collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 'Waste of a Club'  (Read 42302 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: 'Waste of a Club'
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
So far he's done nothing more for them than John Gregory did for us, and the similarity doesn't end there.
Care to expand?

They both had plenty of money available, both had a transfer record best described as mixed, both played crap football, left in circumstances that suited them rather than the club and had a hold over some of our supporters that I couldn't understand then and still can't.

John Gregory had a hold over some of our supporters? Really? I don't ever remember that, even when we were top of the league. Everyone I have ever spoken to has never held Gregory in high regard - it was clear we were never actually that good under him (when we were flying high, the team was just playing on confidence (if only they could now!!!)).

To compare Gregory and MON is ridiculous. One flourished with a half-decent team handed to him and then it went downhill quickly, whilst playing shocking football and went because we were shit. The other was consistently good when handed a fairly crap team, whilst playing, at times poor football, but at other times entertaining, if not "total", football and left because he did not want to sell our (possible) best player, Milner (and did not want Ireland (and we've all seen why)).

Under one manager I expected nothing, under the other I went into every match believing we could win. Since I've been going (1995), I've never experienced that under any other manager. It's something I thoroughly enjoyed, even though it may not have turned out how we would've liked it to in the end.

There was enough protest when he left, and for years supporters would defend him, usually based around the 'top at Christmas' line so yes, Gregory did have a hold over some. I would also from memory guess that he had as good a record against the top four as the Blessed Martin and their league records weren't too different despite the much worse conditions Gregory had to work under. Your stated reason why O'Neill left doesn't stack up with the facts either, although you may know something none of us do.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
The most recent totally unsubstantiated rumour why  O'Neill flounced came to me from my son who got it from a London taxi driver who said he had a very big name tabloid football journalist in his cab at flounce time and he said it was because O'Neill had agreed terms for Scott Parker and Randy would not divvy up the money for him until the dead wood was shifted.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
I actually think that's at the very least partly correct. The poison dwarf wanted someone but Mr. Lerner, Sir would not part with the funds until the wage bill for the deadwood was reduced.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »
now all the sons of those guys that used to travel to support the Villa are wondering around in Manure Chelsea Citeh shirts.

I don't know any that are. If only we could give all those sons a taste of those great days.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »
I think the reason for the O'Neill / Lerner split is that the money ran out.

Lerner said 'I cant afford it'

and like the faithful partner he is MON left him. Its not something you'd generally be happy about if your wife did it.

and now Lerner is casting about with a couple of short unsuccessful relationships with mingers, but deep down he knows it will never be the same again, and he cant really be bothered.

Offline Summers

« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
I actually think that's at the very least partly correct. The poison dwarf wanted someone but Mr. Lerner, Sir would not part with the funds until the wage bill for the deadwood was reduced.

Rightfully so.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
now all the sons of those guys that used to travel to support the Villa are wondering around in Manure Chelsea Citeh shirts.

I don't know any that are. If only we could give all those sons a taste of those great days.

Mine isn't

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal