collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tommy Mooney on the Villa coaching staff  (Read 15915 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Tommy Mooney on the Villa coaching staff
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 06:01:54 PM »
Sheesh, I only wanted to communicate the fact he'd been hired. I've heard him on a lot of phone ins and he seemed a bit of knob. Compared to some of the people we could have hired, Mooney seems a very peculiar choice. He wasn't a very good player and doesn't seem like a very nice bloke, so it seems that it's an unusual choice.  I didn't expect to be made out to be some kind of obsessive idiot for making my opinion known. Infact, I didn't even refer to his Blues past, strange.
Well, if you had simply communicated the fact that he'd been hired then I don't think you would have gotten the reaction you received. You tried to use this as a reason to have a go at the club, when, in reality, you've no idea whether it's a good appointment or not. Mourinho wasn't a good player and isn't a nice bloke, would you consider him to be a strange choice for villa manager (ignoring the fact he'd never join us)?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
Sheesh, I only wanted to communicate the fact he'd been hired. I've heard him on a lot of phone ins and he seemed a bit of knob. Compared to some of the people we could have hired, Mooney seems a very peculiar choice. He wasn't a very good player and doesn't seem like a very nice bloke, so it seems that it's an unusual choice.  I didn't expect to be made out to be some kind of obsessive idiot for making my opinion known. Infact, I didn't even refer to his Blues past, strange.

So Villa are incompetent because they hired someone that you thought was a bit of a knob on the radio?

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »

So Villa are incompetent because they hired someone that you thought was a bit of a knob on the radio?

Nope, sorry if you're looking to tarnish me with the brush of somebody who's trying to criticise the club for anything that I can. The point I am making is that there are countless strikers who were/are vastly better than Tommy Mooney in their careers. It also seems to me that he is an unpleasant character and he certainly doesn't speak with any real insight about the game.
To me, appointing a Division 1 journeyman striker seems an odd choice, perhaps by delving into the semantics of my use of the word "incompetence", you've seen it as a slur on the club. I admit perhaps my wording was a little strong, but it still seems to me that when there are so many strikers who have performed at a high level, this particular choice is peculiar. It's not an anti-Blues thing and it's not an attempt to be part of the "McLeish Out, Lerner Out, Houllier Out, Ellis Out" brigade, it really is my suprise at the appointment of someone I'm surprised to see on the coaching staff. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »

Nope, sorry if you're looking to tarnish me with the brush of somebody who's trying to criticise the club for anything that I can. The point I am making is that there are countless strikers who were/are vastly better than Tommy Mooney in their careers. It also seems to me that he is an unpleasant character and he certainly doesn't speak with any real insight about the game.
To me, appointing a Division 1 journeyman striker seems an odd choice, perhaps by delving into the semantics of my use of the word "incompetence", you've seen it as a slur on the club. I admit perhaps my wording was a little strong, but it still seems to me that when there are so many strikers who have performed at a high level, this particular choice is peculiar. It's not an anti-Blues thing and it's not an attempt to be part of the "McLeish Out, Lerner Out, Houllier Out, Ellis Out" brigade, it really is my suprise at the appointment of someone I'm surprised to see on the coaching staff. 

How does his playing career reflect on his coaching ability? Tony McAndrew was a journeyman, Sid was a genius.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
To be fair to bilslim, Mooney's ex thinks he's an absolute knob as well.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
He's rated very highly by the staff at BMH.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
You do know that your not allowed to have a different opinion than Dave Woodhall and the Barton Arms crew dont you?

Offline Legion

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
You do know that your not allowed to have a different opinion than Dave Woodhall and the Barton Arms crew dont you?

What utter rubbish.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
My opinion.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »

You do know how tediously, childishly unoriginal you are don't you?

Offline Legion

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »
Lee N'B: doesn't every bloke's ex think their ex is an absolute fucking nob?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »

A great striker does not necessarily make a great coach, and vice versa of course.
You used the word incompetent, how else was I supposed to see your post other than a completely unwarranted attack on the club for appointing someone you have no knowledge of other than he was an average striker and sounded a bit off in an interview?

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
My opinion.

Which you're not allowed to have.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »
I'm mystified as to why he feels he has to come to games in disguise as I wouldn't recognise him unless he walked around with a big sign saying ' I'm Tommy Mooney'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal