collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Life after Keane  (Read 37157 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Life after Keane
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
Is there a younger cheaper alternative available to Robbie Keane?

I can't think of one in this country.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »
Keane has shown in every game for us that he's different class to the rest of the squad.  He definitely looked frustrated at times last night at the players around him.

In terms of getting him long-term, the one major factor no-one's mentioned is the wages.  We've got a very clear strategy to reduce the wage bill of the team.  The only reason Keane would have gone out to LA (just like the other major players who head out there at the end of their careers) was to get a big final contract to set him up for retirement.  There's no way that I can see us matching the wages LA are paying him so unless he really wants to come back to the PL then why would he move?  Even if he wanted to come back to the PL, he's shown he can play for better teams than us.

As nice as it would be, I can't see it happening.  And that does leave me with a bit of fear for what will happen in March/April when he goes back and we have Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd (three of them away from home) in the space of five games!

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
The fact he's not here to stay is really annoying, not only does he have much more in his locker than I thought, he actually looks like he wants it more than the majority of our older players.
With regards to his position, I really think from what I've seen of Ireland recently, he could fill that gap nicely. Some of Irelands touches and passes are sublime and he's growing in confidence week in week out. If we played Ireland behind Gabby and the Bentmeister General I think that would work pretty well, Gabby is wasted on the left.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
As nice as it would be, I can't see it happening.  And that does leave me with a bit of fear for what will happen in March/April when he goes back and we have Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd (three of them away from home) in the space of five games!

I'm glad they're all away from home;  we seem to play better away, as the expectation of delivering a good performance does not appear to weigh as much on the players, as it does at home.

Would love him to stay, but can see us soldering on without, (hopefully a few will have seen what can be achieved and will take over the mantle).

toplad4u

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

Dempsey is probably the closest

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
or a certain South American player playing for Barcelona, but he probably cost more than Aston Villa.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

Dempsey is probably the closest

Different type of player, IMO.

Keane is a deep striker who links play and brings others in and Dempsey is a midfielder who likes to get in the box.  Best Villa comparison would be Dwight Yorke and David Platt.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised at a summer move for him. Whether he'd want to give up life in LA is another matter though.

I'd actually be against that.  Age will catch up to him eventually, so the big contract he'd want would not be worth it to the club.

Great loan signing, but a financial mistake as a permanent. 

I agree. I definitely would like to see the loan extended to the end of the season but a permanent deal doesn't strike me as the best move financially. We should have our scouts out looking for the next Robbie Keane.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
I agree. I definitely would like to see the loan extended to the end of the season but a permanent deal doesn't strike me as the best move financially. We should have our scouts out looking for the next Robbie Keane.

According to Mat Kendrick, an extension to Keane's deal is not going to happen becuase it cant so he will be gone come the end of this month

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »
He must be one of the best loan signings we've ever made.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »

Carbone?

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
We will miss him. He certainly is a quality player. I for one wanted him, especially when I realised he was only 31. I thought he was much older. The only worry I had was when someone who I can't remember on here saying they had seen him play in America and said his legs were shot.

Offline supertom

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
Hopefully we go back in for him. I've always been a Keane fan. He hasn't got the pace he had back in the day but he's a really clever player. He's one of those few strikers who has the vision and technical ability that he could play in midfield well too. But yes, when he floats in the whole he's a real threat. A bit like Zola in some ways. He's that kind of player who can think 2 steps ahead.

He does link well with Ireland. They're both technically gifted and can instinctively play off each other well. I think possibly when he goes, Ireland will push up and Bannan will slip into Irelands spot and hopefully those two can be an effective creative unit. The only problem is that Keane's goal threat would not be replaced.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised for this to be a regular thing and to see him back here next spring again except this time for longer, as soon as the transfer window opens (á la Donovan at Everton and Beckham at Milan).

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »

Carbone?

Definitely my favourite.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal