collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time to bring in the kids?  (Read 7019 times)

Offline myf

Re: Time to bring in the kids?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:44:35 PM »
There are enough kids in there already, although I don't see any harm in experimenting with the full-backs.  I'm really struggling to see what all the fuss is about Bannan.  Some tidy passes but never seems to split a defence or take anyone on.  Overated IMO.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:53:16 PM »
Could Lichaj and Baker do any worse than Hutton and Warnock?

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
I'd love to see all the kids get a start, firstly, to kick all the first team up the arse and secondly, to actually see what they can do, our youth team/reserves are more consistent for one thing. From what I've seen Eric is a fairly competent RB, and fair play Hutton as good as he could be has been pretty much cack for 95% of his tenure. Clark will be the next Cahill if he doesn't start more regularly and I can see Chris Herd being a lot like Everton's Tim Cahill. The thing is you can't just have a bunch of 21 year olds out there and the introductions need to be with the right balance of experience and a system that suits to their strengths.

My midfield would be Albrighton, the Zog, Petrov and Ireland, every 3rd game I'd Stick Bannan in for Ireland and rotate between Gardner and Bannan for example.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
There are enough kids in there already, although I don't see any harm in experimenting with the full-backs.  I'm really struggling to see what all the fuss is about Bannan.  Some tidy passes but never seems to split a defence or take anyone on.  Overated IMO.

I don't think he's had a decent game since the drink drive incident.

Main one I want to see get minutes is Gardner.

Lichaj can play both full back positions so his chance can't be that far away with the two clowns we have there at the minute.

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
Once we get to 40 points put a team out like this.............. 
            Siegrist
Lichaj Clark Williams Baker
    Gardner Herd Delph
Albrighton             Bannan
             Weimann
Subs,  Barrett(gk), Stevens, Johnson, Delfouneso, Lowry, Carruthers.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
I get the impression that what we're seeing right now is sort of a trial period where they are getting their first team chance.  Some will take it and some won't.  What that then means is come the summer we'll have a better idea of where we need to buy.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
            Siegrist
    Gardner Herd Delph
             Weimann

We'll have to buy Lowry back from Millwall then

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
            Siegrist
    Gardner Herd Delph
             Weimann

We'll have to buy Lowry back from Millwall then

Oh yeah I forgot that, He still showing with us on the OS.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

Tend to agree re Bannan.  Had a good game against Blues in the cup last year, neat and tidy-ish in his passing  and shows lots of confidence in grabbing free kicks.  However his freekicks have been mostly poor, his attempts at incisive passes tend to be over ambitious and easily cut out, and his general play is a bit underwhelming.  Nowhere near as good as he seems to think he is. I was hoping for more.

Also agree about the FB's, difficult to see how they could be any worse.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
It is nice to keep the kids in the team but don't cut out Stephen Ireland or Darren Bent as we need them.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
It's time to put Eric and Edna in for sure, no doubt. Eric can do a job, we don't know about Edna but let's find out, look who he'll be replacing!

It's ENDA.

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
It's time to put Eric and Edna in for sure, no doubt. Eric can do a job, we don't know about Edna but let's find out, look who he'll be replacing!

It's ENDA.

Yes but Edna sounds better.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

I don't think he's had a decent game since the drink drive incident.

Main one I want to see get minutes is Gardner.

Lichaj can play both full back positions so his chance can't be that far away with the two clowns we have there at the minute.
We could drop Hutton and Warnock, bring in Lichaj and tell him he has to cover both positions on his own and I still reckon he'd do a better job than those two combined have been.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
Gardner should be starting games before too long as Clark is starting to struggle a bit in central midfield, he's the main one I want to see play regularly between now and the end of the season.

I think the problem with Lichaj is he's a bit short of fitness, he was out for 4 months with a hip injury so can understand McLeish being reluctant to put him in. I would imagine it won't be too long before he's in one of the full back spots as he can play both sides.

I think Stevens will be sent on loan. I just don't see him going straight from the Irish league to the prem, it's a gigantic leap. He hasn't even made the bench yet which suggests he still needs to adapt a bit.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
I get the impression that what we're seeing right now is sort of a trial period where they are getting their first team chance.  Some will take it and some won't.  What that then means is come the summer we'll have a better idea of where we need to buy.

I agree John. I much prefer that sort of structured approach where they get their opportunity alongside more experienced players to help them learn the ropes rather than just chuck them all in and let them sink or swim.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal