collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brian Little set to be new manager at Sligo Rovers  (Read 19990 times)

Offline VillaSpen

Re: Brian Little set to be new manager at Sligo Rovers
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
I hope it won't be too expensive to buy out his new contract in the summer.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
He may take up Surfing to keep fit. Sligo is the surfing centre of Ireland, with astonishing waves coming off the Atlantic.
http://www.surfsligo.com/ 
http://www.surfworld.ie/

dead trendoi!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
Good luck Brian.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
I remember my mate, who has never suffered from subtlety issues, relating the news about Brian's demise through the medium of an old Glitter Band tune: 'Hey! Rock 'n' Roll! Little's on the Dole!!'

Good, eh?

Offline simon_spellman

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
Well just to update on the latest, Brian didnt get the gig, Ian Baraclough did ( former Scunthorpe manager), dont know much about him, but ill be keeping my finger crossed that he can do as well as Paul Cook did over the last 5 years!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 12:21:51 AM »
Baraclough? Mean, moody, magnificent.

Shame Brian didn't get it. I still don't have an Irish team to support. Except whoever's playing Rangers Linfield.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
I always wondered where it went wrong for Brian in management. To fail so comprehensively with practically every team since leaving Villa beggars belief - it's as if after losing the one job he always wanted, he couldn't really be arsed.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
Come back Brian

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
Come back Brian
Not for Blackburn away, after the last time.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2012, 05:50:33 PM »
I always wondered where it went wrong for Brian in management. To fail so comprehensively with practically every team since leaving Villa beggars belief - it's as if after losing the one job he always wanted, he couldn't really be arsed.

Brian had the dream team with himself, Alan Evans and John Gregory. Once Gregory left it all started to slowly fall apart.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »
That's dreadful, I can't believe it.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »

Brian had the dream team with himself, Alan Evans and John Gregory. Once Gregory left it all started to slowly fall apart.

Aye.

Someone said to me a while ago that when things started to go wrong (post Collywobbles signing)  Brian was too introspective and couldn't lift the players.  The senior players (Bosnich, Southgate and Yorke) weren't happy with the latitude given to Stan either, when he clearly wasn't pulling his weight and barely breaking a sweat on matchday.

Gregory was always the counterbalance, the cheeky chappy to Brian's more thoughtful approach, and as a partnership (or triumvirate with Evans)  it worked.  And was part of the reason why JG initially got such a good response from the players when he came back in 1998.

The sentimental part of me wouldn't mind seeing all three back fulfilling their original roles.  But football has moved on since then.  And I don't think JG's ego would take being no.2 to anyone now.  I'm not even sure they're still friends - According to JG's book things got a wee bit strained between him and Evans when he didn't keep the latter on when he was made manager in 1998.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »
But football has moved on since then.

It may have elsewhere but at Villa Park it's gone backwards, what with JG, Sir Graham MKII, DOL, MON, GH and now McCleish.
Looking at that list, it's about time we had a bit of luck with our management appointments.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal