you money for players and you wasted it".   Similarly the hard luck theme of Dunne's injury is in reality a defence against   "you were supposed to deliver a tight defence but your teams have been conceding two goals a game".   The statement that the crowd were great at the City game when the place was like a morgue is an answer to the charge "the gates are in free fall".   Expect statements about Hutton maturing into a top class full back and Jenas's injury being a terrible setback.

He is behaving like a manager who knows he has incurred the wrath of his employers and is attempting to shore up his position publicly.

If we lose at Wigan I would not be at all surprised to see him sacked.   He is very very twitchy.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »
If we lose at Wigan I would not be at all surprised to see him sacked.   He is very very twitchy.

We live in hope, not to lose of course but every cloud....

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »
Sorry Brian, but I don't see Randy sacking McLeish in the middle of the season (nor should he). I think AM is more confident of support from his employers than from the fans and players.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
I'd be very surprised if he isn't here this time next year, and if he goes before the summer I'll eat my hat.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
All McLeish's utterances of late seem to be public expressions of a defence of his position with his employers.   These comments about N'Zogbia are really the rebuttal of the charge "we gave you money for players and you wasted it".   Similarly the hard luck theme of Dunne's injury is in reality a defence against   "you were supposed to deliver a tight defence but your teams have been conceding two goals a game".   The statement that the crowd were great at the City game when the place was like a morgue is an answer to the charge "the gates are in free fall".   Expect statements about Hutton maturing into a top class full back and Jenas's injury being a terrible setback.

He is behaving like a manager who knows he has incurred the wrath of his employers and is attempting to shore up his position publicly.

Spot on, I think this recent visit to the Americas and Mr Lerner was a summoning alongside other things, my bet is AM is on a game by game warning of the chop and he's gone into defensive mode, point is if we lost to Wigan how the hell could he keep his job...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal