collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Viagogo  (Read 9280 times)

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
Re: Viagogo
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »
I can't stand touts, if that's what they are. It's why I mainly listen to unpopular music, at least I'm guaranteed to actually get a ticket for a gig most of the time. In contrast to constantly refreshing an internet screen at 9am to be told that a concert has sold out in 8 seconds, while three hundred people instantly all put up their tickets for it at three times the price on ebay.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »
Internet ticket Agent buys and sells tickets at a profit, surprised people did not know this was a scam

True, but they specifically say hey don't sell themselves, and they're often getting allocations direct from promoters.
The thing is, unless the punter is really stupid, they must know that the chances of buting a ticket from a genuine cant go is most unlikely.

That's not the point. The promoters are releasing tickets to them for massive mark ups.

It's not about what the punter thinks, it is about what these agencies say they do, which doesn't tally with the actual truth.
Its a con, this stuff has been happening for ever, its just on line now, the buyer does have a choice, ie not pay the price, i hope someone does something but they wont  there is a Dispatches program in the pipe which will show up the practices of the Insolvency Profesion, they are still fighting court cases to get it released, i know some of the details, this will really make your blood boil

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
At least we can be proud that through partnership with Viagogo, Aston Villa are doing something to hit back at these touts, by burdening them with thousands of tickets they'll never shift in a month of Sundays.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
You sell them a junior seat. They give you a small percentage of the junior price, then sell it at adult price. They must be struggling this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
I think the message from the programme is don't bother buying any music tickets off them.

I've looked at a few comedy tickets on there and they're way over face value also.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
I watched it.  Disgusting, but I do strongly believe that anyone who wants a ticket for a Coldplay concert should be charged at least a grand simply for having no taste in music.

Offline Newquay_AVFC

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
I bought tickets for Bolton home as i am in brum that weekend. I have paid 56 quid for four upstairs in the Witton Lane. Now it's been moved i went on to see about relisting them, if i was to do that i would lose £16. So i will hold on to em and see what the new date for the game will be.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
It made me quite angry. I had no idea Coldplay were so popular.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
I think the message from the programme is don't bother buying any music tickets off them.

I've looked at a few comedy tickets on there and they're way over face value also.

O RLY?

Used this service a lot this season.

Someone in A1 in the Trinity sells their ticket for pretty much every home game for 20 quid so been buying that!

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
As bad as this looked on tele I don't think they will ever put a stop to it, just people are more organised and greedy. An event sells out you want a ticket but missed the boat you buy one off a tout but these days the touts are city traders in call centres rather than dodgy mancs in trackies out the back.

I think the Villa ticket exchange is an example of where it works, occasional visitors to VP can catch a good deal and season tickets holders can recoup some cash if they can't make the odd game. I would have no hesitation in using this service but that's the difference we're all Villa fans and the majority of us would have no desire to rip each other off and sell spares at face value or near to it.

For music its a different game - in their defence at least these are genuine tickets off promoters so you don't spank hundred quid and worry about getting turned away at the gate but the false market they're creating is still wrong to the point I just don't bother with these corrupt 9am internet carnivals anymore, it will change people will eventually realise £300 to see a band in Sunderland is not worth it, sellers will be left with loads of unwanted tickets and force the prices down.

Offline simon_spellman

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
I have used Viagogo in the past, no problems with it, got Upper Witton lane for £25, when they were on sale on the club website for £44, great value and service i will use again.
On the other point of Villa fans not ripping off other fans, i agree, i have sold extra tickets at Birmingham airport when my friends couldnt make the trip from Ireland, and i would never ask for more than the price on the ticket, i would be angry if someone charged me £60-£70 for a ticket and i would never tout tickets like that as fans deserve to be able to access tickets at face value as we are all here for the same reason UTV!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
I've only ever sold on VGG. Yes, we don't get the full value, but its better than nothing.

I use StubHub quite a bit for sporting events Stateside. However, on that service, you're dealing more with the original seller and they set there own price.

Last year I got a last minute ticket to a Boston Bruins playoff game for less than the box office were selling them.

I also use StubHub for tickets to New York Yankees games. I try not to give them money direct

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
I bought 27 tickets for The Prodigy at NIA from See Tickets , then went and bought another 2 and got banned .   they should sort these companies out and not worry about me .

27? I usually get limited to 6.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
I think the Villa tickets are quite cheap as outside of the Villa herd I doubt there is much call for them the way we are performing at the moment (I bet Viagogo regret doing the deal with us now).

I sell spare tickets on ebay simply because I go to a lot of gigs, and the tickets are sold sometimes 12 months in advance. So you don't actually know what you are doing when the gig arrives. Also, most venues have a no returns policy on any ticket purchases now.

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
I'd hope Villa reconsider using Viagogo as a "partner" business as their whole ethos can't be trusted after the programme. I've used Viagogo once to sell by season ticket seat - they made a £12 profit, which I think is excessive but it was convenience and I would only use it if desperate and would rather allow someone to use my ticket at a loss. Viagogo seem to struggle (surprise surprise) to sell tickets for most Villa Park games so you can be left with a ticket unsold in any case.

The programme was good undercover journalism which probably exposed the scamming going further than many suspected. I resented more the music promoters' attempts to justify what they did - basically it's OK for them to rip-off fans but not the black market.
There is a whole issue here of paying admin charges and OTT postal costs on top of prices for tickets for events. If I am the buyer, why should I pay the venue for answering the phone and dealing with me? Even more ridiculous for doing it yourself the internet when it's a computer programme.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal