collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Huge Summer....  (Read 45154 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Huge Summer....
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
We've been saying it's a big summer for a few years now.  During O'Neill's time it was about getting the final piece of the jigsaw and keeping our better players (which we failed to do), now it's replacing most of the first team defence and retaining the better players (Bent, Gabby) and the more promising kids (Gardener). 

Will we do those things?  If so we can expect higher mid-table. 

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
i'm depressed just reading this thread

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »

I think thats a very good assessment NZ.

For me Petrov, Heskey, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Cuellar would all go in the summer.All are past their best, and none of them are that good at the moment.

For me, Clark has to play at CB, so a good foil for him is essential, GG would be ,eventually, a central midfielder first teamer, so a Frimpong/Capoue alongside him.Up front, Bent, N'Zog , Ireland and Gabby is as good as we are going to get.Must say an offer of over £25m for Bent would tempt me though, Jay Rodriguez at Burnley would be a player i would be looking at.

I think we hve a good basis of a good team tbh.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
Just had a guy come in to our place who says he knows some people connected to the club. I won't say who just in case. I didn't speak to him but some others did. I can't personally vouch for him.
Reckons that Lerner is selling up in March to some mega-rich folks. Mentioned "3rd richest" (in the world?) which could be (at the moment) Warren Buffet or could have meant Bernard Arnault. Maybe it is the Qataris as rumoured?

Yes, yes, pinch of salt but I thought I'd pass it on. Like I say, I didn't speak to the guy.

Mazrim do you work in a place called Heaven?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Getting rid of Petrov would be madness. When you are in transition, get rid of the deadwood and the troublemakers and keep that which is good. I grant you, he's not one for the future and we should not be building our side around him. However, it is important to have some degree of continuity, particularly somebody who was an important part of what was a very good villa side.

Striking a balance between continuity and change is what makes success in my opinion. Getting rid of Petrov, for me, would constitute a step too far towards leaving us a totally new outfit that could sink or swim. Plus, I reckon he'd be good with the youngsters for another season or so.

Offline myf

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
I was glad when last season ended and will be just as glad when this one has too. assuming we can muster another 10 or so points i think it could be an exciting summer. a case of shipping out the shite left by mon and buying some hard working experienced players to complement the kids.

To my mind it is critical that the kids are kept together as a unit and the team built around them. they could be the basis of a good villa side

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
Just had a guy come in to our place who says he knows some people connected to the club. I won't say who just in case. I didn't speak to him but some others did. I can't personally vouch for him.
Reckons that Lerner is selling up in March to some mega-rich folks. Mentioned "3rd richest" (in the world?) which could be (at the moment) Warren Buffet or could have meant Bernard Arnault. Maybe it is the Qataris as rumoured?

Yes, yes, pinch of salt but I thought I'd pass it on. Like I say, I didn't speak to the guy.

apparently it's not a secret that Randy would sell if the right offer came in. I think as a business person you would have to consider that whether you are actively looking to sell or not. Given some of his issues away from the game, having to dedicate more time to his family in the US, I think he is closer than ever to making a deal. What I convinced about though is that he is a good man, and that he does have a lot of affection for the club. It won't be just about the most money for him in my opinion. I think he'll want to ensure the club goes to a new owner that in some way can realise his dreams and make us great again. I believe he truly came in with the right intentions, was somewhat naive in the man he trusted with his gold and along with other factors got burnt. But I don't think for a second he would just ditch the club. I think it means a lot more to him than that. In a roundabout way it adds some validity to what Maz might have heard.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »

Not for about 50 years or so. Hopefully.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
I have a gut feeling that not much at all is going to happen in the summer.   I believe the plan from on high was to put us in suspended animation

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

apparently it's not a secret that Randy would sell if the right offer came in. I think as a business person you would have to consider that whether you are actively looking to sell or not. Given some of his issues away from the game, having to dedicate more time to his family in the US, I think he is closer than ever to making a deal. What I convinced about though is that he is a good man, and that he does have a lot of affection for the club. It won't be just about the most money for him in my opinion. I think he'll want to ensure the club goes to a new owner that in some way can realise his dreams and make us great again. I believe he truly came in with the right intentions, was somewhat naive in the man he trusted with his gold and along with other factors got burnt. But I don't think for a second he would just ditch the club. I think it means a lot more to him than that. In a roundabout way it adds some validity to what Maz might have heard.

Good post TV.

I still trust in Randy, I just wished the bloke had taken external advice from the start on all things football instead of letting that prick O'Neill run with the show. It may of been different.

I really think he understood the club from the begining on what matters were important to the fanbase, and gave his all in trying to achieve them.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:29:44 PM by diceman »

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
i cant see too much happening really,only the obvious ones going ie Guzan,Heskey,Cuellar,Makoun all going. we have got to keep hold of Bent and Gabby and get a couple of quality midfielders in.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
i cant see too much happening really,only the obvious ones going ie Guzan,Heskey,Cuellar,Makoun all going. we have got to keep hold of Bent and Gabby and get a couple of quality midfielders in.
Agreed. We've lacked a commanding central midfielder for a few years, but I have a feeling AM will bolster the defence if anything. It's his "strength" if he has one!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
Way I see it...........

Keepers- No problem here, in an ideal world Given and Guzan would be the two keepers next season. However having had a taste of prem football, I think Guzan will leave on a free. So maybe a younger number two from the lower leagues to learn from Given?

Defence...where do you start! The main thing I want to see when we kick off the first game in August is a more athletic and younger back 4. To me that means binning out Collins, Dunne and Warnock and bringing in the likes of Nat Clyne, Onouha, Samba, Scott Dann, that Mariappa from Watford prem teams are trying to sign.

Midfield...actually pretty happy with things. This is a "potential" area in that we have lot of young players like Bannan, Gardner and Albrighton who could come good and make an impact at prem level and we also have N'zogbia and Ireland who are enigmas but on a good day can unquestionably win us points and games. I'd replace Petrov with someone like Diame from Wigan, yes not technically as gifted but certainly has more energy about him. I'd also give Makoun anothe chance and move Delph on, don't think it will happen for him here.

Forwards....Happy with Gabby and Bent as our front two. Would move the Fonz out, maybe bring in Rodallega from Wigan to replace him. If Keane can keep his form up, I wouldn't be adverse to signing him in the summer but no more than two year deal please!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »
We've been saying it's a big summer for a few years now.  During O'Neill's time it was about getting the final piece of the jigsaw and keeping our better players (which we failed to do), now it's replacing most of the first team defence and retaining the better players (Bent, Gabby) and the more promising kids (Gardener). 

Will we do those things?  If so we can expect higher mid-table. 

I think if we'd sign Bent at any point in MON's reign, we'd have made the top 4 in one of those seasons.

Ridiculous MON never went in for him when he signed for Sunderland for 10m and we signed Downing for 12m with a broken leg.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »

Hope springs eternal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal