collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Proud To Be A Villa Fan.  (Read 24986 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Proud To Be A Villa Fan.
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
Leaving aside all the misery that appears to be going on at the moment.
What is it about our club that makes you proud to be a Villa fan?

For me Dave Woodhall summed it up in the Eammon Deacy thread when he said that down the years Aston Villa have had this innate ability to do the right thing. Nearly always in an understated way.
I think in recent years the one thing that really filled me with pride was when we decided to wear the name of Acorns on our shirts instead of going for a multi million pound sponsorship deal. I remember meeting fans of other clubs at that time and they were very impressed with our club taking that decision.
It's also the little things the club do that never get onto the back pages.
I remember going to a midweek match at The Den in 1974-5 and our coach had three of it's windows bricked after the game. We stopped at the first services on the M1 to try to get some cardboard to at least stop the wind getting in. As we stopped the team bus also pulled in alongside us and Mr. Saunders got off their bus first, he saw the smashed windows and came straight on board our coach to see if anyone was hurt, thankfully no one was. He said jokingly that we could take the team bus and the players could travel back on ours!! After patching up the windows we all went inside to get hot drinks  to find that anything we wanted was  already paid for. Whether Mr. Saunders or the club paid the bill we didn't know,  Only a small gesture but very much appreciated.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Proud To Be A Villa Fan.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
Just hearing the name is enough to do it for me.

Offline SX150

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
That was my first ever Villa game. Won 3-1 if I remember right, 2 for Little & 1 for Keith Leonard. Little chipping Brian King from distance I think for one. I was hooked after that night and proud to be a Villa fan since. A fantastic club full of history & tradition.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
That was my first ever Villa game. Won 3-1 if I remember right, 2 for Little & 1 for Keith Leonard. Little chipping Brian King from distance I think for one. I was hooked after that night and proud to be a Villa fan since. A fantastic club full of history & tradition.

Upholding a family tradition almost since the time the club was formed.

I was at that game, went with a Milwall supporting friend. Spoilt by by being told I was not to speak throughout the evening.  That tunnel at the old ground with neanderthal man waiting for you at the end was an eexperience to treasure - provided you lived through it.

Offline luke25

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »
This is probably a strange one but I always love watching our away fans celebrate when we score infront of them, on the way home from St Andrews when Gabby scored the late 0-1 winner, all I could think was I can't wait to see the celebrations on MOTD, Mellbergs header at the Emirates and Gabbys winner at Upton Park last season were great too, we always seem to be amongst the better celebrators (if thats a word) in the country, makes me proud to see what our goals mean to us.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
When I was a kid my mom used to say to me "I Love You, son. But at the minute I don't like you."

That sums up Aston Villa for me at the minute.

However, I'll always be proud to be a Villa fan. It'll always have that place that no woman or anyone else can hold. Despite the constant let downs.

I love you Aston Villa.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
So many memories; the camaraderie; being born and brought up 'behind enemy lines' in Shirley; having my father's cousin play for the club, albeit briefly; Little & Gray; the club's heritage; the tingle of anticipation on seeing VP once again (every time, even now); the A - V floodlights; countless away games in the 1970's in my friend's father's car ... I could go on (and on, and on ...)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:03:19 PM by EffDee »

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
Great thread. Sometimes (understandably) we get too close to it and wrapped up in the moment.
Perhaps it is time to reflect more on who we are rather than where we are at the moment.
We are Villa!

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:03 PM »
This is probably a strange one but I always love watching our away fans celebrate when we score infront of them, on the way home from St Andrews when Gabby scored the late 0-1 winner, all I could think was I can't wait to see the celebrations on MOTD, Mellbergs header at the Emirates and Gabbys winner at Upton Park last season were great too, we always seem to be amongst the better celebrators (if thats a word) in the country, makes me proud to see what our goals mean to us.

I like this as well. And being in the away end when we score is one of lifes pleasures. It's still good even in the seats, the 'sightless' joy of celebration, then looking around and seeing everyone else going barmy as well, the almost embarrassed smile at ones own immature pleasure followed by a Dellboy type shrug of getting back into self control.

I love footy, no I don't I love Villa

Offline Darlo Dave

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »
The pride I have following my local team, and the team that the vast majority of my family have supported, as far back as I can remember, is 1 million times better than supporting one of the teams that play in red, that tend to win. I've never understood how anyone could do it. Aston Villa is part of who I am. It's what I've always know.

In these times of games on TV constantly, and the current financial climate, I've not been to see them as much as I used to. Nothing beats going to the match though. That's probably when I feel most proud to be a Villa fan. You can keep watching Champions League games on TV, in the pub, while wearing your replica shirt, 100 plus miles away from where the game is actually being played. Give me being at a scrappy away victory, in some God forsaken Northern town, in a nothing game any day of the week.

Sure they give me a lot of heart ache. They make me swear. They frustrate me. They make me numb. They've brought me to tears on more than one occasion. When it's good though, my God it's good! It swells me with pride. No owner, manager or player can take that away from us. 

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
The pride I have following my local team, and the team that the vast majority of my family have supported, as far back as I can remember, is 1 million times better than supporting one of the teams that play in red, that tend to win. I've never understood how anyone could do it. Aston Villa is part of who I am. It's what I've always know.

In these times of games on TV constantly, and the current financial climate, I've not been to see them as much as I used to. Nothing beats going to the match though. That's probably when I feel most proud to be a Villa fan. You can keep watching Champions League games on TV, in the pub, while wearing your replica shirt, 100 plus miles away from where the game is actually being played. Give me being at a scrappy away victory, in some God forsaken Northern town, in a nothing game any day of the week.

Sure they give me a lot of heart ache. They make me swear. They frustrate me. They make me numb. They've brought me to tears on more than one occasion. When it's good though, my God it's good! It swells me with pride. No owner, manager or player can take that away from us. 

This!

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »
And lets not forget that we flipped Hitler the bird when everyone else was kissing his arse. it's that which makes me most proud of our club. Oh... and the classy stadium... Proud history... Consistently high attendances... knowledgable and articulate fans.... William McGregor... Acorns... Paul McGrath... etc etc

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
I am proud to be a Villa fan.  I always will have a love for the club that will out live any player or manager or owner, the only reason I will ever stop going 'down the Villa' will be financial ones.  However shit the football, however low we slip in the leagues I will always be there.
Sadly I am falling out of love with the game but never the Villa.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »
Everything.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »
Love it
Hope you do not mind have used the bottom paragraph as my signature
Will remove it if you want