collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 'Waste of a Club'  (Read 42106 times)

Online Billy Walker

Re: 'Waste of a Club'
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
"This is a club with the infrastructure, history and support to be a top six side in the Premiership."

We have the history, support and infrastructure to be a top one side.

I've come to the conclusion that we have just been rather unlucky over the years with our owners.  For whatever reason, we seem to attract undynamic, financially limited, mid ranking business people to our boardroom - and this seems to have been our lot since the end of WWII.  Why is that?  Where are the genuine, blue chip winners who want to restore Aston Villa to the highest seat in the land?

The thing is, we're such a great club that when these mid-level business folk somehow get control of the club they genuinely can't believe how lucky they are.  It's like the dweeb who pulls the babe at the formal.  Once they "have" Villa they can't contemplate letting it go.  They've lucked out big time and this football club is a trophy and a half to have.  It's a pattern of events that always ends with much pain and frustration all round, alas.  The fact that we have no real major media presence in Brum to heap pressure on such owners and their lack of credentials and ambitions does not help us either.

A good read, that article.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
"This is a club with the infrastructure, history and support to be a top six side in the Premiership."

One league title in 99 years. One FA Cup in 92. One European trophy ever. Oh yes, the support. How often in that time have we been in the top six  best-supported teams in the country? That's the reality.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
Fair comment Dave but there are people who think Small heath or Leeds are 'top' clubs. The reality is-any of the current contenders could change places with the fading clubs with the same kind of mismanagement and poor ownership.
Manure's rise really began with Martin Edwards and not the loads-a money of a rich benefactor.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
Fair comment Dave but there are people who think Small heath or Leeds are 'top' clubs. The reality is-any of the current contenders could change places with the fading clubs with the same kind of mismanagement and poor ownership.
Manure's rise really began with Martin Edwards and not the loads-a money of a rich benefactor.

Rupert Murdoch.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

One league title in 99 years. One FA Cup in 92. One European trophy ever. Oh yes, the support. How often in that time have we been in the top six  best-supported teams in the country? That's the reality.

True, but I'd argue winning a trophy pretty much every decade of our existence, finishing in the top two seventeen times, winning every domestic trophy in the land multiple times, winning the biggest club trophy in world football and residing in a city about the same size as a Munich or Milan suggests we have the pedigree, potential and everything else to be challenging for the top, top prizes.  And, of course, we gave league football to the world - we are wrapped up in the fabric of the game like no other modern club.

The reality is that compared to clubs that have won more FA Cups and leagues this past century, we have had absolute duffers in the Chairman's chair.  Well meaning and likeable, for sure, but duffers nonetheless.  There has been no bank-rolling of trophies, no record transfer fees shelled out, no statements of ambition or intent.  Our Chairmen simply haven't been up to the job.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:05:24 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »

Against that:

-Most successful club in English football up until the 1970's
-Record FA Cup wins up until 1991
-Provided more England internationals than any other club
-Still the 4th most successful club in English football

And as far as gates are concerned, we had the highest gate in the country over a season as recently as  1994 and 1995.  We also managed 40,000+ in the old Third division and 48000 v Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1988 - as a Second Division side.

With a bit of forward momentum (and no trophies)  we averaged 40,000 as recently as 07/08. 

Probably no other 'big' club sees numbers fluctuate as much as we do, I'd readily concede that.  But we can get the numbers.   It's keeping them that's the issue.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

Against that:

-Most successful club in English football up until the 1970's
-Record FA Cup wins up until 1991
-Provided more England internationals than any other club
-Still the 4th most successful club in English football

And as far as gates are concerned, we had the highest gate in the country over a season as recently as  1994 and 1995.  We also managed 40,000+ in the old Third division and 48000 v Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1988 - as a Second Division side.

With a bit of forward momentum (and no trophies)  we averaged 40,000 as recently as 07/08. 

Probably no other 'big' club sees numbers fluctuate as much as we do, I'd readily concede that.  But we can get the numbers.   It's keeping them that's the issue.

Good viewpoint Mr Gage.
Also, apart from Everton had highest number of seasons in the top level of English football.

Offline eastie

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
Some fair comments there and yes he's correct about our potential. But until the club rediscovers it's purpose and drive that's all it will be. Potential. I might be in the minority here but the way that the club is being run at the moment makes me look back on the Ellis years with a certain sense of fondness. At least he attended all the games, and although he made some bad managerial appointments ala Turner, McNeil and Venglos he would never have been dumb enough to appoint the current clown from S.H.A. Anyway reading further down the article he then goes on to slate our fine city. Now I've been to London many times but the cockneys seam to think it's some kind of oasis in a sea of shit. Yes the central area is interesting but by god there's some areas that are literally no go zones. I currently now live in Greater Manchester and yes the city centre is nice but the rest of the place is pretty dire to be honest, and the same applies to Liverpool. So why is it only Brum seems to get slated?

True doug made some bad mistakes during his reign , but at least he had the balls to admit to his mistakes and fire the manager he had appointed if need be, i doubt lerner will do the same and fear we will stumble from crisis to crisis under his and faulkners so called leadership.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

And yet there are some on here who still think MO'N underachieved.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
Some fair comments there and yes he's correct about our potential. But until the club rediscovers it's purpose and drive that's all it will be. Potential. I might be in the minority here but the way that the club is being run at the moment makes me look back on the Ellis years with a certain sense of fondness. At least he attended all the games, and although he made some bad managerial appointments ala Turner, McNeil and Venglos he would never have been dumb enough to appoint the current clown from S.H.A. Anyway reading further down the article he then goes on to slate our fine city. Now I've been to London many times but the cockneys seam to think it's some kind of oasis in a sea of shit. Yes the central area is interesting but by god there's some areas that are literally no go zones. I currently now live in Greater Manchester and yes the city centre is nice but the rest of the place is pretty dire to be honest, and the same applies to Liverpool. So why is it only Brum seems to get slated?

True doug made some bad mistakes during his reign , but at least he had the balls to admit to his mistakes and fire the manager he had appointed if need be, i doubt lerner will do the same and fear we will stumble from crisis to crisis under his and faulkners so called leadership.

Doug admit his mistakes - when was that then, I think I missed it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

I was browsing through your 'Champions' book this morning to re-read the chapter on Eamonn Deacy and in your preface you called us ''the richest story in football history''.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »

True, but I'd argue winning a trophy pretty much every decade of our existence, finishing in the top two seventeen times, winning every domestic trophy in the land multiple times, winning the biggest club trophy in world football and residing in a city about the same size as a Munich or Milan suggests we have the pedigree, potential and everything else to be challenging for the top, top prizes.  And, of course, we gave league football to the world - we are wrapped up in the fabric of the game like no other modern club.

The reality is that compared to clubs that have won more FA Cups and leagues this past century, we have had absolute duffers in the Chairman's chair.  Well meaning and likeable, for sure, but duffers nonetheless.  There has been no bank-rolling of trophies, no record transfer fees shelled out, no statements of ambition or intent.  Our Chairmen simply haven't been up to the job.

All these things might mean a lot to us but to everyone else they mean as much as the Wanderers' FA Cup wins in the 1870s. Birmingham's as big as Milan? So what? By that token the best team in Mexico City should be in the World Club Championship every year. We're a midranking club who some seasons do better than in others. There are many clubs who can say the same.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »

I was browsing through your 'Champions' book this morning to re-read the chapter on Eamonn Deacy and in your preface you called us ''the richest story in football history''.

History being the word.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I have always been very pro Lerner and to a very large degree I still am.   However, I think Villa's drift and Randy Lerner's drift further and further into the background are the same thing.

The one thing Lerner has not done which was very much in his power to do is give us a board with football balls.   The recent landscape of the club is dominated by bad board decisions.

If I had it in my power to change just one thing which has happened at Villa Park since O'Neill walked out it would be to have the board stand up to O'Neill and tell the club's side of the story.

It makes me curl up with anger, with disgust, with shame, and with embarassment on days like yesterday when Martin O'Neill is able to strut the stage of British football as a superhero endowed with divine talents somewhere between a latter day Joan of Arc and Galahad whose heart was pure.

I accept that a defeat at a tribunal may well have been on the cards but some fights you have to fight regardless of the odds.   You have to tell it how it is, not shuffle off down Spin Alley.

The sun went behind a cloud over Villa Park not the day that O'Neill walked or the day that Stoke equalized or the day Houllier's heart missed a beat or the day Randy Lerner flew to Corsica.   It was the day we decided that O'Neill's claims for wrongful dismissal should not be contested.   From that day onwards the legend that without Messiah Martin we are nothing has spread like a malignant fungus.

Any chance of a rebirth for the club was stillborn with the appointment of a manager who preferred to be linked with Liverpool followed by a manager who came with more baggage than Ryanair.

I hope that the the rediscovery of ourselves is not in the Championship but I cannot see any other wake up call being loud enough to wake the sleepwalker.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
I have always been very pro Lerner and to a very large degree I still am.   However, I think Villa's drift and Randy Lerner's drift further and further into the background are the same thing.

The one thing Lerner has not done which was very much in his power to do is give us a board with football balls.   The recent landscape of the club is dominated by bad board decisions.

If I had it in my power to change just one thing which has happened at Villa Park since O'Neill walked out it would be to have the board stand up to O'Neill and tell the club's side of the story.

It makes me curl up with anger, with disgust, with shame, and with embarassment on days like yesterday when Martin O'Neill is able to strut the stage of British football as a superhero endowed with divine talents somewhere between a latter day Joan of Arc and Galahad whose heart was pure.

I accept that a defeat at a tribunal may well have been on the cards but some fights you have to fight regardless of the odds.   You have to tell it how it is, not shuffle off down Spin Alley.

The sun went behind a cloud over Villa Park not the day that O'Neill walked or the day that Stoke equalized or the day Houllier's heart missed a beat or the day Randy Lerner flew to Corsica.   It was the day we decided that O'Neill's claims for wrongful dismissal should not be contested.   From that day onwards the legend that without Messiah Martin we are nothing has spread like a malignant fungus.

Any chance of a rebirth for the club was stillborn with the appointment of a manager who preferred to be linked with Liverpool followed by a manager who came with more baggage than Ryanair.

I hope that the the rediscovery of ourselves is not in the Championship but I cannot see any other wake up call being loud enough to wake the sleepwalker.

This.  Well said Brian.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal