collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Flip Flop  (Read 10449 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Flip Flop
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
I have only resurrected this thread because the Blackburn game was the clearest example yet of the schizophrenia which seems to be gripping our players.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
The plus point for me yesterday was the non appearance of Ivanhoe which meant I was able to stay in the ground the whole 94 minutes !! :)

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
Very true. It defies belief that the same team came out and did totally the opposite of the first half. Why can't we play well for 90 mins? Is it lack of stamina/fitness, poor coaching/tactics or complete lack of confidence in each other and as soon as we come under pressure they all shit themselves waiting for us to concede.

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
Very true. It defies belief that the same team came out and did totally the opposite of the first half. Why can't we play well for 90 mins? Is it lack of stamina/fitness, poor coaching/tactics or complete lack of confidence in each other and as soon as we come under pressure they all shit themselves waiting for us to concede.

Maybe we lack a decent leader on the pitch? Petrov gives his all (as much as he can at his age) but I don't think the players take any notice of him as a captain. I think the kids need direction and the whole team needs to keep on attacking rather than sitting back and defending because it'll always go wrong.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

Maybe we lack a decent leader on the pitch? Petrov gives his all (as much as he can at his age) but I don't think the players take any notice of him as a captain. I think the kids need direction and the whole team needs to keep on attacking rather than sitting back and defending because it'll always go wrong.

The opposition manager changed his team around - we did not have the nous on the pitch or the managerial tactics to respond...

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
As another poster astutely observed recently, you just cannot see this side putting a run together. We are capable of beating anyone on our day, if everything clicks, but no way in hell will that be carried on to the next game.

When a player on a very short term loan becomes the clear leader on the pitch, then something is wrong.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
I have only resurrected this thread because the Blackburn game was the clearest example yet of the schizophrenia which seems to be gripping our players.
I don't recall a season where our players have frozen so often. You are there watching the game and can see it slowly happening. At that point you would like to stop the game and bang all their heads together. Yesterday was bizarre. Despite all the post match hysteria, we looked good until half time. Then it happened.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
Many teams flip flop for a variety of reason.  A good manager is there to stop this. He doesnt seem to stop this.  Just when we have a couple of flip games he goes and picks a team that's makes you shudder.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
I could just imagine AM saying at half time that we were pushing too many players into forward areas and leaving gaps in midfield together with wanting two banks of four when they had the ball.  With a number of 'confidence' players in the team, an aggressive approach to instructions at half time could have had the players going back into their shell.

Having done quite well in the 1st half when we were putting pressure on their weak areas we reverted to looking at what the opposition were doing rather them looking at what we were doing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal