collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: #Browns owner Randy Lerner might not be the guy you thought he was.  (Read 11414 times)

Offline James

Re: #Browns owner Randy Lerner might not be the guy you thought he was.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
What it say is, don't be put off and don't make judgements on the fact that he isn't the most public persona on the block, don't think that he doesn't care or suffer defeats easily. It says that he's an easy target because he doesn't do the media shit, ergo, he's not the man that you think he is. Good article, really good, and worth reading. I hope he does one over here for Villa, we need it!
He did James it was in the Times back in November - not the 10 season epic like the one in Cleveland but it captured all the salient points.

Was it similar? I still think another one now wouldn't go amiss, but then with our own website he could just write a letter without having to give an interview. Shame I missed it (but then I don't read The Times of course!)

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:14 AM »
One of the most important points about Randy Lerner (or most other owners) is that he's not Ken Bates.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:00:02 AM »
One of the most important points about Randy Lerner (or most other owners) is that he's not Ken Bates.
Or Kenny Burns!

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 03:02:47 AM »
A fan of "Rule 34"... against the Browns ever playing a home game in London... and against selling the naming rights to the stadium.

He'll do for me.

Online Rico

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
So the article tells us that he doesn't like to interfere with playing matters and that the last ten years have been pretty dire for the Browns, and the fans will come back when the team start winning again. Well that's just great for us isn't it? As an owner your supposed to interfere when things are going wrong. You employ the managers and coaches. It's down to you to put it right when it goes wrong. And ten years of being crap! Great! Thought we'd done that with the Ellis years. Oh and one other problem. You can be dire in the NFL permanently and get away with it permanently. They don't have relegation! Time for Randy to take a more hands on approach me thinks. Or at least employ someone who knows what they're doing because this stand back and see how it pans out approach doesn't appear to work.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 08:58:45 AM »
Can someone sum that up? Can't be reading all that

Randy's a quiet but nice guy
Randy wants his football team to do well
Randy lets his managers get on without interfering
Randy has appointed some dreadful managers
Randy thinks he has it right this time though
Randy is trying to be a bit more public
Randy is not Mr. Burns

In other words, he's pretty much the guy I thought he was.

I can't remember what I thought he was.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
What it say is, don't be put off and don't make judgements on the fact that he isn't the most public persona on the block, don't think that he doesn't care or suffer defeats easily. It says that he's an easy target because he doesn't do the media shit, ergo, he's not the man that you think he is. Good article, really good, and worth reading. I hope he does one over here for Villa, we need it!
He did James it was in the Times back in November - not the 10 season epic like the one in Cleveland but it captured all the salient points.

Was it similar? I still think another one now wouldn't go amiss, but then with our own website he could just write a letter without having to give an interview. Shame I missed it (but then I don't read The Times of course!)
Pretty similar but obviously all things Villa I'm sure if you do a search on here you'll find the thread about it (try Lerner exclusive?)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »
"he's made mistakes, and he's paid dearly — he's still paying dearly, in the form of millions of dollars in contracts for guys doing analysis on television, working for other teams, or sitting on their couches. He also knows he's paid dearly for those choices on the field and with the fans, and he owns those failures. In a way, they've informed and provided contrast to the present."

The first bit sounds very familiar doesn't it?  In other words he's f**ked it up on both sides of the Atlantic.  It's one thing owning your mistakes, and you can afford to do that when you have a few billion in the bank, it's another to learn from them and not repeat them. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
He's not the owner of his mistakes, he's the custodian of them.  He's merely looking after his mistakes so that future generations can suffer from them as well.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
He thinks he's got it right this time? In other words when mcleish ask's for money he can tell him no and he won't walk away

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
He's not the owner of his mistakes, he's the custodian of them.  He's merely looking after his mistakes so that future generations can suffer from them as well.

Haha!  Very good.

Offline WarleyWonder

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
Why has the General suddenly suddenly gone quiet?

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »
Reading the article there's a little parallel between Randy's recruitment of Holmgren and his recruitment of Houllier.  It seems Randy knew of each man's reputation for quite a while before he ended up persuading them to come out of retirement to take over his teams.  I'm not sure what this signifies in particular but it does make me wonder whether persuading folk who have retired to give it one more roll of the dice is the best and most dynamic way of moving an organization forward. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
I can see the logic. After MON it was important we got back to football.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »
I can see the logic. After MON it was important we got back to football.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Regardless of what you think of them personally, football-wise MON was a great appointment, Houllier a shocking one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal