collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Does Shay Given shout enough?  (Read 4631 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Does Shay Given shout enough?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »
Given is the least of our problems. Our defensive woes are down to how we defend as a unit rather than any individual.

This. Given is brill

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:54 PM »
I don't think it's a major point in all honesty. Utd's defence weren't brilliant in the early 90's because Schmeichal kept rollicking Pallister and Bruce. The amount of times defenders hang up their boots and are asked about the loud keepers they've had behind them, and invariably they say "I ignored him half the time."

But yes, Given could shout more and it'd help...a little bit. But frankly defenders shouldn't be told what to do, they should fucking do it.

The way people talk about footballers sometimes you wonder if they're mindless moronic robots. If a ball comes in, clear it. Always play safety first. If a shout is required to let a defender know he's got someone on his blindside, then I'm sure Given would do so.

For me it's not the keepers job to organise the defence it's between the coaching, and the whole defensive unit as a whole.

What can given do about his fullbacks tackling like pillocks, or his centrebacks looking like their playing on different pitches? He can't.
Given's still one of the best in the business. When we've had better defenders in the past, we've defended better. And when we've had better management we've defended better. It's not even purely down to tactics, it's man motivation too. Players who bust a gut for MON did nothing for Houllier and are giving the minimum for Mcleish.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 01:41:02 AM »
The way people talk about footballers sometimes you wonder if they're mindless moronic robots.

Not robots, because then I'd expect them to be consistent and efficient.  But mindless and moronic...yep, I'd say that's  most footballers.  Jam for brains.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:35 AM »
For me it's not the keepers job to organise the defence it's between the coaching, and the whole defensive unit as a whole.

I've got to be honest but from my playing experience that is far from the truth.  In one of the teams I played in (an extreme example) the keeper pretty much dictated the organisation of the defence and a chunk of the midfield.   Maybe I have had shit mangers but rarely have they had much influence once the match has started beyond substitutions.

It was rumoured when we signed Given that he lacks organisational ability however I think a new keeper is way down on our list of priorities especially with Guzan in the wings (who certainly doesn't lack shouting ability).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal