collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: #Browns owner Randy Lerner might not be the guy you thought he was.  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-custodian/Content?oid=2805785
The Custodian
Browns owner Randy Lerner might not be the guy you thought he was
by Vince Grzegorek

Randy Lerner is wearing a Browns Backers Sri Lanka T-shirt and khakis when he greets me at the team's headquarters in Berea late in August.

"Hey, I'm Randy, good to meet you," he says, offering his hand.

The Browns owner, who has rarely spoken to the media since taking over the team after his father died in 2002, has been described as aloof, media-shy, private, and absent. And those are among the nicer things said about him.

Lerner, for better or worse, has never helped his PR cause, offering fans little insight into his thoughts or his life, and leaving reporters a short list of adjectives by which to describe him.

"You like it?" he asks, nodding toward the wall in a room that includes a pair of 10-foot, Browns-themed Fender guitars and a glass display case housing Jim Brown's cleats and other mementos.

But the eye-catcher is a two-story mural of a Muni Lot tailgate party that dominates the other wall. It's the piece Lerner is referring to.

"It was actually done by one of my friends, an English guy," he says. "He wanted to get it right, so he went around the tailgates, met people — there's Taj, and the Bone Lady, and there's others. He actually rented a helicopter on his own dime to get a bird's-eye view."

It's great, I say.

"But he got one thing wrong," Lerner laughs. "He's from England, so when he painted the highway — see there — he has the cars going the wrong way." Sure enough, traffic is barreling along on the Shoreway as if the patch of Cleveland asphalt rested in London.

Lerner, whose gray hair belies a face more youthful than his 49 years (he'll be 50 in a few weeks), detours through the Browns' film room as he leads us back to his office, greeting employees by name along the way and asking questions. Always asking questions.

"You grow up here?"

Yes, Clevelander since birth.

"Browns fan?"

Oh yeah. For life. No need to ramble off the list. Just tears. Always tears.

"Me too. I was there for all of it. Me too."

The list of interviews given by Randy Lerner during his tenure as Browns owner is relatively short. He has unabashedly talked about his desire to stay in the background, letting his football people and the players on the field make up the public face of the team. That public face, however, was never a single face, but a collage of the various misguided, ineffectual, and thankfully departed figures who have been unfortunately, unforgettably, and unmistakably ugly for more than a decade. The one constant has been Lerner.

Which is part of the reason why I e-mailed the Browns back in July to ask about a sit-down with him. Even with so little information, it was easy to tell Lerner was not some Mr. Burns, holed up in a mansion-bunker, with little regard for the common man whose cash he hoovered into a vault.

The other reason: Lerner announced over the summer that he would be making a permanent home in the land of his birth. His son Max had enrolled at St. Ignatius High School, so Lerner set up shop on the West Side for full-time Dad duty. Instead of spending a couple days a week in Cleveland and the rest in New York, where his other three children live with his ex-wife Lara, the script would be flipped. He would still fly to England on business for his other sporting property — Aston Villa, the soccer team he bought in 2006 — but the majority of his time would be spent on the shores of Lake Erie.

My pitch: Browns fans could benefit from getting to know the man. If he wanted to talk over practice, at a game, over ice cream, that'd be great. On the off chance he was down for it, we could get a Browns tattoo together. (Lerner, as has been widely reported, has the Aston Villa crest tattooed on his ankle.)

A month and a half later, the Browns media relations guy called to ask if I could meet Lerner in Berea.

That meeting in August would be an off-the-record, get-to-know-you chat. Two more of them followed in the same manner, all leading up to, I assumed, an interview. It turns out those informal talks were the interviews — at least part of them, as Lerner eventually said to use whatever we had chatted about for whatever came of this. Two more talks followed, making five in all — August, October, December, and two in January — spanning a 2011 season in which the Browns finished a painfully familiar 4-12.

The portrait of Lerner that emerged from those meetings was a compelling one, at times diametrically opposed to public perception; at others, refreshingly informative, like seeing a puzzle when it's just started and then again when it's half-finished. He's a thoughtful and deeply intelligent man, contemplative, starkly candid and honest, readily aware of his mistakes, hopeful about the future, cognizant of the past, keenly aware of tradition, passionate about his family, his teams, and his hobbies.

And, as it turns out, not at all like Mr. Burns.

Randy Lerner stops me the first time I use the word "owner."

"I don't like that word," he says. "Owner means you bought something. What I am ... I like to think of it more of a custodial relationship, a stewardship."

Lerner doesn't just mean that he inherited the team — that he's taking care of his father's legacy, though that's certainly part of the equation. He means the team is owned by the Lerner family trust, and he has a responsibility and obligation to its members, both current and future. He means he's the shepherd of a tradition, something he cares deeply about. He means the team is a larger civic concept and possession. He means that in a large way, it's the fans' team, not his.

Of all the other owners in the league — the Jerry Joneses, the Daniel Snyders, the newly rich, the old money — he's closest to those in similar ownership situations, the legacies. The Rooneys in Pittsburgh, the Maras in New York. And not based simply on familial lineage, but out of respect for the long, storied, successful histories of those teams.

Green Bay, too, which is an organization Lerner greatly admires. He recently passed among his front-office staff an article from Business Week called "The Green Bay Packers Have the Best Owners in Football." The piece chronicles the wild and sustained success of the only team in the NFL owned by the city in which it plays. It's an arrangement now forbidden by league rules.

But that idea of public ownership — the team as city property, a civic institution never to be taken away — sticks with Lerner. "I think it should belong to the city," he says in a hypothetical reverie.

In 1899, England's Football Association created a rule, later to be known as Rule 34, that restricted the profits of member clubs. Shareholders could take only a 5 percent dividend, and directors were not allowed to be paid. The idea was to legislate the protection of clubs as nonprofits, to ensure they were not run out of greed. Directors, history notes, should be "custodians" — that word sound familiar? — and running the team was a public service, all in pursuit of keeping the heart and soul of the sport pure and ticket prices affordable.

Lerner likes to talk about Rule 34, which obviously isn't in effect any longer. He gave a speech on the arcane, now almost-unthinkable idea at Clare College in Cambridge, where he studied for a year before graduating from Columbia.

"It really just gets to the heart of the idea of ownership," Lerner says while miming like he's twisting a screw. He often talks with his hands — pointing, gesticulating, demonstrating. "What does it mean to own one of these teams? Are they just playthings? Toys for the super rich? Are they public service? Civic institutions?"

Lerner's role now that Mike Holmgren is in the building has settled mainly on league and business matters. That means sticking up for the average Cleveland fan more than you would think, especially if you assume it's all sponsorships and corporate partnerships and big cardboard checks.

For starters, he's proud that the Browns have the third- or fourth-cheapest average ticket prices in the league. "That is important. When I look out in the seats, I want to see a real cross section of what Cleveland really looks like," Lerner says. "But it's not easy. That's shared revenue, and I have to defend those ticket prices to other owners who ask, 'Why don't you charge more?'"

The Browns, incidentally, also have the cheapest beer prices of any stadium in the league.

But consultants and experts are always looking to squeeze every penny from the finite commodity that is stadium real estate, which is to say: You, Joe Clevelander, should be happy that a guy at the top speaks for you when New York comes calling with an idea on how to pry an extra dollar from you.

Tradition — including sacrosanct institutions like, say, the Dawg Pound — is worth defending in the face of cold, harsh spreadsheets. Lerner is not afraid to raise his voice or let his temper go when the NFL brain trust proposes changes that run contrary to the very ethos of Browns football and the city of Cleveland itself. He is against his team playing a "home" game in London, as other teams do each year, and he's opposed to selling the naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium.

While on this topic, Lerner reaches down and picks up one of the dozen helmets that fill the coffee table in his office. Some are signed, some are not. All are orange, except for this one: It's white, with numbers on the side and orange and brown stripes running down the middle.

Back during the Carmen Policy era, he says, the NFL came to the Browns with a new design for the team's uniforms. It was that godawful helmet, paired with a jersey that, from Lerner's description, sounds like a garish mash of angles and blocks of color.

"I just laughed," he says. "I took the helmet as a souvenir though."

At this point, in late August, the Browns have played only two preseason games. Asked in a very general sense how he's feeling, Lerner pauses for a considerable while, then answers.

"The quarterback position is what keeps me up at night," he says.

It's easy to take that as a referendum on Colt McCoy, who was just entering his first full year as a starter at the time. But it wasn't. Neither was Lerner's answer when asked during a recent interview with Mike Trivisonno on WTAM radio whether McCoy could be the starting quarterback next season.

"I suddenly lose the ability to speak when I'm asked that question," he joked. By that, he simply meant he wasn't going to decide McCoy's future. Translation: Go ask the GM.

Lerner, in those few interviews he's done over the years, mentions the position often, emphasizing his belief that the quarterback is the keystone of a football team — a role that, unless settled, derails any chances of winning.

Randy Lerner is not a professional football talent evaluator, not an X's and O's guy. He has opinions, sure, and he bounces them off his staff, sometimes to deaf ears in past years. (Browns fans: Would you have preferred Drew Brees over Derek Anderson?) But he hires football people to make those decisions, defers to their choices, and lives with those decisions as the rest of us do.

The decisions haven't been very good: Two winning seasons, one playoff appearance, a record of 68-140. That's the sum total of the Browns' accomplishments since returning in 1999. And that 10-6 mark in 2007?

"A fluke," Lerner says. "It wasn't sustainable."

"You can't depend on things like Derek Anderson running down the sideline to win games," he says.

Two years into the Mike Holmgren era, Lerner is relieved, emboldened — ecstatic over the atmosphere they've built.

Lerner's demeanor, which had been cheerful and optimistic, changes when talk turns to the days before Holmgren's arrival. As if he were recalling a nightmare, his stare grows a little distant, his mouth goes slightly agape when he describes what might charitably be called a toxic workplace.

"Not good," he says simply. "Just unbelievable." Indeed, the list of failed and disgraced executives and coaches in Berea is almost as long as the list of failed quarterbacks.

Former GM Phil Savage and his "fuck you, go root for Buffalo" e-mail to a fan is just the tip of the iceberg. In the background, there's John Collins and Butch Davis and Carmen Policy and, for a hot second, coach Eric Mangini's hand-picked GM, George Kokinis, who was unceremoniously fired after just nine months on the job. The rumors involving the latter's dismissal are still the juicy nuggets of media gossip, but they are eternally protected by confidentiality agreements signed by both parties after Kokinis' grievance against the Browns was settled.

Lerner, despite his impressive memory of people and dates and times, has trouble recalling so much as the man's name, which might be a testament to just how badly he wants to forget that mess of a year. He calls the week in which he fired Kokinis the single lowest moment of his ownership.

It was November 2009, and the team had just embarrassed itself in a 30-6 loss to the Bears that dropped the team to 1-7 halfway through Mangini's first season. That day, Lerner spoke to reporters, offering up a rare, impromptu font of emotion.

He said he wanted to find a "strong, credible, serious leader within the building to guide decisions in a far more conspicuous, open, transparent way." He was "sick" over the state of the team. Asked about the current iteration of the seemingly constant fiasco at quarterback and why Brady Quinn wasn't playing, he said, "I haven't been told about anything."

That strong, credible, serious leader would be Mike Holmgren — The Big Show, a man Lerner had coveted for years, but whom he pursued with heightened urgency as the season crumbled. Lerner finally landed his man in December 2009. Tom Heckert, who was on the Browns' short list of GM candidates after the 2008 season, would join one year later. Pat Shurmur, a rookie head coach, would be named Mangini's successor.

Lerner is confident he has the right team in place this time. No, seriously. He readily admits that he's made mistakes, and he's paid dearly — he's still paying dearly, in the form of millions of dollars in contracts for guys doing analysis on television, working for other teams, or sitting on their couches. He also knows he's paid dearly for those choices on the field and with the fans, and he owns those failures. In a way, they've informed and provided contrast to the present.

"At some point, if things never change, you have to look at yourself and decide if you're the man for the job," he says about his track record. "But I'm definitely not there yet. I believe what we have now is going to work.

"Mike is a pro. He runs every inch of this building. Tom and Pat are both young, smart, passionate guys. Tom is a bona-fide GM. You talk to the guy and you know this is what he's meant to do. They'll be here for a long time building this thing together.

"I know now why the other guys didn't work," he adds. "I can see that now. And I can see elemental reasons why this is different."

The week before the Browns are scheduled to visit the Raiders in week five, Lerner invites me over to watch a few minutes of closed indoor practice before heading to his office to chat.

Peyton Hillis has been in the news for what seems like weeks. First, sitting out a game because of symptoms from strep throat. Then unnamed sources leaked word that teammates felt he sat out because of his contract stalemate. Then came the running back's comments about the comments — all of it feeding the relentless 24-hour NFL news cycle.

"Who do you like out there?" Lerner asks, his eyes on the practice field.

Given the dearth of exciting playmakers on offense, and out of genuine appreciation for the guy's athleticism and hands, I answer tight end Evan Moore.

"I'm a fan too," Lerner says. "He just needs to block."

As the offense and defense take a break, kicker Phil Dawson takes to the turf. A couple of field goals sail wide right. Lerner declares his love for the fan favorite and half-jokes, "I think he's more comfortable outside when it's really windy."

Holmgren walks over from his perch on the sidelines and grabs Lerner for a minute. Hillis smiles and chats with teammates.

The knobs on Lerner's office door are orange Browns billiard balls drilled out and given as a gift. One entire wall is covered by a painting, 20 feet long or so, created by John Alexander, an artist who lived close to Lerner in New York. It's called "Inside a Nuclear Explosion," or something like that, and it's a vividly colorful abstraction depicting exactly what the title suggests. When you look closely, however, faces and animals jump out at you, then water. Step back again, and it's an entrancing, logical mess.

"I don't know, I just liked it. There's a bunch of orange in it," Lerner says. "I guess it reminded me of the Browns."

The wall behind Lerner's desk is decorated with an assortment of pictures — his children, his father Al, collages by another artist friend, a painting of Brooklyn that Al Lerner had above his desk, and a framed photo of a set of empty bleachers with the words "1996 Cleveland Browns Team Photo" printed underneath.

Despite all the drama swirling around Berea, the conversation settles into anything but football for a short while, starting with Lerner's favorite versions of "Hoochie Coochie Man." Muddy Waters is at the top, naturally.

There's also Son House's "Death Letter" — Lerner's a blues man, if you couldn't tell. Ron Wood's solo effort I've Got My Own Album to Do also makes the list. And Hunky Dory, because who doesn't love Bowie.

There are no guitars in the office, but Lerner's home is littered with them. He's been playing since he was young, when his mom would take him to play open-mic nights in a club on Murray Hill. He still plays with his friends and his son.

Before long, Lerner has to move on to another meeting.

Uh, I should ask one Browns question. What the hell is happening with Hillis?

"That's actually what me and Mike talked about earlier during practice, whether this is becoming a distraction or not. He doesn't think it is."

Randy Lerner made a trip to Afghanistan in late fall. It wasn't his first, won't be his last. His Marine roots run deep. Al Lerner was proud of his time in the service — flying the Marine Corps flag outside the stadium and in Berea — and Randy has spent most of his adult life involved with the Marines in one way or another. He's co-chairman of the U.S. Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, a member of the Business Executives for National Security, and he was co-creator of the Marine Civilian Development Program, a short-lived post-deployment assistance system for returning vets.

Because of some of his previous work with the government, he has security clearances that allow him to travel fairly easily to the war zone.

On his last trip, he spent time with soldiers near Kabul, toting Browns gear along the way, stopping in to visit, to talk soccer with whoever wanted to talk soccer, football with whoever wanted to talk football, and general bullshit with whoever just wanted to bullshit.

"It's an intangible but worthwhile thing you do over there," he says. "Just talking to them. Letting them know you care. Distracting them from whatever hell they're going through."

"I don't have a political bone in my body," he continues. "I've never given a cent to a political party. I don't think we should be over there, but that doesn't matter."

He pulls up an e-mail to a soldier on his Blackberry. A guy Lerner had met in the British army had told him he met a Clevelander — perhaps the biggest Browns fan on the planet, or at least in Afghanistan. He passed along contact info for the soldier, who then received an unsolicited e-mail from the Browns owner.

"I really like going over there," he says. "You get a better sense of what matters and what doesn't."

What matters, or at least what mattered back in the realm of the Cleveland Browns, once Lerner returned from overseas, was a season that was going very much according to prior scripts. That, and the concussion suffered by Colt McCoy during the Steelers game.

How the injury was handled during, immediately following, and in the days after the injury had blown up into a national story. Shurmur said during his Monday press conference that McCoy had been examined for concussion symptoms on the sideline. Two days later, Holmgren said otherwise. McCoy's dad had chimed in somewhere in the middle, quoted by The Plain Dealer saying that there's no way his son should have returned to the field. League representatives investigated the timeline. Though the Browns were cleared by the NFL, the story didn't seem to stop.

As for how the Browns became the bad guys? Lerner partly answers the question, then diverges off into a tangent. Naturally, that tangent involves Thucydides' history of the Peloponnesian War and the great debate in Corcyra. Along with art and music, Lerner is fascinated by history. He fell in love with Lincoln's letters when he was 9.

Whether it's a conscious acknowledgment or not, part of the reason Lerner isn't more media-friendly is because his answers don't fit the sound-bite mold. They meander, wrap around, pause while he collects his thoughts, split off from football to ancient Greece, and swing back around, with one more pause while he makes sure he's covered everything. That's not always the case, but it happens with some regularity.

Ask whether an empty stadium bothers him, and the simple answer is "Yes, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I understand people's frustrations. I understand their anger. I understand why they're not there. I think things will change when we win." But the detour to get to that answer includes visits with Karl Jaspers and Hannah Arendt.

Another query gets Lerner talking about an essay he is working on about "The Hedgehog and the Fox," an essay by British historian Isaiah Berlin on Tolstoy's view of history. Lerner hopes to deliver his piece back at Clare College in England later this year.

Eventually, the conversation circles back to football.

No one, at least in some semblance of a reasonable mind, believes that the mess of the last decade can be turned around in one year. Holmgren and Heckert's plan takes time. The Big Show said as much after the season concluded when he was asked about a timetable and answered by rattling off the time it took — five years here, seven years there — to reach the Super Bowl in his previous stops in Green Bay and Seattle.

"They said when they started it was a three-to-five-year plan," Lerner says. "Mike said, 'Here's how long it's going to take to do this right,' and I said OK."

Lerner say all of their internal metrics say they need at least 30 or so highly-graded players to make the playoffs. "You look at any playoff team, and sure, there are going to be exceptions, but you look at any playoff team and that's what you're going to find. Now, in any given year, between free agency and the draft, the best you can typically hope for is to add seven of that type of player that can help your team. More often, it's more like five. So you take seven players times five years, and that's where you get those numbers."

And the cupboard Holmgren and Heckert inherited was pretty bare of highly-graded players.

If you're looking for comparisons — beacons of hope even — look no further than the Houston Texans and the San Fransisco 49ers, both of which made the playoffs this year after relatively recent streaks of lowliness, and both of which are models of sort for how Cleveland hopes to rebuild.

In the wake of a four-win campaign, the postseason press conference with Holmgren and Heckert grew testy at times.

"They were frustrated," Lerner says. "We were all frustrated. We thought we were going to win more games this season. We improved — we were in a lot of those games — but they wanted to go up there with tangible evidence that there's improvement. We know it's happening, but they wanted to be able to say, 'Here, here's how many more games we won this season.' You can only say 'trust us' so many times. This isn't a religion. This is football.

"We have to win more games next year," he says. "We will win more games next year. I truly believe that. And there's a small part of me that hopes that as we've been going like this [miming one step at a time], that this offseason, if things go right, that we'll make a big jump."

It's a busy day in Berea, plenty of meetings and guests to go around. Bernie Kosar walks into Lerner's office at one point for a short visit, the topic of which centers around failed marriages, nostalgia, and Kosar's insistence that, "not to badmouth the guys that came before, but what they're establishing now is a culture of trust and professionalism."

Holmgren is the next to stop by. He just had an injection in his hips, a once-a-year treatment to get him through another 365 days pain free, and he's off to Arizona for a few days to recharge the batteries and rest the joints.

Then Bernie and Lerner exit, leaving Holmgren.

"I am only here because of him," The Big Show says of Lerner.

During his sabbatical in 2008 and 2009, Holmgren says, he wanted to take some time off to evaluate what to do next. "I was pretty sure that wasn't going to be coaching." He was talking to Jerry Jones in Dallas, among others, about a variety of positions.

Lerner had reached out in 2008, but hadn't heard anything back. In 2009, Holmgren's agent told him Lerner wondered if he'd be available to chat.

"Randy flew down to Arizona, where I have a house, and we had a long talk one night. Me, my wife, and him," Holmgren says. "He was passionate and very personally honest in a lot of ways. My wife does a lot of missionary work, and I had never been able to do that with her before because of the job, so I told him I would think about it. I'd go on this trip with her to Mexico to pour concrete in some small town for a school for a week, and I'd get back to him. He said that was fine. Actually, you know, his father Al had told me, back when Butch Davis was here, he told me at the 50-yard line before one game that 'I really wanted to hire you.'

"When I came back, I called him, and I went to Cleveland. I'm here because of him. That man.

"I don't get why everyone's so worried about the owner," Holmgren continues. "I worked for a guy in Seattle, Paul Allen, one of the richest guys in the world, he co-founded Microsoft, and he said nothing."

Heckert joins the conversation briefly, offering additional emphasis on Lerner as a participating, committed, and passionate owner. "Randy cares," he says. "He wears losses as much as the rest of us, if not more so."

Holmgren talks about the strides made this year and how important the coming year will be. The summary: It's big. Steps were made, steps need to be made.

With that, the decision-makers excuse themselves, and Lerner reenters his office. He'd left, incidentally, to give Holmgren a chance to speak his mind without the boss sitting across from him.

This was the first full year Lerner has lived in Cleveland in a long time. What he understood about the fans from a distance and from regular but short trips back has crystallized with more time.

"Things like going to the gas station and just being around, I think I have a more intimate perspective. I understand the anger," he says. "I understand the bitterness."

There was plenty to be angry about for Browns fans in 2011. Lerner knows that. He also understands the knocks the team took in the press.

"Listen, we screwed up a lot. I know that," he says. "We deserved a lot of what was said."

Lerner made a promise some 31 months ago to do an interview on Mike Trivisonno's show, and it's about time to make good on that promise, he's decided.

"I'm not this guy," he says about the public version of himself that he's created almost entirely on his own over the years. "It's time I started doing something about that."

Immediately following that declarative statement, Lerner admits it's a hard transition to make. He's still not entirely comfortable with the idea — Triv will be his first interview on TV or radio since taking over the team — nor is he confident that he'll ever be comfortable. He's mentioned this personal initiative to be more publicly transparent in his few interviews over the years, though it seems to be a refrain without action.

The topic of tattoos finally comes up. Yes, there's the Aston Villa crest on his ankle, but Lerner also has three other tats: a Celtic knot on his back (four knots, four children), a quote from Odysseus to Calypso in The Odyssey about the idea of home, and one that is a "Browns reference."

"It's not a helmet or anything," Lerner says. "But it's a Browns reference."

Rumors of the Browns' desire to draft Heisman-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III have been swirling through the media, but the media itself has become the focus of Browns news of late.

Two weeks ago, Plain Dealer beat writer Tony Grossi inadvertently tweeted a Lerner-bashing message intended to be sent directly to a colleague. "He is a pathetic figure," Grossi wrote. "The most irrelevant billionaire in the world."

Grossi quickly deleted his words, but not before they were captured for posterity on the internet. Sources soon told Scene that the errant tweet had landed Grossi in hot water with his bosses.

The paper announced a few days later that Grossi had been reassigned from the Browns beat. "That tweet, from a Browns beat reporter, we felt and I felt very strongly, was inappropriate and unprofessional. It's not what a journalist covering a beat can express," Managing Editor Thom Fladung told 92.3 The Fan the morning after Grossi was bumped.

Conspiracy theorists believed Lerner and the Browns had demanded Grossi's removal, and/or that The PD made the decision in deference to the Browns' opinions. That claim was refuted by multiple PD editors.

Lerner says he didn't talk to anyone at the paper before the decision was made. He confirms that he saw Grossi's message, but he has little else to say on the matter. "I think it's best for me to just go about my business and leave The Plain Dealer to theirs."

Incidentally, it's solely the ignorant who believe the only relevant people in the world are those who stand up and say, "Hey, look what I'm doing!" Lerner makes plenty of charitable contributions, both publicly and otherwise. His $5-million-plus donation to the National Portrait Gallery in London was among his more visible acts, and the Lerner family's philanthropy around Cleveland is impossible to overlook. But that money finds many other outlets too: a local non-profit printmaking workshop, an organization that needed to hire a specialty nurse. Last week, he stopped by the Boys and Girls Club in Slavic Village, and he's in the process of donating a painting to a children's hospice in England that's long been the recipient of his time and money. Lerner's also working on an endowment with the Marines, or perhaps a permanent scholarship.

"Pathetic" and "irrelevant" are not words that come to mind. But Lerner knows he will always have his critics.

Asked about those who still blame his father for being an accomplice to Art Modell, he says: "I don't have a great answer for that. My dad spoke for himself in an interview with The Plain Dealer. He said he was helping a friend. Does it change anything that he donated X millions of dollars to the Cleveland Clinic? No. It's in the past, and we're trying to build a winning team. There's no wiggle room there."

He says he's taking the "AL" uniform tribute to his dad off the jerseys after next season. "It will have been ten years."

A small army was on hand in Randy Lerner's office as he conducted his interview with WTAM, ever-nervous and hyper-prepared for the appearance. And it went over well; the public response, he says, has been overwhelmingly positive.

"The e-mails and actual letters I received were heart-warming. Mainly, I think it helped just to say something."

Not to belabor the point, but the Browns and Randy Lerner believe in what they are doing. "We are not beleaguered, we are not going to lay down, this is not business as usual," says Lerner. "We are working hard to turn around this fucking nightmare."

When offered the opportunity to share a message with the team's fans, Lerner says only this: "It's a massive privilege to be in the position I am with the Browns. A massive privilege."

Browns fans just hope that Lerner has it right this time, that he can finally wake his team and his city from the nightmare that never seems to end.

Contact the author at vgrzegorek@clevescene.com

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: #Browns owner Randy Lerner might not be the guy you thought he was.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Can someone sum that up? Can't be reading all that

Offline dAVe_d

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
In summary, Randy Lerner may not be the man you thought he was.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »

He's got a Villa Tattoo on his ankle. 

Offline Villanation

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
You must of copied and pasted that, either that or you where up at it at 4 this morning.

Offline CBAV06

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50:32 PM »
It was written by a local journalist in the Cleveland area, the OP included the link.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »
He drinks Guinness in London.

Offline Aston Manor

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
Either we don't get him or he doesn't get us.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »
Disappointed with this thread, from the title I was expecting someone to take off Randy's mask Scooby Doo style and reveal Old Man Parker from the motel.

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »
What it say is, don't be put off and don't make judgements on the fact that he isn't the most public persona on the block, don't think that he doesn't care or suffer defeats easily. It says that he's an easy target because he doesn't do the media shit, ergo, he's not the man that you think he is. Good article, really good, and worth reading. I hope he does one over here for Villa, we need it!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:08 PM »
tl;dnr

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22:50 PM »

Randy's a quiet but nice guy
Randy wants his football team to do well
Randy lets his managers get on without interfering
Randy has appointed some dreadful managers
Randy thinks he has it right this time though
Randy is trying to be a bit more public
Randy is not Mr. Burns

Online DrGonzo

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
If you replaced the 'Mike Holmgren's for 'Martin O'Neil's they'd shit themselves.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
What it say is, don't be put off and don't make judgements on the fact that he isn't the most public persona on the block, don't think that he doesn't care or suffer defeats easily. It says that he's an easy target because he doesn't do the media shit, ergo, he's not the man that you think he is. Good article, really good, and worth reading. I hope he does one over here for Villa, we need it!
He did James it was in the Times back in November - not the 10 season epic like the one in Cleveland but it captured all the salient points.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »

Randy's a quiet but nice guy
Randy wants his football team to do well
Randy lets his managers get on without interfering
Randy has appointed some dreadful managers
Randy thinks he has it right this time though
Randy is trying to be a bit more public
Randy is not Mr. Burns

In other words, he's pretty much the guy I thought he was.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal