collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Proud To Be A Villa Fan.  (Read 25068 times)

Offline The Left Side

Re: Proud To Be A Villa Fan.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »
Those colours, Claret and Blue, everytime I see them on anything Villa related gives me a warm tingle. Meeting someone for the first time and finding out we are Villa.

This, plus the fact that even though I am not happy with the Villa at the moment I still have to check the Villa news every chance I can get, and even though I moved away from the UK they are a huge part of my life and always will be.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:22 AM »
A plastic Manc watching his/her side lift the Premier League title in a pub in the Home Counties will never know the giddy ecstasy and excitement of being at a half full DW stadium with 4,000 like minded souls when Aston Villa score. Ever.

Offline trog

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »
hi folks newbie here.i think sometimes its born in to you .all my relations on my side of the family come from aston nan worked at ansells grandad at H.P. and from a early age i was taken down the villa.sitting on the bars of the old whitton end.1974 v the albion was my earliest memory we won two-one. i think.since then its been in my blood.had a season ticket in the eighties and remember eamon in that title winning year.so sad about learning of his passing on here. i still treasher a medal i purchased from the club shop with the championship winners names on and being served by sir brian little who was working in the club shop at the time.do not get the chance to go down now that often becouse i was made redundant.but A.V.F.C are forever etched in my heart.sorry for my ramblings guys and galls but thats how i feel and i cant comment about this seasons games not having seen them play.and remember it could be worse we could be blue noses.

Offline VillaBoy_23

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:42 AM »
Despite what often occurs on the pitch, there's plenty that I'm proud of the Villa for; mostly in our frequent and sincere attempts to aid local charities and to make differences in the community. Also, our proud History of being the fourth most successful club in English Football, and being 1 of 4 clubs to win the European Cup stands as something that to this day continues to keep me both upbeat and preserves my fiery passion for the Villa.

Perhaps stepping away from 'pride' and more towards my love of the Villa in general, I think it all stems from my relationship with my Father. My parents divorced when I was 5, and since then I have seen little of my Father, often being once a week during my late childhood but that seems to be decreasing less and less, as during my late teenage years I'll see him about once or twice a month - often being only when we go down to the Villa. So obviously, I have the Villa to thank for as it gives me a reason to see my Father, but also as due to the limited time I spent with him as I grew up, it became the sole thing we have in common, and I can honestly go out on a limb and say that if you took every conversation we've ever had, about 75% will be to do with the Villa, as the base of our fragile yet somewhat resilient relationship.

The Villa is a huge part of my life, and as I've said, has become a key tie in my family. I know it's a cliche; but players come and go, as do managers, but us - the fans who live perilously through thick and thing, our passion and loyalty is forever. The Villa are not in the best shape right now, and while I am but at what a lot of you would consider the tender age of 17, it warms my heart to say that nothing fills me with more emotion and passion, than standing in the Holte singing on the team that I love.

Fuck 'em, we're Aston Villa.

Such a scarily similar situation to my own relationship with my father (my parents also divorced when I was 5). Except for the part where he won't go down the Villa until McLeish is gone "because he's a blue nose bastard"!!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:28 AM »
Great to read my mate littlevillain is planning to come home to be nearer to our beloved Villa. Those of us who grew up on Chelmsley developed a siege mentality and the Villa is a bond between us that will last a lifetime.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
My love of Villa was never up for question, having come from an Aston born and bred family, but family history alone cannot seal your love of a club. However, when we father took me too my first match and I caught site of the Trinity Rd stand and with the claret and blue mosaic staring down at me, I was hooked. There is just something about Villa Park that is very special indeed. It’s the look of the ground, the setting next to Aston Park and the majesty of the Holte End that just sets it apart from anywhere else.
No matter what is happening at the moment, I still treasure the times I can get back to Villa Park, it’s like going home in every sense of the word and I still get that tingle of anticipation as I did when I was a season ticket holder.

The fact that we are not spoilt rotten by Arab money or success that diminishes the triumph, makes our successes even sweeter. Rotterdam aside, I still recall the sense of ecstasy after the two League Cup wins in the 90’s and I’m not afraid to admit to crying like a baby to Abide With Me in 2000 along with the rest of my football family, hell I even cheered on Deadly as he strode round Wembley to greet the fans.

My older son is now 9 years old, he lives in the shadow of Ajax and yet he’s a Villa fan. Why? Well of course, my influence has helped to shape him, but its more than that. Like me he’s transfixed by Villa Park and when we’re back in Blighty he loves to see it. He’s also transfixed by our long and rich history along with our colours. It makes me a happy father and I’m sure that along with the years of disappointment my son will also taste the sweet joy of success and enjoy seeing us walk out at Wembley, which just feels like a place where we belong.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Well done Ricky, I was thinking of posting that. Never tire of reading it, and it always brings a lump to my throat. The introduction to that quite brilliant book (The First 100 Years) is pretty special too. I was already in love with the Villa when I got that book, but reading it made me fall that little bit deeper, and helped me realise just what a unique and truly great club Aston Villa is, was and always will be.
Did you know Pongo's father-in-law was Frank Barson? What a family!
Yes - exactly. That was the first book I read about the Villa (in the times before Mr Woodhall's pen flourished) and it was magical!

Like NeilH, I'm prone to tears on occasions: Abide with me at the 2000 FAC final was one such occasion; the appearance of the Euro Cup winning side onto the pitch at the end of the 2006-07 season (25 years) was another such time.

My son's also a Villa fan despite being born and brought up in N Yorkshire. He is now coaching football in Mexico City but still our Skype conversations usually start and finish with the Villa.

I do believe the Villa are somewhat unique: there are stories in our history that other clubs simply cannot claim. It frustrates me that the club have failed to keep the story-telling going and have not taken their rightful place in the heritage of the game.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:16:44 AM by EffDee »

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »
Proud History and you never know sometime there will be a Bright Future.

Keep the faith peoples.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
Matt Kendrick has tweeted this thread. This thread makes me proud

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
Villa is a family thing for me, father and grandfather went so it goes back to the early 1900's but if anything was needed beyond that -

I went to a very small primary school, there were hardly enough boys to make up a football team but we had one and played against other schools. We got panned just about every time we played, sometimes double figures but we stuck at it and eventually we drew agains someone and then once we won. Anyway, one morning the headmaster announced that a scout from Aston Villa football club had been at one of our games and recommended that the boys in the football team should be invited to Villa park to be shown around. It was a misty winter morning in 1969 - we saw Willie Anderson in his tracksuit kicking a ball against a wall. The Holte looked unreal, I wanted to run away from home and live there.

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
Walking up to the Holte in the 70's and hearing the noise. Spine tingling stuff. Always proud of the Villa even in the 3rd Div.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
Rioch Is King, I too saw Villa Park on a school trip (to Aston Hall) around the same time as you. Awesome, and so different to the Sty which I had seen loads of times on the way to town. I suppose we must have had a Villa scout at our school games as well - how else would they have spotted a certain Mr G Shaw?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Christmas time. We might get a 130 odd Christmas cards as a family, loads of them from friends etc going back ages, often people you haven't even seen for years and, to be honest, maybe the only time you communicate with them during the whole year. They come from all over because, well, I have lived all over - Birmingham, Guildford, Harrogate, Peak District, Ayr, Torquay, Chichester. Maybe half will have a little update on family etc and they will always unfailingly ask 'how is Richard, still supporting the Villa?' or make some other comment, even if it is sometimes disparaging in a good natured sort of way. Even people who know absolutely nothing about football. I personally don't know anyone else who I think of in the same way as so tied in with their club and that always makes me feel a bit special.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »
Matt Kendrick has tweeted this thread. This thread makes me proud
Hmmm Mr Kendrick, the 'insider'... good stuff from him in the paper and twitter...

Offline Rob92

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
Growing up in an area full of Chelsea fans and that excellent moment when you bump into another Villa fan when out and about. I don't think I've ever walked past someone in a Villa shirt/coat and not struck up a conversation!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal